Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Closed thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting User Names

Registered
    Dec 1998

Interesting User Names

Although my number of postings may not indicate it, I've been a member of Cyburbia for quite a while - long before last year's complete overhaul and when the site was still linked to the University of Buffalo's website. When I first registered, I chose the name "Planderella" because what girl hasn't ever thought of herself as a princess mistreated by evil stepsisters (at that time it was professors and employers, now just the latter ) and also to protect my identity as I used to rant and rave quite a bit in the early days (hee hee).

So, my point in bringing this up is that I'm curious about everyone else's screen names - their origins, meanings (if any), etc.:?

Registered
    Oct 2001

EG

El Guapo was a character in the movie The Three Amigos. He was a stereotypical Mexican-bandit played with a wry sense of humor. He is the kind of guy Id like to be, on occasion, if we modern men could get away with things like skipping foreplay, shooting our pistolas in the air and raiding villages. But, alas Im a planner and instead of drinking tequila and shooting up the town I have to work on upgrading its infrastructure and writing its comp plan. Damn the luck.

I think most people here and at work know who I really am and are not supprised I write outrageous things on the net. They are minor compared to what I say daily.
    el Guapo is a former 20 year +/- urban planner (just like you) who thought becoming an attorney was a good life choice.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    And there are those of us who use our everyday handles. Why? Lack of imagination? Dan? Lee? any comments?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Pete's always been a nickname for me; pete-rock is the name of one-half of a hip-hop group from the late '80s/early '90s, Pete-Rock and CL Smooth.

Sorry, no planning reference. Just a desperate attempt to be hip.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    The first four letters of my last name plus the year I was born....not very creative.

I chose the username 'journeymouse' during my last year at Keele Uni. I'd been through several before. Someone else suggested it because it implies that I know some stuff (i.e. better than an apprentice) but not enough to be an expert (i.e. not ready to be the master), and because the mouse bit sums up my character. Not the most flattering thing I ever heard, but (relatively) true. I do have a tendency to 'roar' occasionally and my nerves tend to show as talkativeness rather than sitting in a wheat field shivering!
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Hum mine-Im a planner and a girl

the name came about becouse a friend of mine is a fiction writer, at the time for WOTC, anyway he had this idea about a story about a gov employee bent on saving the world. And I have a thing for lions-and i name them all Alphie.

So to him I became "Intrepid Planner Girl and her side kick Alphie"

It was a running joke for a number of years

viola the name stuck!

D
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Not very imaginative, but the rustbelt is where I was born, educated and still live. I guess I identify with urban industrial cities that have seen better (though sootier) days. When I discovered this forum it seemed to me my place on the planet gave a different viewpoint than planners in smaller towns or in other parts of the county. I no longer think that's so but the handle is still OK.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    When I was young and foolish (16) a bunch of friends and I were getting stoned, and we started wondering why the Dinosaurs always had an "saurus" behind their name, but humans don't (remember, we were silly stoned teenagers). So we started calling eachother by our first name - followed by saurus.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Despite what you might think, mine is not from The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show, at least not directly. I once had a german shorthaired pointer named Bullwinkle. I used Bullwinkle or some variation of Bullwinkle as my username or password for a lot of things. He is now long gone, but I still use that name here.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Like Planderella, I like to rant on the boards, but unlike Planderella, I don't have the fear of non-anonimity (is that a word) so it's a name reduction.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Dog Breed...

I used to raise them. Great and loyal animals, they.

So I've used "mastiff" as an internet nick for years and years, but don't go looking TOO hard for it anywhere else... <EG>
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Tran = Transporation.

Planner = what I am.

Yes, Canadians are a very creative lot.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Much like Tranplanner...

NH = where I live

Planner = what I do

I've used it as a handle on the net for several years now.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Well, I just use "Dan" here because it's something of a tradition for webmasters to use their real names on their sites. What ... like I'm going to go by "LoRd oF DArKnEsS" or "Paladin Lexthar of Urgalon?" I can express my individuality through avatars and goofy posts.

On other urbanism-related boards, I go by "Cyburbia." It also sounds "urbany," if that's a word, and it identifies me with this site.

On non-planning realted sites, I use "Elmwood," for Elmwood Avenue in Buffalo, New York. The four mile long Elmwood Strip, containing a bohemian mix of bars, restaurants, shops, bookstores, apartments, mansions and coffeehouses, is a street that cities considered much more vibrant would envy.

A few times in other places, I've gone by "Keybounce." The word is a nearly forgotten term used to describe how ancient computer keyboards would act as if a key were pressed two or three times, even though it was pressed only once. Anyone who has used an old TRS-80 keyboard has experienced keybounce.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2002
    JNL = my initials - lack of imagination at the time, and has anonymity. Plus "Jen" is already being used. Used to use Gargamel (from the smurfs) - was interesting how people assumed I was male and were surprised that I was actually young and female, not a grumpy old smurf-eating male!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Other monikers I have used elsewhere in the ether:
    edlin from them olden DOS days.
    golden47 after my old army unit then I started receiving all kinds of adult fetish-related email.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The name comes from my dual undergrad majors:

Geog=Geography/GIS
    Planner=Under Water Basket Weaving
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Jan 2002
    'Virtue City' is the name of a long term project that I've been working on. After contemplating names for it, I chose 'Virtue City'. This came about mainly because of my interest in ethics. The sound of it is also very nice...it seems prosperous.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    My preferred internet moniker is "UrbanGurl." I also use "UrbanRENEWALGurl" on occasion. I like the name because it sounds like some kind of superhero. Don't know why I didn't initially use it here. Oh well......

I'm not concerned about protecting my identity any more since most people know I use these boards, and besides, I'm a lot more blunt in person.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Mine is totally not planning oriented, but it's the same one I use for just about everything else on the net. Nerudite stems from Neruda... since I love his poetry so much, I just kind of adopted it. It actually started when I signed up for a yahoo account several years ago, and all the "regular" names were taken and I hate having little numbers beside my name. Kind of dorky, I know... but it stuck! Otherwise, I usually go by skalar, because I love ska music...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Disco Stu was already taken so I decided to use the name of a guy I really admire...

     
    Registered
    Jul 2002
    Nerudite, you love ska? That's rad, so do I. Victoria (where I live) is host to the worlds largest ska festival, which in fact is tonight, but alas I must work. The Pietasters are headlining.

As for my screen name, well I have a good friend on another forum who goes by the moniker CityGod5. Once he came to this forum he changed his name to Jack in the Box. I was tired of using my boring old screename from World Skyscraper Forums, so I decided to take CityGod's name and make it my own, with a femine touch of course. Thus was born to the world "City Goddess". This name suits me well because I am an urbanite, I love the city to the core. And above that I am a goddess.

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Prudence....obviously from Dear Prudence by the The Beatles. The lyrics describe a a person who is oblivious, morover ignoring, the world around them. I play the guitar and have been fascinated by music especially the Beatles for years.

Dear Prudence, won't you come out to play
    Dear Prudence, greet the brand new day
    The sun is up, the sky is blue
    It's beautiful and so are you
    Dear Prudence won't you come out and play

Dear Prudence open up your eyes
    Dear Prudence see the sunny skies
    The wind is low the birds will sing
    that you are part of everything
    Dear Prudence won't you open up your eyes?

Look around round
    Look around round round
    Look around

Dear Prudence let me see you smile
    Dear Prudence like a little child
    The clouds will be a daisy chain
    So let me see you smile again
    Dear Prudence won't you let me see you smile?
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Aug 2001
    CityGoddess... I love Victoria (beautiful city!) I'm hoping to make it out there sometime soon. I used to live on Whidbey Island in WA, and I would go out to Victoria every month or two. I could pick up the ska program on one of your local programs when I lived there... I think it was on during Saturday afternoons. It's been awhile though, so I don't quite remember. But it was a good radio show (most likely college/public radio).

Too bad you missed the skafest... If I had the money I would have gone out to see the Pietasters alone. They are my favorite ska band (along with Isaac Green, Hepcat, and a few others).

Nice to meet a fellow ska lover!... it seems there are fewer and fewer of us around.

Closed thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Jan 2013, 3:21 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 28 Feb 2005, 9:24 AM