Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: AIB ....I don't know & don't really care

Registered
    Aug 2001

AIB ....I don't know & don't really care

Another Friday night by myself without much ambition to cook. So I stopped at Publlix for a six-pack but didn't feel like cooking tonight. I bought a frozen pizza (that tasted like cheap cheese over cardboard). What a life....

What do all the singles do here to save a few $$ and still feed themselves a healthy meal? RJ out to burn one to a butt.

Jake & Rob't Mondavi enjoying the rest of the evening (with apologizes to BUN)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    well, I am not single, but still dont cook, and still home on a friday night. Mrs. H and I went over to the local pizza joint for pizza and beer earlier. It was a cheap evening (less than $20 total). and it comes with a salad..so that is healthly. o

BTW, we eat a lot of sandwiches.

she doesnt cook either.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I do a lot of quick meals for me plus I also find places to eat out that are healthy but not expensive. Okay, it adds up to eat out so much. I chalk it up as a "medical expense" (and, no, I don't want to explain).

I do a lot of "just add boiling water" stuff, but beef it up:
    I take cup-a-soup and add stuff to it: rice or vermicelli (broken up) and a little salt, swirl an egg into the boiling water, serve with hardy crackers. Or fresh corn on the cob with homemade potato soup or canned soup. Or polenta or grits with fresh fruit and some kind of protein (cheese, bacon, etc).

Or I have fresh fruit with cheese and crackers or with a sandwich.

Or I do frozen stuff -- microwave meals, individually frozen chicken (it takes an hour or so to cook it -- it is no trouble to also make baked potatoes with it); frozen hash browns or potatoes o-brien with bacon and cheese and apple slices.

For Manly Meals, when my husband wants to grill steaks, I cut up yams, onions, and a pineapple and toss that on the grill to go with the steak. Or I encourage my kids to make french fries or something easy like that as a side dish for the meat. This is sometimes a good time to do one of those packaged side dishes, like the noodles that only boil for 7 minutes and come in several flavors.

I used to cook a lot from scratch. I don't have the time or energy to make big meals from scratch right now. So unless my 17 year old starts homemade pizza (and does most of the work), almost all of our meals are "quick and easy". But, because of my health issues, I cannot compromise much on quality.

Dude, I'm single and vegetarian(but who gives a **** about that). The quick meal I always rely on that I just can't get sick of is Progresso Lentil soup, one can for US$2.99 or two for 5.00 with a grocery store card. A fat salad with crumbled feta and a tasty salad dressing-its healthy enough. On the extra cheap I eat black bean and rice burritos. Spaghetti with Classico spicy red pepper sauce -not really spicy but I really like it. Chicken salads are great idea's for simple meals.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    You are single and male, statistics tell us that you are going to die early no matter what, so make it a quick death and eat lots of unhealthy food at places like Hooters and BW3's, McDonalds and so on. At least it will be a quick coronary attack rather than a long slow lingering death.

Its not your actions in life that detirmine your status with the devine being, but the stories that are told about you after death that define your life.

I'd join you if I were closer as I am in the same boat!

UUUMMMMMM! DEEP FRIED FOOD!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    One word buddy: LEFTOVERS!

I'll cook a couple of meals with basic stuff and then spice it up with extras. This is really easy to do with grilled/baked chicken. Just have it by itself one night, add noodles and marinara for chicken marinara another night, toast a couple of buns and have a grilled chicken burger, add it to a salad to make chicken taco salad, etc.

I've also found that if you *slightly* undercook hamburger paties you can nuke them in the microwave as needed and they stay juicy. You can add ground beef to lots of things like Rice-a-Roni one night and use it to make spagetti the next.

Fish is something fairly easy to bake and can be spiced up several different ways (note: microwaving does not work well on this, TRUST ME!)

Basically, I take something fairly plain and dress it up a little different each night so it doesn't get dull. Oil-based salad dressings are really good for marinating chicken. I grill and bake a lot, but that's mainly because I don't like fried food all that much. For salads I just try to find lots of different stuff to put on it to keep it from getting boring. I'll look around and see if I can find some of my "easy-n-cheap" recipes.

Also, it helps to have a coworker that's old enough to be your mom; our city secretary has kind of adopted me and brings me leftovers on occasion! Also, my parents are close enough that they occasionally feed me out of sympathy.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    In my not so distant single days I ate a lot of spinich, tomato and feta salads, and baked fish or chicken. These are all pretty cheap, healthy and easy to make for a single serving. I'll admit, however, to having a weakness for pizza and ate a lot of them before getting married. I'd buy those Tony's frozen pizzas (cheap) and then doctor them up with extra cheese, mushroom and artichoke hearts, and then sit down and eat the entire thing in one sitting - Healthy, I know.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    When single I'd cook extra and freeze the leftovers for lunches. Or cook a cornish game hen (perfect for one person). The other option is to get packs of chicken breasts and cook them up for dinner- so many options with that: over spaghetti with some sauce, make a sandwich, cut up over a salad, make a pita, shred it and make a burrito. Those packages for red beans and rice are good. Oh, and if you don't feel like cooking chicken the precooked Tyson strips are pretty cheap and two servings in one package. They re-heat well and are perfect of any of the above mentioned (although a little messy for sandwiches). Also, baked potatoes are pretty good, depending what you add to them. Check out your meat section at Publix- they should have cubed cooked turkey and ham in a small package and that's great of making club baked potatoes- just add the extra you want. Those pasta packages are okay, you just add milk, water, and butter (I leave that out) and if you throw in some frozen borc. or peas and some chicken with a salad on the side you've got a meal.
    I don't like frozen meals so much because of the salt content, some have more salt than you need for two days.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    You are single and male, statistics tell us that you are going to die early no matter what, so make it a quick death and eat lots of unhealthy food at places like Hooters and BW3's, McDonalds and so on. At least it will be a quick coronary attack rather than a long slow lingering death.

Its not your actions in life that detirmine your status with the devine being, but the stories that are told about you after death that define your life.

I'd join you if I were closer as I am in the same boat!

UUUMMMMMM! DEEP FRIED FOOD!
    Gee, thanks. What an uplifting set of comments. But then again, maybe you're right.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'll steam a big pot of frozen mixed veggies and boil some raman noodles. Its about as much effort as a frozen pizza, CHEAP, and much better for you.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Well goes to show you even married we don't eat any different than you.
    We ate pizza from SAM's Club ( I Know don't hate me) they really make a good pizza. It fed four of us for $8.00. But I had to cut a few corners this eve. Lunch at the local all you can eat chicken house cost us close to 60.00. Not a place we will go often but that was our slurge for the weekend.

During the brief time I had the opportunity not to have to cook for others.
    I always try to keep a bit of fruit on hand . Peanut butter and crackers or cheese and crackers. I agree leftovers. If I can fix a meal one time and freeze either just the meat to grab later. Pre cooked chicken works great with bit of rice. I always try to do a few thing up ahead for the week. Dice some onion and or peppers and keep them in a baggy. A bit of shredded cheese a bit of pre cooked chicken and you throw it in a skillet with rice or beans or ramen and you are eating pretty quick.

Besides what else do you have to do except take care of your self. So do it.
    Eat the things you like and chose some that are good for you.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I make big casseroles for my son and me, or a pile of pork chops or something, and freeze the leftovers for lunch. And of course, always a veggie, fruit, etc with it. Except lately, I keep having to toss it all and file an insurance claim for lost food...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Gee, thanks. What an uplifting set of comments. But then again, maybe you're right.

Somebody has to be a realist around here!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Buy food that you can freeze, or dry food, and brake it into smaller meals. (ie, break up hamburger into 1/2 or 1/4 pound sections and premake hamburgers. For food that can not be put into the freezer or that is dry, buy less. I am also a fan of those frozen chicken pieces in a bag.

Finally, buy a grill! I did not realize how much money it saved me, how good the food was, and how quick it was to go from frozen to cooked.
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Nursing care and home care assistance
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 01 Oct 2013, 5:26 AM
  2. Doggie Day Care
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 17 Jan 2008, 9:14 AM
  3. Do you take care of your shoes?
    Friday Afternoon Club