Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Reading, PA - Planning Department Cuts/Resignations

Registered
    Apr 2003

Reading, PA - Planning Department Cuts/Resignations

I got an e-mail from a friend in Reading PA this morning… (he is leaving now too)

I will let you read, and would love to hear your comments. By the sounds of it, things have not gotten better.

Having no urban planners is not exactly a solid plan for the city

* note: The reporter is a great guy to fully understands the problems with Reading and is not afraid to publish them. I do not know of any cases where he has mis-quoted the staff, and he does a good job showing the feelings of those he interviews.
    Last edited by michaelskis; 08 Sep 2004 at 2:09 PM.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Typical Political Attitude

What a raw deal for Reading.... The surest way to ruin a City is to remove its ability to govern the quality, type, location and speed of development through planning. Poorly informed politicians don't get it and City Managers seem to busy looking for ways to save a buck and look good in the short term by demanding 200% productivity (not to mention keep their jobs for more than 2 years).
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I smell a "Why Reading, PA is going to hell" thread coming on...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    I smell a "Why Reading, PA is going to hell" thread coming on...
    Good call!

The one planner that they will have left is a good guy and knows the city better than anyone I have ever met. The sad thing is there are so many projects that he wants to do, but the Mayor and the other controlling forces limit (and eliminate) his options for proactive development.

The city as it is needs alot of help. Why did the hole deeper?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Planning and economic development are so intricately linked that it is almost impossible to separate them. Unfortunately, very few planners or economic developers realize this. As a result, economic developers often pursue ridiculous paths to idiotic ends (as Michaelski's previous post about Reading demonstrated) and planners are often completely blind to market forces or the economic consequences of the processes or recommendations. When the two work closely together, however, cities can achieve remarkable outcomes. Fortunately, Reading does not understand this, and to the rest of us, it is not competition, but does provide a good laugh. My advice to the planners there? Run!
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Why even have a city government if they are willing to let the county guide planning decisions? Why not let the county run everything else too? And how many city-only issues would a county planner be allowed to work on?
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1916
    Last post: 28 May 2015, 9:01 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Sep 2010, 7:15 PM
  3. New Planning Department??
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 06 May 2005, 8:40 PM
  4. Replies: 178
    Last post: 03 Dec 2004, 12:28 AM