Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Guess the City 197: Special Bonus Edition

Registered
    Apr 2003

Guess the City 197: Special Bonus Edition

Ablarc is only allowed to chime in after the 5th guess (if it makes it that long).

Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Could it be.. Hartford CT?

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I'm guessing Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, for some strange reasons that I cannot explain right now.

Poor ablarc is censored under a stringent condition!

Providence?

Baltimore.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Okay, so Kevin is partly right. One of the pictures is of Baltimore.
    He gets a point if he tells us which pic. it is.

The other two are are not Baltimore.

anyone who guesses all three gets the bonus point.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Nov 2003

Registered
    Aug 2004
    The topmost picture looks like it could be Philadelphia or a rather deceiving view of New York (although I wonder why Chicago's Carbide and Carbon building is there). The middle one is Baltimore, and the bottom one is either Baltimore or Boston. They all kind of look like an East Coast-ified Chicago anyway.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    The middle picture is Baltimore.

I know Ablarc knows what the top picture is as he followed up with another pic of his own. Fire away Ablarc.

     
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    The bottom one reminded me of Boston

Way Off Topic

All of the coolest cop drama's come out of Blatimore, Why is that? Homicide was great and HBO's The Wire is imho the best crime drama since Columbo. Laura Lippmann writes an inspiring and thouroughly enjoyable series of books revolving around a character (Tess Monaghan) in Baltimore. What is it about a city that produces or draws such great entertainment idea's?

"the city had reported 271 killings in 2003, compared with 253 in 2002. It's a 7 percent increase" CNN

Baltimore as of 2003 had a population of 628,670 down from 651,154 in

Is violence a catalyst or magnet for the creative types?

THE WIRE will examine the concept and nature of reform and the role of the political leadership in addressing a city's problems... Observes David Simon, "More than characters or criminal procedure or even the drug culture, we are trying to write about the city itself, with Baltimore standing in for any number of American cities sharing the same hopes and fears and contradictions."

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    The top picture is NYC - Manhattan - adjacent to the Main Library.

The others could be Big City anywhere.

Though the last could easily be NYC - Manhattan (upper-westside - 9th-ish and 60th-ish) or, wait, somewhere City Center - Philadelphia (the very narrow street)
    Last edited by mendelman; 07 Sep 2004 at 10:50 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Two points for Mendelman and one for ablarc

The top picture is from New York's Bryant Park facing southeast with the main branch of the NY Public Library on the left. The Empire State Bldg. is just to the right of that frame.

The middle picture is of (correct me Baltimoreans) Howard St. looking north.

The bottom picture is from 13th&Sansom in Philadelphia looking west down Sansom.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 19 Sep 2005, 5:04 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 17 Nov 2004, 10:45 AM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 16 Jun 2004, 12:38 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last post: 19 Apr 2004, 11:39 PM
  5. Replies: 25
    Last post: 21 Aug 2002, 5:58 PM