Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: My Favorite Concert

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

My Favorite Concert

I was browsing thru older Cyburbia threads and noticed "my first concerts" as a thread. Did not see any threads concerning "best or favorite concert". Thus.....

MY FAVORITE CONCERT
    This Bear has been to quite a few concerts, even though he lives a somewhat sheltered life. Favorite has to be:

YES

At Pine Knob, north of Detroit, in 1996. My wife (Katie) and my son (Mathew) joined me. Yes has always been a favorite. This would be my first Yes concert.

We arrived early and checked on our seats. Front row.....but.....all the way to the right side, next to speakers the size of Cuyahoga Falls. Katie stormed to an usher and demanded better seats. They put us in the 3rd row, smack dab in the center.

Sitting next to us was the girlfriend of one (1) of the band members (Jon Anderson). We conversed with her about life with a band, on the road. No, I didn't call her a "groupie".

The concert was awesome.

Bear A Yes Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Cow Palace in San Francisco, New Year's Eve 1991... Pearl Jam opening for Nirvana opening for Red Hot Chili Peppers. Pearl Jam played "Smells Like Teen Spirit" before Nirvana came on and I remember Eddie Vedder (at the time a relative unknown) saying "Remember, you heard it here first!" It was pretty hilarious, especially since that was my first New Year's Eve after turning 21 and I was reeeeally drunk.

I think part of it was also that it was just an all around great night... probably the best New Year's Eve I've ever had. I remember that same night the Dead were having a show in Oakland so there was a really interesting mix of people in the bars late that night in the East Bay. I rode BART around and ended up crashing with my friend in Berkeley.

Makes me miss the Bay Area...

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Believe it or not, the best concert I've ever attended was not MC Hammer. It was in fact WaveFest '96, a radio station festival held by 96.1 WAVE in Charleston, SC. On the bill was Wilco, Junior Brown, Cracker, Blue Mountain, the Jayhawks, Ben Folds Five, Son Volt, and David Byrne. Awesome, awesome, awesome! I was really hoping for an Uncle Tupelo reunion, but that, unfortunately, didn't happen. Regardless, much beer was consumed, it was a great show, and Ben Folds is a complete bada$$ on the piano.

I remember that same night the Dead were having a show in Oakland so there was a really interesting mix of people in the bars late that night in the East Bay
    Besides the encore the show was cool enough. I don't know my favorite show.

12-31-91 Oakland Coliseum Arena, Oakland, Ca. (Tue)
    1: Bucket, Candyman, BIODTL, Roses, B. T. Wind, West L. A., Masterpiece, Help> Slipknot> Franklin's
    2: NFA*> Eyes> Estimated> Drumz> Other One> Wharf Rat> Sugar Magnolia E: Heaven's Door
    *with Airto Moreira on drums and vocalswithout Bruce Hornsby - Baba Olatunji, then Bela Fleck & The Flecktones opened

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    1. Indigo Girls, Bowery Ballroom (very small group of people)
    2. Dave Matthews Band....loved him...hated some of the younger audience
    3. Sarah McLachlan, Rochester
    4. Melissa Etheridge, Roseland Ballroom (small place)
    5. B-52's, Ithaca College Gym
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The best concert I went to was at the Agora Ballroom in Hallandale to see Johnny WInter sometime in the 80's. Can't beat those smaller venues, thought the worst concert also was at a nightclub to see Rusted Root, they played two songs the second of which was a drum solo then they left because someone had a tummy ache.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Mile High Freeze Out - Bruce Springsteen in '85

Registered
    Feb 2003
    March 04, Springfest...Live Oak Fla.

too much fun

Registered
    Aug 2001
    U2 - Pepsi Arena, Albany
    BNL - """
    James Taylor - SPAC (how can you not love a JT show?)
    REM - SPAC
    Phish - Various
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Saw Santana at some outdoor venue near Boston (Fox something?) back around '90. The Dead had just left town the day before and had left an interesting wake of 'heads which stayed to watch Santana. As the crowds were filing out after the show I remember standing behind this 7 foot tall guy who was playing a zither.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Tough question....

probably the most fun I ever had at a concert would have been White Zombie/Prong/The Obsessed in Indianapolis in 1993....

Best overall show would probably be Ozzfest 1996 in Cincinnati.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    My favorite show was Rush, on their Denver stop on the Vapor Trails tour. We were nine rows away front and center and it was the first timw I saw the guys who have defined my musical life for so long.
    I wanted to see them this past summer at the wonderful Red Rocks in Denver, but it was sold out, so I went to Vegas instead for another great show.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Probably my favorite was Farm Aid X in Louisville, with DMB as they were first getting national attention. Willy was, as ever, Willy (and he looked like he was a little, mmmmm, confused). Neil Young closed the show with Heart of Gold (my personal fave) and I really enjoyed him, but, he followed John -- Don't Call Me Johnny Cougar -- Mellencamp. This is just about his home turf and he absolutely lit the place up. Definitely the most memorable performance I've witnessed.
    Batter up!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Alice Cooper (Pompano Beach, FL)
    B52's
    Crosby Stills Nash (acoustical tour) (OKC,OK)
    America (OKC,OK)
    Lyle Lovett -- (with his large band) (Norman, OK) Very intimate venue, great show!

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Butt level, up close, Garth Brooks, Manhatten, KS 1996
    We picked up a couple of front row floor tickets and my daughter was down there and touched his boot. My brother got pictures with his parents.

It was pleasant to share the experience with my foriegn exchange daughter and her father from Brazil.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Grateful Dead in Rich Stadium, Buffalo ('92). My first dead show - wow! :-}

Close second - Lollapalooza ('92) - Lush, Peppers, Ice Cube, Soundgarden, Ministry, Pearl Jam. It got a little out of control at Pine Knob that day.

Third - Blues Traveler in NYC, New Years Eve Party ('93/'94).

Honorable mention - Dixie Chicks in Roseburg, OR ('00). Just before they exploded on the pop music scene. Super fun show in a city park before a few hundred people.

Man, I gotta hear some live music....soon.....

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Jethro Tull, late seventies in New Orelans. Kick-ass show. They had the absolute worst opening act, sort of a rock and roll bagpipe band with the guys in kilts. Maybe it was intentional, to make Jethro Tull seem even better in comparison.

Before Tull started, a band member came out and said if people in the front stood up the peole in the back couldn't see the show. So if people stood up in the front, the band would stop playing. I thought that was pretty nice. Later in the show, people in the front did stand up and the band stopped playing until they all sat down.

Tull started with the keyboardist on a darkened stage with just a spotlight on him. He wore a white tux and began playing the intro to "Locomotive Breath" then he jumped up, flipped up the tail of his tux and mooned the audience. Then lighyts came up and Ian Anderson leaped backwards from the floor onto the stage and let loose with his flute. The whole concert was just excellent.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by plankton
    Man, I gotta hear some live music....soon.....
    I hear ya! Tonight is the Government Mule concert (if it's not rained out!) -- I've never seen them, and frankly am not v. familiar with their music, but the people I'm going with are a blast and I'm ready to ROCK OUT!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mule.jpg  

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What was your first concert?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 105
    Last post: 17 Nov 2013, 7:38 PM
  2. Bob Dylan concert
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 03 Sep 2006, 2:27 PM
  3. Concert Tickets