Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Mortuary/crematory research

Registered
    Sep 2004

Mortuary/crematory research

Has anyone done research regarding mortuaries or crematories? I'm specifically looking for info on any adverse effects of a crematory or mortuary locating near other businesses or residences (chemicals, smell, noise, other various negative things).

Registered
    Jul 2009
    I know this is an old thread, but I tried to do my due diligence in looking up old threads before creating another.

We have a proposed crematorium in an industrial zone. It is a conditional use in that district. Industrial seems a good place, except the neighbors on the residential zone (approximately 1/4 mile away) are upset.

The Board held the first hearing. The applicants brought data from a national cremation society. The Board opted to invoke technical review (authority for such given in the regs) of the data submitted by the applicant.

We have a good and efficient process for outside, third party technical review. The problem is- who should the third party be? There is no listing in the yellow pages under Cremation Statistics expert. Should I call a local environmental science firm? Another crematory (this seems it could be biased)? Is there a national organization better suited for this?

Sidebar- tough subject. One man stood up and proclaimed that he was Jewish and offended that we'd even consider allowing such an atrocity anywhere in the city.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Is there a state level environmental agency you could consult? If they can't help, they may be able to point you to someone who can. If nothing else, you could try the EPA.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ThePinkPlanner View post
    I know this is an old thread, but I tried to do my due diligence in looking up old threads before creating another.

We have a proposed crematorium in an industrial zone. It is a conditional use in that district. Industrial seems a good place, except the neighbors on the residential zone (approximately 1/4 mile away) are upset.

The Board held the first hearing. The applicants brought data from a national cremation society. The Board opted to invoke technical review (authority for such given in the regs) of the data submitted by the applicant.

We have a good and efficient process for outside, third party technical review. The problem is- who should the third party be? There is no listing in the yellow pages under Cremation Statistics expert. Should I call a local environmental science firm? Another crematory (this seems it could be biased)? Is there a national organization better suited for this?

Sidebar- tough subject. One man stood up and proclaimed that he was Jewish and offended that we'd even consider allowing such an atrocity anywhere in the city.
    I would approach it as any research problem. Interview other communities where there is a crematory, make a visit to one or two, and review industry sources.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2009
    We actually have two other crematoriums in the town already (we are one of the grayest state in the nation after all) and we've never had any problems with them. Most people don't even know they are there. They propose only a four foot exhaust pipe which is lower than the roof line of the building.

But the Board wants an expert third party review of the data (a mix of EPA and various funeral/cremation society). I've read the EPA reports and find nothing concerning (interesting fact- home chimneys and fast food hamburger joints put out more particulate matter than crematoriums) and told them that. Under pressure from the neighborhood closes by, they still want this third party review. I have a call into two environmental firms now. I hope that proves fruitful. If I learn anything, I'll share it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Doing some research on NY
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 23 Dec 2011, 6:25 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 22 Sep 2010, 7:17 PM
  3. Mortuary trip generation?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 08 Dec 2009, 6:33 PM