Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Gmail invitation thread

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Gmail invitation thread

I have six invitations for Gmail accounts.

First six e-mails sent to dtasman (ay - tee) gmail (dee - oh - tee) com gets them. Include your first and last name.

If you're looking for an alternative to Yahoo!, here it is! Cyburbians using Yahoo! as their primary personal e-mail account will be given priority.

(Please note I don't use Gmail as my primary personal e-mail address; I'm just testing the waters. Looks promising, though.)
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Me too...PM me if interested...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    One gone, five to go.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    So I say to King B, what do you think about G Mail?

I got a very LOUD negative on that idea. This is why.
    King is the Network Facilitator for a local school system. He says that it is Googles way of accessing your information and that they make their money from selling your information.
    Example: Last year one of his students decided to get a G mail account and then reported back that he sent a note to one of his friends saying something about a guitar. He got over 50 messages from people wanting to sell him Guitars and or information. And so did the person he sent the message to.

He then sent out a message about a carbarator needle and got messages back on both carbarators and sewing needles.

It seems that the body of the messages comes up on google searches. Kind of an elaborate invasion.

I am willing to listen to any information that might be available on this topic but to keep the computer guy happy, I am going to stay with yahoo for now.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4707

Read the part concerning e-mail searching.

The ability to search through my email with the effectiveness that has made Google the benchmark for search. How many times have people asked, "When can I have Google to search my hard disk?" That's a hard problem, as long as it's just your disk, on your isolated machine. But it's solvable once Google has lots and lots of structured data to work with, and can build algorithms to determine patterns in that data. Gmail is Google's brilliant solution to that problem: don't search the desktop, move the desktop application to a larger, searchable space where the metadata can be collected and made explicit, as it is on the web.
    YOU can search through your Gmail e-mail with a regular Google search. Your Google search cookies from being linked to your Gmail account, so you're searching both Google AND Gmail at the same time. However, your e-mail isn't moved to the Google database itself, and others can't search your e-mail.

Gmail does have targeted advertising, but you're not added to spamming lists, per se. It's ghow they pay for the service, much like other free e-mail providers.

Other relevant articles, pro and con:

http://archive.salon.com/tech/featur.../index_np.html
    http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,63642,00.html
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04..._evil_privacy/
    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5190629.html?tag=nl

Walla! seems like a promising free e-mail service, but they don't have the hype -- or the cool features -- of Gmail.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Bump. I'm getting bounced e-mail from several Cyburbia users with invalid e-mail addresses, so they might still be interested.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    One last call for anyone who wants a Gmail invite.

Send your request to dtasman (ay - tee) gmail (dee - oh - tee) com .

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    I now have 4 left (sent one to a friend, and one to my sister)

(oh and thanks Dan... it is way better than Yahoo!)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I(oh and thanks Dan... it is way better than Yahoo!)
    De nada! That's what they're there for.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    5 invitations left here...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Wow... ah ok. I now have 50 invites for gmail accounts.

If anyone wants one, let me know.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I have 50 invitations available as well. Anyone asking shall receive.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    How is Gmail better than Yahoo, and why does one need to be invited? Just curious.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'd like an invite!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Last time I checked I had like 50 invitations.. (I don't know if that's right but that's what it said, and I wasn't hallucinating)
    So, just in case anybody wants one, send me a PM with your info (e-mail) so I can invite you. (No, I won't add you to any gay pron site mailing list or male enhancer sites or sell it to anybody... trust me! )

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Last time I checked I had like 50 invitations...[snip]...
    Same here, I still have 50 invites. Send me a PM with your email and I'll provide the invite.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Gmail invites. Click on the first link; if it doesn't work, try the second, and so on until you find one that works. Don't click on a link unless you want an invite.
    Moderator note:

Edit (nerudite): All links have expired, so I removed them to save people the time of clicking.
    Last edited by nerudite; 29 Dec 2005 at 7:08 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    What's your experience with gmail? I often get the screen that says "Loading" but never loads. Oh, well. I check back later and it's usually on. It's hit and miss.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm going to bump this thread as I was wondering if anyone still had any gmail invites left. PM me if you do.

Registered
    Sep 2005

Anyone still looking for an invite?

I just checked and I have 100 invites, so please PM me if you want one.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Small Update... I still have 47 invites left so I repeat to whoever is interested, send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send you an invititation. Remember you can only register a Gmail account if you have an invitation.

Ask away!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. BBQ Invitation Cut Off List
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 31 Jul 2006, 8:57 AM
  2. Gmail invitation thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 13 Feb 2005, 12:41 AM
  3. Invitation to you all. . . .