Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Football Equipment Question

Registered
    Dec 2003

Football Equipment Question

OK, weird question alert!

My 9 y/o stepson just began playing tackle football. His dad signed him up and has been responsible for equipment, etc. I was helping my stepson gather up his gear the other day and noticed that he didn't have a protective cup. He informed me that no one on the team wore them because they would get in the way of running.

I find this somewhat difficult to believe, as protective cups are standard in other sports such as hockey and baseball, both of which I have played. I never played tackle football, though. Is this true? Football players don't wear cups? Enlighten me, please?
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one
    I never played either, though I wish I would have. I would think that it depends on the position you play as to whether you would need a cup or not. I imagine running backs would more likely need one then a wide receiver.

I wear one to the city league softball games, and I still run rather well. Of course I play catcher, so Im willing to sacrifice speed for the jewels.
    Ahh! Beer. So many choices. And it makes so little difference."
    - Bender

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by nuovorecord
    He informed me that no one on the team wore them because they would get in the way of running.
    I'm not buying that. Cups were mandatory gear in our youth football league. Getting "cleated" in the jewels would not be good. Check out the different sizes (a nine-year old would probably wear a small) and speak to the sales associate about why it won't impede running.

I can assure you that Priest Holmes and Jamal Lewis wear cups and they seem to run just fine....

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Have the boy wear a cup...some day he'll thank you standing on his feet and not on his hands and knees wishing he'd have taken your advice.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    If he doesn't wear a cup and he gets hit, his voice won't change.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    If he doesn't wear a cup and he gets hit, his voice won't change.

Bear
    Which could set him up nicely for a career in the opera...
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Speaking from experience.....I broke several while playing (I played defensive tackle and center)....have him wear one!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have never heard of such a thing...get the boy some protection! You can run far when your kicked in the nards...

Or getting pwn3d in this thread...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    May 2002
    I played in high school and college and I always wore one. I can tell you however, that several teamates at both levels (including a future NFL Pro Bowler) did not. It always amazed me. It doesn't make running any easier but I'll take the protection any day.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Jun 2003
    They are never worn in Rugby (it's a deliberate strategy to reduce breeding among less intelligent members of the community), though I understand occasionally members of the Dutch women's team have a need for them.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Thanks all. We had a discussion about the need to "protect the boys" yesterday. He'll start wearing it at practice tonight!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Equipment Rental/Leasing
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 12 Apr 2010, 10:50 AM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last post: 18 Oct 2006, 4:13 PM
  3. Recording Equipment
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 22 Jul 2005, 8:11 AM