Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Organ Donation? (RIP in peace JMW)

Registered
    Oct 2003

Organ Donation? (RIP in peace JMW)

I don't think I had mentioned it previously, but my father in law has been in poor health with end stage liver failure. He was very close to actually receiving a liver, but got an infection at the hospital and died last Wednesday. Having been a part of the sickness for the last two years, I have changed my attitude about organ donation. I am now an organ donor, though I can't remember why I wasn't in the first place!

Are you an organ donor, if not, why not?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I signed up as soon as it became on option on Florida driver's licenses. When you're dead, you're dead, you might as well help someone else if you can.

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Not enough people sign up to be organ or marrow donors, and too many people lose.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sorry to hear of the FIL.

Yep, I'm a registered donor but I doubt my liver will do anyone else any good by the time I'm through with it.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    My condolences to you and your family in your loss.

I have been an organ donor since I was 15 and old enough to have a driverís license. Just this past week a good friendís father, a man I had known since I was 4 years old, was lucky enough to be the recipient of a double lung transplant. He had been sick for the past few years from a rare condition he developed from working as a chemist in the nuclear industry in the 1970ís, and came within what his doctors thought was only a few weeks of dying before the organs became available.

Organ donation is a noble and selfless thing to do. And besides, youíll be dead. What are you going to do with your innards then anyway?
    Last edited by biscuit; 02 Sep 2004 at 10:04 PM. Reason: my, hopefully reusable, gut told me that I was a bad speller

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Another donor here. I figure if I can't use 'em, someone else might as well!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Donor here, too. I'd rather have someone use what's left of my organs before they become worm food. And like Chet, my liver may not be much good to anyone except for a quick pick-me-up.

(hey look at me; up to 1,500 posts. I knew there was some reason to log on tonight)
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 02 Sep 2004 at 8:41 PM. Reason: self-promotion

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Donor here too but I think I am leaning toward an efficient cremation so somebody else moght as well used them.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'm a donor but who wants the heart of a heartless Republican?

I just hope some chunks of me can help some one.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I am so sorry to hear about your loss Ludes. My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

I also have been an organ donor since the age of 15. A couple of weeks ago, I had my address changed on my license (I always kept my FL license) and was shocked to hear a few people in line at the DMV not want to be organ donors. I wanted to shout at them, "You are dead, so let someone else live by giving them something you can't use, you idiots." So when they asked if I wanted to donate any extra money to state supported programs, I donated a few bucks to the Organ Donation Education program.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've been an organ donor since I got my first learner's permit at 16. Since I do split time in EMS, I see the need. A guy I went to school with needs a kidney transplany something bad, and has been on the list for a long time with no matches. As the saying goes "When you die, don't take your organs with you. Heaven knows we need them here."
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I've signed the donor card and my next of kin know my wishes.

I am a donor and so is Mrs. G. As others have mentioned, it'd be pretty damn selfish to keep 'em after you're done with 'em.

Sorry to hear about your loss ludes. Best wishes to you and your family.
    Je suis Charlie

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Uses Codes concerning donation boxes
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Sep 2012, 10:08 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 11 Aug 2010, 4:05 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 11 Aug 2010, 2:05 PM
  4. What happened to mall organ stores?