Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Trading Bike Racks for Parking Stalls

Registered
    Jul 2004

Trading Bike Racks for Parking Stalls

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with having property owners/developers use bike racks/lockers as a portion of their parking requirement? The City and Borough of Juneau is currently going through a code-re-write process, and I'm interested in getting a section into our parking requirements that allows development in certain overlay zones to use bike parking for a portion of thier parking requirement. I'm thinking of something along the lines of allowing up to 20% of the parking requirement to be met by installing bike racks and/or lockers at a rate of 2 bike stalls per parking place, with an additional 10% of the parking requirement able to be met by bike storage if the business has shower facilities for employees.

My numbers may be way off--it may be that other municipalities have found that 10% is the maximum that works this way, or that certain other amenities are also required, such as sheltered bike parking (rather than exposed bike racks) or coordinated bike lanes.

Anyone have any input on this?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I think that is a great idea! I think that it should be used much more down here. I do worry about the additional 10% if they have showers. (what is the incentive for the showers then?)
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Check with the City of Ann Arbor in Michigan. Their off-street parking requirements include provisions for bicylce parking.

Some excerpts from Chapter 59, Off-Street Parking, in their zoning ordinance:

5:162. Accessibility.
    The parking spaces and bicycle parking spaces required by this chapter shall be accessible to a public street or alley and shall be kept available for the use of occupants, employees or other users of the building for which the space was provided. Nothing herein shall preclude a reasonable charge to the occupants of the building for use of the parking spaces or bicycle parking spaces.

5:163. Buildings and uses affected.
    (1) No new building shall be erected unless the parking for bicycles and motor vehicles required by this chapter is provided.

5:168.1. Design of bicycle parking facilities.
    No person shall construct or establish a bicycle parking space except pursuant to a building permit issued upon the submission of plans showing compliance with the following standards:

(1) Facility standards. When bicycle spaces are required by this chapter, the total number of spaces shall be provided by 1 or a combination of the following 3 classifications of bicycle facilities in accordance with section 5:167.

(a) Class A (medium to long-term parking) - Enclosed bicycle storage - enclosed bicycle storage shall be in the form of individual enclosed storage lockers, an enclosed bicycle parking shed, a room within a building which contains individual storage lockers or rack spaces, or individual private garages. All types of enclosed bicycle storage shall be easily accessible, secure, well lighted and weather resistant. If racks within a room are used, 1 standard bicycle parking space shall consist of a space not less than 2 feet wide by 6 feet long with a minimum clear access aisle width of 3 feet. Credit can be extended for creative designs that use the available space more efficiently and store the equivalent number of bicycles in a smaller area. An impervious surface or concrete grass pavers shall connect the enclosed bicycle storage area to a sidewalk or driveway. Enclosed bicycle storage constructed exterior to a building shall comply with the zoning regulations for accessory structures.

(b) Class B (short to medium-term parking) - Covered bicycle racks - covered bicycle racks, such as hoop style racks or another type of rack that meets these standards, shall be securely anchored in pavement and designed so that both wheels and the frame of a bicycle may be securely locked with either a chain, cable or padlock. One standard bicycle parking space shall consist of a space not less than 2 feet wide by 6 feet long with a minimum clear access aisle width of 3 feet. Credit can be extended for creative designs that use the available space more efficiently and store the equivalent number of bicycles in a smaller area. Pavement shall meet city public services department standards. The racks shall be covered by a building overhang or a self-standing cover with a minimum clearance of 7 feet above grade. An impervious surface or concrete grass pavers shall connect the covered bicycle racks to a sidewalk or driveway. All covered bicycle racks shall comply with zoning regulations for accessory structures.

(c) Class C (short-term parking) - Fixed bicycle racks - fixed bicycle racks, such as hoop style racks or another type of rack that meets these standards, shall be securely anchored in pavement and designed so that both wheels and the frame of a bicycle may be securely locked with a chain, cable or padlock. One bicycle parking space shall consist of a space not less than 2 feet wide by 6 feet long with a minimum clear access aisle width of 3 feet. Pavement shall meet city public services department standards. An impervious surface or concrete grass pavers shall connect the fixed bicycle racks to a sidewalk or driveway.

(2) Location criteria. Exterior bicycle parking facilities shall be placed in close proximity to main building entrances and in a location that is visible and easily accessible. A physical barrier, designed to prevent motor vehicles from driving into bicycle parking areas, shall be provided between bicycle and motor vehicle parking when bicycle parking areas are located within a parking structure or lot. Bicycle parking in parking structures shall be located on the street level and near an entrance and public sidewalk.

(3) Lighting. Bicycle parking spaces shall be illuminated from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise, at the levels specified below. The lighting of such parking areas must be designed to provide illumination levels at all unobstructed points of the bicycle parking area in accordance with the following table. Illumination levels shall be measured 3 feet above the lot surface.

Registered
    Jul 2004

stinky commuters

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I think that is a great idea! I think that it should be used much more down here. I do worry about the additional 10% if they have showers. (what is the incentive for the showers then?)
    Maybe I didn't phrase my question correctly...

My thought on the showers is that people are more likely to bike to work if they know that they can shower and get clean before they start their work day--therefore it makes sense to allow more parking to be provided as bike stalls if more people are more likely to use bikes rather than cars...and thus I'm inclined to allow developers to have an additional 10% of parking in the form of bike stalls.

Does that clarify, or just muddy the waters even more?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    That makes sense. Perhaps the developer could offer men's and women's locker rooms in conjunction with an appropriate number of bike lockers, racks and indoor parking in exchange for a reduction in required parking area. Your state should have a bike-ped coordinator at the state transportation agency. Mine does and she is chock full of good info and links.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    You may want to check out the City of Palo Alto's off-street parking regulations. (If the link doesn't work it's Chapter 18.83 and it's on the City website). It has specific design standards for different types of bicycle parking facilities, as well as provisions for the director to vary parking requirements for motor vehicles based upon provision of bicycle parking.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by permaplanjuneau
    Maybe I didn't phrase my question correctly...

My thought on the showers is that people are more likely to bike to work if they know that they can shower and get clean before they start their work day--therefore it makes sense to allow more parking to be provided as bike stalls if more people are more likely to use bikes rather than cars...and thus I'm inclined to allow developers to have an additional 10% of parking in the form of bike stalls.

Does that clarify, or just muddy the waters even more?
    As a developer, if I have one, I have to have the other, but I could go with neither? Hmmm how to save money???

I just think that it might inhibit the possiblity for one or the other when both might be wanted.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Tracking bike racks
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 Aug 2013, 10:43 PM
  2. Regulating bike racks in downtown
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 18 Dec 2009, 3:15 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 24 Aug 2007, 9:43 AM