Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting User Names

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Opening an old thread, because I never had a chance to respond.....

Bear Up North:

BEAR
    In 1977 or 1978 (brain cells not remembering exactly) I was up north with a pack of friends. It was mid-February, we were in a little tourist town on Lake Superior (Upper Peninsula of Michigan), it was well below zero, there was tons of snow, and we were....shocker.....drinking.

About midnight we slowed on the beverages and everybody bought a shrimp basket......you know, the deep-fried little guys you buy in a bar after you have had eight (8) kazillion drinks. My friend Marcia was kidding me about eating the dep-fried tails, too. Being the showoff that the inebriated side of me is I grabbed a handful of the tails from my depleted basket and we walked out of that bar.

We were walking down the middle of the road, heading to the next bar. As we were doing this I was throwing the tails high in the air and catching them in my mouth. I had a snowmobile suit on that made me look like the Michelin Man. Marcia yelled out, "Hey look.....it's a dancing bear!"

The name stuck. I have been Bear to hundreds of people (in a non-work world). Many of the guys that I played basketball with for over twenty (20) years never did know my real name....just know me as "Bear". (Although some figured it out because my ex-wife married a guy I played basketball with all thsoe years.)

UP
    This has hidden meaning.....twofold. It is often used to describe the Upper Peninsula of Michgan (where I plant to retire). The U.P. (Locals will call say, "Da YooPe, eh?") It is also the direction I plan on going when I retire, mapwise.

NORTH
    There's that direction thing again.

That's my story. I use Bear Up North on the Cyburbia site. I have some variations that I use in my e-mail and in conversations with some friends.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    OMG!!!!!!!!

Like, I can't believe I never posted here.

Boiker is -er attached to my last name. My last name is a favorite among my friends to describe intercourse, certain sounds, and just to shout in exclamation.

I've been Boiker since I can remember.

As for Biscuits name, a college buddy was given the name "food bag" because we couldn't think of a good name for him. My other college buddies are known as spanklin, , Nasty, JoJo...the list does go on.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    A few years ago when I registered on this site I was reading Micheal Chabon's "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay." Great book by the way. One of the comic book characters in it was called "The Escapist." So, I kind of ripped that off and added "green" since I'm an outdoorsy, environmental-type guy.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    My name, although I wouldn't choose it now, is a combination of what my high school teammates on the hockey team would call me (Z Man) and what I do (plan) Pretty lame I guess...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

(for now) Frozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I've been here a while, but never explained my username.

It's my last name with "man" added to the end.

I like the illiteration, and also don't like the shift key.

I stole the concept from my wife's cousin, though. His youngest son is named Micheal and always refers to him as Michealman.
    Last edited by mendelman; 24 Feb 2005 at 4:14 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I just use "Dan" because I really don't want to see Cyburbia plastered with my full name. I use a more anonymous handle on other sites.

A Google vanity search for my name reveals hundreds of pages -- mostly old meeting minutes or articles about Cyburbia -- and personally I'd rather keep a lower profile.

There's been a few times when I've changed a person's username without their permission. Usually it's because someone uses their e-mail address as their name here, and I don't want to see them get spammed. Once, a member chose a username that was the same as what they used at work - first initial followed by last name. However, that combination unintentionally resulted in a term that is often a part of usernames on supremacist sites. I didn't want to see that here, so I changed the name. (Imagine "Rebecca Ahowa" or ""Nadine Azi", and you'll get the idea.)
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Yes a Budgie is a parakeet, but my username is for the welsh rock band that began in the late 1960's. Every once in awhile they still play gigs mostly around Cardiff, but they seem to make an annual trip across the pond. Metallica covered their songs, "Crash Course in Brain Surgery" and "Breadfan", which I happen to be listening to the original version as I type this. It's from the Never Turn Your Back on a Friend album from 1973.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    So, my point in bringing this up is that I'm curious about everyone else's screen names - their origins, meanings (if any), etc.:?
    Well, Plannerbyday

I chose that name because I don't let my job define me and control my life. Yes I enjoy my job and choosen profession but when I leave the office, I leave the office.

I don't drive up and down the street looking no the weekends looking for zoning violations.

SO I am a planner by day

Any Navy veterans out there will know that a "gedunk stand" is the place aboard ship where you can get sodas, ice cream and so forth. Sort of the neighborhood convenience store inside a ship full of 1800 sailors. It was a way to honor my dad, a WWII combat navy vet. Yeah, I'm really geeky.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Rumpy which is my first name and Tunanator which is my last name (hmmm, the crowd ain't taking to kindly to this humor).

Actual Rumpy comes from the Mongolian language meaning, "Warrior who kills kittens in one stoke" and Tunanator comes from the Greeks meaning, "One who Tunanates Tunas and will be back" (alright, I'm warming them up).

No really it comes from the cartoon character I use to draw in comics and animated in short movies, when I had dreams of becoming a computer animator and making it big with my own cartoon series, and having myself play Rumpy's voice, and having pyschotic women in their late 20's on an array of designer drugs throw themselves at my feet (we got them hooked, now for the letdown).

Rumpy (the crack smoking, rock slinging tuna) use to be in a gang with Charlie the Tuna (until I realized he was a tuna company's spokesman) and Geek the Chicken who was always chainsmoking and alway got his head lobbed off at the end of every comic. There were a few other characters, and over all Rumpy got into some crazy adventures each episode, like the time Stumpy (Rumpy's illegitimate son) decided to drop by and tell him that he was his son, the road trip to Columbia to get more rock, and other zany adventures. I think I explained this a while back when I first introduced myself.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Nov 2002
    This will take some explaining.

For a college paper I came across a picture of the Seabishop which is a mythical creature seen by hallucinating European sailors. A friend and I thought they had a good 80's hair-metal band look, and joked about starting a similar styled band, "the Seabishops." (I swear no drugs were involved with this conversation.)

Maybe I should have stuck with "PlanningGuy2000"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    For me, it is a rather mundane combination of my initials ('MGK') and the local telephone area code ('920'), which had just been assigned and was soon to start its 'permissive' dialing phase in its split from 414, when I first signed up for dial-up internet service one week before Super Bowl XXXI (the one in which the Packers humiliated the Patriots ). (Hey, I had to quickly think of a username for the account and it was the first thing that came to my mind.)

In some other online forvms and on NTN trivia (http://www.ntn.com - played in many bars and restaurants throughout the USA and Canada), I go by the user name of 'WISGUY' (a GUY from WISconsin).

Mike
    Last edited by mgk920; 24 Feb 2005 at 4:11 PM.

would you believe an old cb radio handle from my darker days as a long-haul trucker? It has since taken on a life of it's own as some friends call me that more than my name. Plus I have a group of redtail hawks that live on the farm and we have become friends of a sort.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Well when I go back and look at my earlier response, I must have felt quite cocky that day!

Queen B
    "Queen" derived from the meaning of my given first name.
    and "B" the first letter of my last name.

Now you guys will have to guess what my given name is.

I don't ever remember liking any nick names before but I am growing fond of this one.

Queen B
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B
    How about Gertrude? It's funny how Gertrude is not a terribly sexy name, but for me Trudy is a sexy name.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Mine is easy. TN, SC, and I called ourselves the Zoning Goddesses when we worked together. I was the first of the three of us to join Cyburbia, so I got to use the name.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Oooh! Oooh! I know!

(But I promise not to tell anyone it is Maude.)
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Oo Oo I know too, but you were my secret santa.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I think you are all silly and I don't really think you know cause it is not the name I go by.
    Just another hint!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think you are all silly and I don't really think you know cause it is not the name I go by.
    Just another hint!
    I'm not saying a word. Unless there's some serious $$$ involved.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Is it the "from the Gaelic ...." ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Well when I go back and look at my earlier response, I must have felt quite cocky that day!

Queen B

I don't ever remember liking any nick names before but I am growing fond of this one.

Queen B
    Regina

Did you know that you can't reply unless you use at least 10 characters????

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Salmissra is a character in my favorite fantasy series. She is:

Immortal Salmissra
    Queen of the Snake People
    Chosen Handmaiden to the God Issa

Yes, she does evetually get turned into a snake, but her attitude and style are what I like. She's very sexy, tyrannical, lovely, unpredictable and has a hellish temper.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Mine was given to me because I used to work on the jurisdiction's trail program and I would always go to Development Review meetings and "extort" trail commitments from developers - as the other planners joked. They thought the trail system was not really important and I would be rather "nazi" like in getting them to think it was important. Fun games we would play. Since I could not have ZG's name since she had it first, I fell back to my default name came.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Mine is.....

My screen name is derived from the fact that one of my faults is to put others first....so I think I'm due for a little snobbery........at least in this forum......oh and I tend to know a lot about everything......"I'm the one you want to talk to...."
    Skilled Adoxographer
    I have two emotions....Silence and Rage

Closed thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Jan 2013, 4:21 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 28 Feb 2005, 10:24 AM