Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Was the religious right correct about Harry Potter corrupting our youth afterall?

Registered
    Dec 2003

Was the religious right correct about Harry Potter corrupting our youth afterall?

Harry Potter Toy (since removed from Amazon)

You have to read the reviews to see why this toy was so popular with those a bit older than the intended age. This might even beat the "Hello Kitty" personal massager.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Excellent!, June 11, 2002
    Reviewer: poola13 from Ohio
    When my 12 year old daughter asked for this for her birthday, I kind of wondered if she was too old for it, but she seems to LOVE it. Her friends love it too! They play for hours in her bedroom with this great toy. They really seem to like the special effects it offers (the sound effects and vibrating). My oldest daughter (17) really likes it too! I reccomend this for all children.
    Something's telling me that the 17 yr old daughter doesn't like the toy because it's Harry Potter related

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    THATS FREAKING HILLARIOUS!!!

Bet the 17 year old is a blast at high school parties!

College will be a blast at the keg parties!

Did they post the use instructions?
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Jan 2005
    haha this has been floating around the net for quite some time but it hasn't lost its hilarity

Registered
    May 2003
    They deleted the funniest review (a 33 year old man who just loved the toy.)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    They deleted the funniest review (a 33 year old man who just loved the toy.)
    Bear covering his ears with his hands and shouting, "La la la la la la la la la la la."

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

I love Harry Potter, so it is great that they have finally found a way to make a toy that both children and adults can enjoy!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I like this guy's festive response the best

Keep the batteries out!, December 26, 2001
    Reviewer: A toy enthusiast from NJ
    This toy was #1 on my daughter's Christmas list. So what the heck, although it has no educational value I figured it would be good for imaginative play. It wasn't until after she opened her gift and started playing with it that I realized that the toy may offer a more than sensational experience. The broomstick has cute sound effects and ***VIBRATES*** when they put it between their legs to fly. Come on---what were the creators of this toy thinking? She'll keep playing with the Nimbus 2000, but with the batteries removed.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Nov 2002
    [concerned parent] I knew there was something up after little Suzy starting asking for a cigarette every time she finished playing Harry Potter. [/concerned parent]

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Hahah, am I strange to think that its not wrong for someone to want the toy for THAT reason? I wonder how old that daughter was (the one who now apparently plays only without batteries, says her Father).

*shrug*

Registered
    Mar 2002
    hehe I saw some for sale here at a store and told some friends, the next day all 20 were gone-to house wives...

that dont have kids
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Geez what are folks thinking using the wrong tool for the job, that's like pounding a nail with a pair of pliers.

Follow the link in my siggy and the wife will set you up properly.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 23 Jul 2007, 10:31 AM
  2. The Harry Potter movie/book thread.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 17 Jul 2007, 10:38 PM
  3. Harry Potter Actors
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10