Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Variances

     
    Registered
    Aug 2004

Variances

Applications for variances in our municipality require site plans and buidling plans.
    Question, when a permit is submitted for the approved variance must the site plan and building plan match what was approved in your community?

I am having problems with applicants for the permit deviating from the approved site plan and building plan. For example, an approved variance for a sub-standard lot width did not include a side stoop and side walk extending to the detached garage in the rear of the new-single family residence. This had been an issue raised by an adjoining neighbor at the hearing.

Thanks for any advise you can offer. This forum has some very good information.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by THOFF
    Applications for variances in our municipality require site plans and buidling plans.
    Question, when a permit is submitted for the approved variance must the site plan and building plan match what was approved in your community?

I am having problems with applicants for the permit deviating from the approved site plan and building plan. For example, an approved variance for a sub-standard lot width did not include a side stoop and side walk extending to the detached garage in the rear of the new-single family residence. This had been an issue raised by an adjoining neighbor at the hearing.

Thanks for any advise you can offer. This forum has some very good information.
    In my city what they submit has to be exactly for what the Variance was granted.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    May 2004
    My experience has been that the variance request is for a specific item, and that alone (although I have seen appicants with several variance requests for a single property -- each one for a specific request). For instance, specify the number of feet that the variance is for, for instance reduction from 10' to 8' for a setback.

It sounds like you have applicants that are making a variance request while doing some speculation in the process, and that the design is not entirely complete.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero
    In my city what they submit has to be exactly for what the Variance was granted.
    This has been my experience, too. But the sidewalk which most likely didn't require a permit anyway, who cares?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    This has been my experience, too. But the sidewalk which most likely didn't require a permit anyway, who cares?
    I suspect that the sidewalk encroaches into a required buffer zone?

If it is something which normally must be permitted, and does not meet the code, it needs a variance. If all the site plan shows is a building encroaching into a setback area, for instance, then that is all that the variance grants. If they add a sidewalk in a required buffer zone and it was not shown on the site plan for which the variance was granted, it is non-conforming.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Most people lose sight of specifically what variances are really for. They are for extremely unique circumstances and if applications are reviewed strictly to the legal standards, 99% of applications would fail. My recommendation is always to deny, because in nearly every case, if the variance is denied the landowner still has economic utility of the land, therefore the strict application of the zoning ordinance would not constitute a "taking".

As far as waivering from the approved variance, inspect and enforce the code. If they have to tear something out, make em. Or better yet, make them apply for an amendment to their variance and then have the Board of Appeals (whatever it's called in your jurisdiction) berate them publically and then deny the request for an amendment. Stomp on the bastards. Word will get around that you mean business and this sort of thing won't happen as often.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Where I have worked...they must be exactly the same...
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by tsc
    Where I have worked...they must be exactly the same...
    Same here... things are approved based on any and ALL information provided by the applicant. If that info has changed, the decision may change as well.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Variances and subdivisions
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 26 Nov 2013, 1:20 PM
  2. Conditional variances
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 09 Nov 2009, 10:53 AM
  3. Administrative variances