Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New grad student with interest in international economic development

New grad student with interest in international economic development

Greetings all!

In the last few years I have used Cyburbia frequently to learn about planning as a profession, perusing the many threads and posting questions for assistance with graduate school options (thank you for your kind insights). Now that I am enrolled as a first-year graduate student in planning, I hope to become more active in the forums. Although I am eager to send off a line of new questions, I should begin first by briefly introducing myself!

I am a native of Northern California and have spent the last three years living in Spain, Germany, the Czech Republic, and Brazil. My frustration with suburban sprawl in California was met with an avid appreciation of the dense, mixed, small-scale spatial structure of European cities. After selling my car and learning Spanish, German, and a little Portuguese, Iíve now returned to the US to complete a graduate program in City and Regional Planning.

I plan to focus on economic development, but am entirely unsure about where I will want to work after graduation. While returning to Europe or Latin America for work is alluring, my love of San Francisco conjures up the idea of seeking a career in the Bay Area.

In my studies I plan to focus on urban economic development in multilingual neighborhoods and how it interfaces with immigration and language policy. Itís a pretty broad subject, and aside from reading articles from the Brookings Institute and the Urban Institute, I have little information about how the subject is being handled by practitioners.

If anyone has interest in these areas, or could direct me to better sources of information, it would be gladly received. I look forward to hearing from you!
    Last edited by gitana; 06 Sep 2004 at 9:31 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Willkommen! Interesting study area. Not something I can assist with, but good luck!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome aboard (also born and raised in northern California).

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Greetings and welcome. Best wishes in your future endeavors.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Wilkommen, from a Bay Area resident with a German-born mom.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome from the world of econ dev.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Welcome from Chicagoland!!!!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    welcome
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Welcome from Minori, Japan's sister city.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Welcome from New York State's southern tier.
    All these years the people said heís actiní like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Welcome from the fabulous expanse of Northern Colorado, not just a place, but a state of mind.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Mar 2013, 2:56 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Dec 2010, 11:27 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Feb 2010, 9:47 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Nov 2009, 1:19 AM
  5. Replies: 3