Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Urban planning as a profession

Registered
    Sep 2004

Urban planning as a profession

Right now I'm a pre-business student freshman. I have always had an interest in cities and transportation and layout etc. I just recently tried to find on the internet if it were a profession or not and got this website. Can I get some info on the job, how much it pays, do I need to be elected to get a job, can I minor in urban planning, etc.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Orion
    Can I get some info on the job, how much it pays, do I need to be elected to get a job, can I minor in urban planning, etc.
    There are similar threads on this topic already you might try reading. Don't expect to get rich as a planner. No it is not an elected position. As for minoring in planning, that would depend on your college. I haven't seen a job posting for a planner yet that would accept a minor in planning.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Check the Student Lounge for more threads on this topic. As for a minor in planning...I'd say if you had a greater interset in Public Policy or a realted field first, and a passing interest in planning, that would be why you'd choose the planning minor. I myself double majored in college...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    One of the more popular minors for Bach Public Administration students at Texas State is urban and regional planning. Talk to your advisors/professors in both the business school and planning school about what you are wanting to do and maybe they can give you some guidance for where that could take your career. If it turns out that you are really into planning, you might consider a double major or switching your major to planning and minoring in business. That might be helpful in getting you on the private sector side of planning.

As for how much you can make, it really depends. Don't expect to be living in some palace on a hill, but most of us make a comfortable living. The American Planning Association website has areas for job postings as well as most state chapters of the APA. You can also check with your state municipal league, association of counties, etc for job information and listings. Here's a link to the APA to get you started: American Planning Association . You might also check with your planning school to see if they have a copy of the APA salary survey.

Hope that helps!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Orion
    ...can I minor in urban planning, etc.
    Some places offer it as a Major or a Minor. If not, you can look at Geography, they might have the classes you are looking for. APA is a good place to start, also check with your state chapter of the APA. They may be able to find someone to meet with you, find programs, and maybe scholarships.

As for the getting rich, if you are smart enough determined enough, and creative enough, you can get rich doing anything.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2004

Don't Bother

I wouldn't bother with a minor in urban planning (even if available). Focus on GIS or some other subject that is of more use with a career....
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 May 2010, 10:11 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 15 Nov 2009, 3:51 AM
  3. What is the planning profession really like?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 19 Aug 2008, 8:01 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 16 Jun 2008, 7:33 PM
  5. Planning as a profession
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 20 Sep 2007, 1:38 PM