Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your chance to name drop

Registered
    Feb 2004

Your chance to name drop

This weekend I stopped at a charming little bakery for a croissant. You know, the bakery where I met Bill Clinton when he was campaiging locally. The croissant was almost as good as the appetizers they served at this party I once attended in San Bernadino.I believe Dusty Hill (of ZZ Top) remarked it was the tastiest cream cheese he'd ever had. But you know those musicians, they love their food and drink. Neil Young once asked me where a good place to get a beer locally was. Naturally, I sent him to the Pilsen Klub.....

We've all met someone famous and for some completely irrational reason we believe that some of that fame somehow rubs off on us for having stood in that person's presence. Double points if you actually speak to them.

Cyburbia, here is your chance to namedrop.....
    (Cyburbians living in California have an unfair advantage in the celebrity siting department, so they only get half point values)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    recently:

Hillary Clinton
    Teddy Kennedy
    ...and the boys from OCC...I was watching TV with Mikey in fact.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Living in NH, I've had the opportunity to meet many presidential candidates over the years.....one's I've spoken to:

Bill Clinton
    Paul Tsongas
    Tom Harkin
    Bob Dole
    Lamar Alexander

Also, before her tragic death, I had the opportunity to meet Christa McAulliffe, who was a teacher at my high school (I was in 6th grade when I met her).
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Bill Clinton, Neil Young - ha! I saw Weird Al Yankovich eating at a late night restaurant. My friend's sister went over to talk to him and her jerk husband was actually jealous that she was talking to Weird Al Yankovich. :rolleyes:

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I was an extra in a really bad Tom Berringer movie. I think you can see the back of my head for a split second.

Dave Matthews bought my wife a beer and then proceeded to hit on her. She said he's greesy and not very good looking in person.

I was in a dive bar in Carleston at about 3:00 with some friends and about 15 other people when a very drunk Darius Rucker (Hootie and the Blowfish) got up on stage and said everyones drinks were on him for the rest of the night. Needless to say I stopped drinking Beam and made the switch to Makers Mark.

Ran into Sally Struthers at the liquor store a few months back. We had a nice chat and I got an autograph from her that read "To _____, Big love. Sally Struthers.

One for you cult movie fans...Over the past year the wife and I have become good friends with the actress who played Agent Rogersz in Repo Man. Through her we've meet a few acter types, mostly Broadway people who I wouldn't know from Adam, and the guy who wrote the screenplay for Philadelphia. She's an awesome woman, with some good stories and dirt, and was nice enough to send us an album of really well done black-and-white photos she had taken at our wedding.
    Last edited by biscuit; 07 Sep 2004 at 10:41 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    At a restaurant in downtown Denver, my party had to wait for a Mr. Peter Forsberg (World's #1 Hockey Player, for those who don't know) to finish up at our table. After we got seated, he was still there standing and talking to a friend, my buddy and I then talked to him and got a picture with him. Nice guy, definetly made me feel cool for the rest of night.

I'll try to upload the picture later...

I also saw the first Bush speak at a rally in Denver in 1992 when I was in school. He shook my hand as he walked to the limo.
    Also Clinton drove down a busy street near the house I grew up in while I was in high school, I saw the motorcade (Does THAT count?)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    I met and spoke to (for about 10 mins) John Mayer in February of 2001. He was playing at the Iota Club in Arlington, VA and a friend and I took our fake IDs (it was a 21+ show and we were 19 at the time) and we made it in. At the time, Mayer was opening for the former lead singer of the 90s group Toad The Wet Sprocket, you may remember their fleeting hit, "All I Want".

I met Andy Petitte when I was 11 when he was on the Albany-Colonie Yankees. He signed a baseball for me.

I've met Governor Pataki too, but that wasn't as cool.

I always see a lot of famous people in the City, but I never meet them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    A few of my many stories can be found in this previous thread.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Back in the days when I was a newspaper reporter, I got to meet a few celebrities. At the Special Olympics (I was a reporter, not a competitor!), I met Marlo Thomas, Arnold the future Gov of Ca, Chris Reeve and Dick Sargent (first guy I ever saw with an earring other than a pirate). Gott o interview the Guess Who in their hotel room, and wondered if the hot chicks were groupies or wives. They invited me to their after concert party but i had a deadline. Also met Jimmy Buffett when he did a concert at our mutual alma mater. In Montana I ran into Carroll O'Connor (a former UM grad) and Michael Keaton.

And I suppose that they too can brag to their friends that they once met an up and coming planner known at Otterpop.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    I saw Weird Al Yankovich eating at a late night restaurant.
    ROTFLMAO!!!
    Various Indian teachings define a 'darshan' as the sighting of a master, god, saint or other spiritual entity. It has great religious significance to the beholder. I am dying while contemplating that one's tie-in to the sublime might involve beholding Wierd Al Yankovich!!!!
    Slightly OT: anyone remember the Mojo Nixon song 'I saw Jesus at McDonalds'? I guess it was a psuedo-autobiographical account of an experience Mojo really had while tripping. The lyrics went something like:

I saw Jesus at McDonalds at midnight
    Said he wasn't doing alright
    Said he didn't feel so fine fine fine
    Said he's 'bout to lose his mind

I saw momma humpin' Santa Claus
    Said it was because of menapause
    That's why she had to have Rudolph too
    You know yo' momma loves to -----

I saw Moses at McDonalds
    I saw Bhudda at a Burger King
    I saw Confucious at a Kentucky Fried Chicken
    I saw the RamaLama from Alabama at the barbecue pit on University

So anyways Jesus says 'I'm goin' to take you to some place you need to be'
    So I said 'take me Jesus'....
    So I look around around and everywhere I look I see couches
    Not the kind you want to sit on but the kind you want to sleep on
    And the trees had these kinda beer taps on them
    And out of them was coming a mixture of gin and Mountain Dew
    And I said I love love love love love love you
    I got the entire Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters record collection
    I got a new car that's got a second gear
    I got a stereo with a 1000 watts of pwer
    I don't have to work any day jobs anymore
    That's not my wife. that's not my life. Cut it out with a knife

So I said 'man like where am I? Is this the Upstairs? Y'know Heaven?
    Jesus said no
    Is this the big rock candy mountain?
    He said no and he kinda scratched his chin (he hadn't shaved in a while)
    And I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and I looked up
    and saw these lines going across the sky and he said I'm going down 'cause
    Cause I'm down at the power line
    That's why I'm losing my mind
    That's why I feel so fine yeah yeah yeah
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Melissa Joan Hart is my cousin's cousin.

Britney Spears got coffee at Starbucks across the street from where I used to work, and we saw her walk in.

At the Chicago Airport, we saw all the WWF stars strut through the concourse - it was like a parade of giants. Rob stood next to a more obscure wrestler at the urinals.

I have an autographed South Park magnet that my friend Bwana got me from Issac Hayes when she worked in his building.

Ugh. these are all TERRIBLE celebrity encounters.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    Ran into Sally Struthers at the liquor store a few months back. We had a nice chat and I got an autograph from her that read "To _____, Big love. Sally Struthers.
    Big Love ? I get it. She wouldn't be so self-deprecating as to have meant that intentionally (as in 'I'm as big as a barn') you suppose?
    Too bad they don't show those commercials anymore with her as spokesperson begging for money for starving kids in Africa. You think they coulda nabbed a celebrity spokesperson who looked a little more emaciated to get help get the point across.....I mean there isn't a person that saw that commercial that DIDN'T say 'yeah, they're starving because you ate all the food!'

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    Melissa Joan Hart is my cousin's cousin.
    Send her my pnone #

as for me, when I lived out east, I would see a few people, the guy who made signs, unbreakable, and the sixth sense. I did meet Will Smith in a dance club/ bar once when I lived out there.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

All low-wattage celebs -- and I'm certain there's no way to make it to Kevin Bacon in six steps from any of them The most fun was Leland Sklar, bassist for a number of singer-songwriters. He was cruisin the crowd prior to a concert at Saratoga Performing Arts Center and I just said Hi and he sat down next to my GF and I and we talked for about 4-5 mins. Pretty cool.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jul 2002
    My father was formerly the pastor of an old and prominent church in Chicago that was frequently used for movie scenes and performances, and I met and spoke with these people there:

Oprah Winfrey (did a scene at my church for "There Are No Children Here")
    jazz musicians Dizzy Gillespie and Wynton Marsalis (performed at the church)
    Halle Berry (did a scene at my church for "Losing Isaiah")
    singer Patti LaBelle (performed at the church)

Basketball player Scottie Pippen had an aunt that attended my church, and he came by occasionally. I also met former Cubs star Billy Williams. In the '70s, I had a three-second appearance in a TV movie with LeVar Burton called "The Ron LeFlore Story".

In 1984, the tryouts for the USA Olympic basketball team were held at Indiana University, with Bobby Knight as coach. During the tryouts I met Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Charles Barkley and Michael Jordan -- but they were all college players then.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'm terrible with faces, so a celeb could walk by me without my even noticing.

My most recent encounter with a quasi-celebrity was a short conversation with Harvey Pekar and Joyce Brabner, of American Splendor fame, regarding regionalism in Cleveland area governance. Smart, interesting folks who are obsessive in their quest to absorb knowledge. I've got a standing invitation to call him up and chat some more.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 1998
    BEK and I ran into Juvenile, aka Juve The Great, (Cash Money Millionaires rapper for you non-rap fans ) at the mall a couple of months ago. He was much shorter than I would have expected, but was certainly drippin' in the bling bling.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Funny, I live in California but I cannot recall seeing any celebrities. I guess they don't spend much time on isolated military bases in the middle of the Mojave Desert and I guess I don't get out much.

I know and have worked with (or at least met) folks who are "famous" in circles I hang in but it is likely that nobody here has heard of them. I have met Kathy Kearney, who helped me make last-minute arrangements to get to the Hollingworth Gifted Child Conference a few years ago. I think she is one of the founders of the Hollingworth Gifted Child Center. At that conference, I got to see Miraca Gross and Stephanie Tolan speak and actually rode the elevator with Ms. Tolan -- kind of my Brush with Greatness. Stephanie Tolan wrote a really famous and much referenced work called "Is it a Cheetah?" Miraca Gross lives in Australia and ...I cannot remember the name of the book she published. But when it was out of print, getting a copy was a big deal. At the time that she spoke, she was trying to get it re-released. I think she finally succeeded.

I worked with and met Valerie King (founder of tagfam.org), Carolyn K. (Hoagie's Gifted Page), Meredith Warshaw (Uniquely Gifted) and Kit Finn (present executive director of tagfam.org and she speaks at a lot of conferences like BIQ). I am on a list with Dr. Dave Albert -- you may not have heard of any of HIS books but he is also the publisher of John Taylor Gatto's book "Dumbing us down". I also met Lisa Rivero before she became a published author and, a few months ago, she re-joined a couple of lists I am on .

I know: no one here knows what in heck I am talking about. :rolleyes:

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Bob Dole -- met him when he was speaking on the OU campus YEARS ago
    George Bush (Dubya) -- I'm not a supporter but did hear him speak in Atlanta about 3 years ago.
    David Cassidy -- my childhood heartthrob! I had a lunchbox with his pictures all over it. I met him last year when he was attending a County Commmission meeting. Afterwards I got his autograph; probably made a total fool out of myself!
    Shaquille O'Neal -- walked past him last week at one of the area malls. Now that he lives in the Miami area, I guess he was just cruisin along with one of his friends. Trust me, you couldn't miss him!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    My big celeb contact was riding in an elevator with Michael Jordan in 1992. I said "Hi Mike." He looked down and said, "Hi."

I see elected officials frequently. I've met Ron Wyden and Gordon Smith (Oregon's Senate delegation), plus US Reps. Earl Bluemauer and David Wu. For a couple of years, I kept running into former US Senator Mark Hatfield at restaurants, resorts, museums, etc. Haven't seen him lately, though. He must think I'm stalking him!
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Jul 2002

AmS

Quote Originally posted by Dan
    I'm terrible with faces, so a celeb could walk by me without my even noticing.

My most recent encounter with a quasi-celebrity was a short conversation with Harvey Pekar and Joyce Brabner, of American Splendor fame,

I was at a party last year when a woman stated that she had a small part in American Splendor. I guess she was a housewife in the beginning of the film.
    The most reknown person I've met was Eudora Welty. Neat lady.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    May 2002
    When I waited tables in Ocean City, Maryland I waited on Captain Lou Albano of wrestling fame pretty regularly. He and his wife were always incredibly nice. And yes, he had the rubber band in his goatee.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Jarrod of Subway Fame
    Bob Dole - Get off of my lawn!
    Mr. & Mrs Geo. Bush 1
    Geo. Bush 2
    R.W. Reagan
    Maggie Thacher
    Colin Powell
    Helmut Kohl
    Grace Slick
    Irvin R. Levine
    Ba Ba Wa Wa

More to follow

Registered
    May 1997
    I'm like Dan, I'm not sure I'd recognize most real celebrities if they walked in and applied for a building permit. I did have an ice cream cone in the same Hagen Das as Arnold once, and tea in the same coffee house as Demi (these people always look more impressive on the silver screen). Perhaps my best "celebrity" encounter was with Ed Abby.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Lee Nellis
    Perhaps my best "celebrity" encounter was with Ed Abby.
    Alright, Lee. You just can't leave that one hanging. Do tell!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 27
    Last post: 23 Dec 2011, 7:39 PM
  2. Replies: 60
    Last post: 31 Oct 2008, 4:36 PM
  3. Replies: 58
    Last post: 31 Mar 2006, 11:10 PM
  4. Replies: 19
    Last post: 05 Oct 2005, 2:14 PM
  5. Drop trou in San Fran...