Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Life in Minneapolis

Registered
    Oct 2003

Life in Minneapolis

Hi all.... I know you all get bombarded with ?'s about which schools to go to, etc, but it's my turn...

I'm a junior at Wright State University in Dayton and I will (hopefully) be graduating sometime in November 2005. I am seriously considering moving to Minneapolis after I graduate. My question(s) is... should I move to Minneapolis and attend grad school for my MPA (which one?) or move to the city and wait for grad school after a few years? I know that it all depends on the market up there (which is great), but I am concerned as to whether I should apply for grad school while I'm still in Dayton and then move, or move first, wait a while, and then go to grad school?

I know it sounds like I'm high on something, but I really want to follow my dreams- and Minneapolis is it. Let me know what you all think, is Minneapolis a good city to live in (besides the snow!), what would be a nice grad school to attend...and what is the cost of living difference?

Feel free to email me at stanford.4@wright.edu.... I appreciate it!

Jay
    Business Development Manager
    Union County, Ohio Economic Development Partnership

Registered
    May 2003
    What is your degree in?

I have the understanding that it's difficult to get a job in the field of planning without a masters in planning.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    What is your degree in?

I have the understanding that it's difficult to get a job in the field of planning without a masters in planning.

My BA is in urban affairs/economic development and I have a certificate in non-profit management through American Humanics, Inc. of Kansas City. This summer I'll be interning at the Belmont County Department of Development/CIC.
    Business Development Manager
    Union County, Ohio Economic Development Partnership

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Minneapolis is a very nice city. Be sure to look into the classes offered in the Geography Department. It is among the best urban geography programs in the country.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally posted by daytondevelopment
    I am concerned as to whether I should apply for grad school while I'm still in Dayton and then move, or move first, wait a while, and then go to grad school?

I know it sounds like I'm high on something, but I really want to follow my dreams- and Minneapolis is it. Let me know what you all think, is Minneapolis a good city to live in (besides the snow!), what would be a nice grad school to attend...and what is the cost of living difference?

Jay
    Hi Jay- I lived in the Twin Cities for 5 years- it's a great place to live. I would suggest live in either Minneapolis or St. Paul (St Paul is my preference), though. The outer suburbs are bigtime sprawled out. Living there is probably a bit more expensive than Dayton (home prices, rent). We paid over $700/mo in a tiny one-bedroom apt in the Highland Park neighborhood in St. Paul in 2002.
    If you want to get in-state tuition, I think you need to live there 1 year, so that might make for reason to move their first before attending school.
    check out homestore.com for cost of living differences. By the way, there really hasn't been much snow there (but it can get awfully cold...)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I feel that I'm qualified to answer your question. I moved to Minneapolis right after undergrad because of an obsession with their bike trail system. I started working as an intern at a consulting firm and got hired full-time after a month or so. Well, at that firm, it wasn't necessary to have a brain, so I got bored and quit. I then worked for a really cool non-profit (for free) and now I'm getting a MRP at UNC.

Minnesota's planning program is pretty much packed with people from Minnesota, and from what I hear, is not that strong. Hence, although I liked the city, I did not apply there.

Minneapolis is a great place to live, not totally expensive, but friggin cold in the winter. It's only other drawback is that people who grew up in MN never leave, have all the same friends as HS and are reluctant to let other people into their cliques. That's my only warning!

But, I advocate the random move after graduation! It's an exciting thing to do.

Quote Originally posted by daytondevelopment
    Hi all.... I know you all get bombarded with ?'s about which schools to go to, etc, but it's my turn...

I'm a junior at Wright State University in Dayton and I will (hopefully) be graduating sometime in November 2005. I am seriously considering moving to Minneapolis after I graduate. My question(s) is... should I move to Minneapolis and attend grad school for my MPA (which one?) or move to the city and wait for grad school after a few years? I know that it all depends on the market up there (which is great), but I am concerned as to whether I should apply for grad school while I'm still in Dayton and then move, or move first, wait a while, and then go to grad school?

Jay

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Greetings from Minneapolis!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 May 2012, 1:25 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 18 Mar 2011, 9:25 PM
  3. Minneapolis APA Conference
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 159