Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Howya Doin'

Registered
    Jul 2002

Howya Doin'

Hey everybody!

I'm Pete, a planner from Chicago, IL. Well technically, an unemployed planner, as I was laid off from my job as a planner with a local Chicago architecture/planning firm in March. I've got a few good prospects; I expect to be working again by late August or early September, but I'm mostly enjoying one hot summer here.

Briefly, I got my master's in urban planning from the University of Illinois-Chicago in 1990, and then spent seven years (in two stints) working as a planner and project manager with the City of Chicago's Department of Planning and Development. In between those two stints, I worked with not-for-profits engaging in community development work. After my second tour with the City I spent a little over one year in the private sector before the layoff.

I usually tell those who ask that I got involved in planning as a result of growing up in Detroit in the 1970's. Could one grow up in a city with a worse image at the time? My thinking about Detroit's decline and exodus, even as a pre-teen, was that the city needed people committed to its revitalization rather than divorcing themselves from it -- physically, emotionally and economically.

I'm glad to be a part of this. I like engaging in thoughtful (I hope) planning discussion.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome Pete -

As long as you've got your summer free, be sure to head up to Milwaukee's Summerfest this weekend!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    One question: Is it any less crowded and more orderly than the Taste of Chicago? The Taste is a mass of humanity I usually can do without. The food, however, is unbelievable.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Summerfest beats Taste hands-down. I was at Taste last Saturday, then came back to Summerfest Sunday, even with the oppressive heat and 90,000 in attendance, the crowd wasn't bad. But dang, I hate it when people have little kids there after 9pm! Stroller Hell I can do without.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Yea, summerfest is better. The taste is way too crowded and I don't like spending 3 hours to get a slice of pizza.

Welcome pete-rock.

Registered
    Jun 2002
    Hey there fellow Chicagoian!

Welcome aboard. I was at the Taste last tuesday and it was nice. But I think that Summerfest in Milwaukee is better.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Holiday Weekend!! What you doin?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 09 Oct 2004, 6:31 AM