Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: APA election: secret ballot?

Registered
    Dec 1998

APA election: secret ballot?

I just received a ballot for the state APA election. It came with a self-addressed, postage-paid envelope, but there's one catch. The instructions state that I am supposed to sign and then print my name on the back of the envelope. It further states that in order to ensure anonymity, the ballots will be removed from the envelopes before tabulation occurs. Yeah right!

My problem with this is obvious, if I sign the envelope, then this is not a secret ballot, regardless of what the instructions state. While the purpose of signing the envelope is to "ensure voting integrity and security," I feel like it does not protect me as a paid member of the organization. I received the ballot, therefore that is proof that my membership is current. From that point on, they have no way of knowing whether I voted or if I had a non-member vote for me. Either way, signing that envelope is not going to change that.

What does the Throbbing Brain have to say about this so-called democratic process?
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    What does the Throbbing Brain have to say about this so-called democratic process?
    Let's just say that I wouldn't want to have to interpret the zoning code written by the mental gianta that designed that ballot process.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    I haven't had to sign an envelope before as part of APA official elections. I think they could probably ensure secure anonymity by using a paper ballot that includes a security feature, such as a hologram. I have a problem with ballots that aren't truly secret, such as your example.

I'm wondering who is going to try to cheat to become an APA officer? Wait a minute, I forgot ... it's Louisiana.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001
    The APA looks at elections much in the same way the Politburo did in the 1970's.

[bad Russian accent]Here is approved list of candidates. You will make choice now please.[/bad Russian accent]

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I did not sign, and I did not put my name on it. (for the MI)
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I just did the layout on our chapter's ballots and nothing like that was included. But we only have one person per line running with the write in option. Does your state have a competitive race?
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    May 2003
    My father showed me the mailed ballots they use for Union elections a few years ago when he was involved in a disputed election. They're pretty high-tech, with all sorts of flaps and whatnot to ensure that the ballot couldn't be read through the envelope. There wasn't any identifying information on it except for (I think) a unique serial number on each ballot to prevent stuffing.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Ballot box
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 Oct 2009, 10:49 AM
  2. Name on a Ballot
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 03 Jul 2008, 11:53 PM
  3. New Florida Ballot Preview
    Friday Afternoon Club