Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Works in Progress

Registered
    Oct 2000

Works in Progress

This weekend, I went through the piles and piles of yarn that I've been accumulating and hoarding over the past decade to get rid of all non-essential yarn, which I then donated to charity. In the process, I discovered about NINE unfinished (and some barely started) crocheting/knitting projects. My husband was mildly annoyed at how much yarn I was getting rid of, until I reminded him of all the lumber he's hoarding in the garage for his "future projects". Anyone else with a house full of materials and a head full of projects that just don't seem to get completed?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    Anyone else with a house full of materials and a head full of projects that just don't seem to get completed?
    Ask my mom. She's got sowing/quilting projects that have festered for decades.

She has so much extra material that she her own room for the stuff. My dad refuses to allow it to be in the more public parts of their house.

She has unused bolts of material that is older than my brother (he's 30)
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Yes, I am terrible about having unfinished projects. A lot of my furniture projects are "works in progress". I finally got my platform bed built but the end pieces still need to be removed and painted -- they are just raw wood. Knowing me, they will be raw wood until I get a new bed someday. I have a child's armoire that I reconfigured. It works great and looks great but the top is just laying on top of it, not screwed together, and the back is unfinished -- by "unfinished", I mean that I had good intentions of covering it. It looks fine up against a wall but it looks half-finished if you were to try to use it as a room divider. And there are probably more like that.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    In the dictionary, under "work in progress", you will find a picture of Chateau Tranplanner. All those who have visited can attest to its state of "almost finished".

Beyond that, I could probably open up a decent sized hobby store with all the model kits and model railway crap I've got boxed up downstairs.

Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    In the dictionary, under "work in progress", you will find a picture of Chateau Tranplanner. All those who have visited can attest to its state of "almost finished".
    That would be a Canadian dictionary, ehh? The United States version would have a picture of Manse Gedunker, where I've been finishing the kitchen project I started (more than) a year ago. Last weekend I started installing 5/4" poplar window casing in anticipation of 4" exposure poplar exterior weatherboards. Unfortunately, I absolutely must have a certain trim detail that requires several passes on a table saw. Mrs. G will not let me go buy one so I'm looking for a buddy that will let me use his/hers.

So far, we're on our second Five-Year Plan of the Great March Forward. We were much slowed by the arrival of the 'dunkerettes, but are again following the plan outlined by the Great Leader (Mrs. G., of course )
    Batter up!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    A large rubbermaid storage container full of a lifetime of photos that I've been meaning to sort, purge, and get into new albums. That has been a work in progress since last December or so. I think I've got one album done, many more to go.

Other than that, just some bags of mulch, topsoil, etc that were going to be a new planting bed by my front walk. Hurricane season has that on hold.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Disclaimer: This rant is not to intended to be taken personally, and I do not mean any disrespect to anyone by posting this, but you have just tapped an aggravated pet peeve of mine.

WHAT IS IT WITH PEOPLE who save stuff for “future” projects. I have a case with some 80+ year old guy who have a 24’x40’ poll barn that is only two years old that is stacked so full of junk that he can not take more than 3 steps inside. It is like this all the way to the ceiling. The worst part is now it is overflowing into his back yard.

The sad thing is I have three other cases where I am being called out for Junk and Debris problems because of people who don’t have anywhere else to put them. True we are strict, but I am sorry, what is the good of a 8 year old 3-foot 2”x4”? What is the good of saving an old lawnmower that does not have a motor? Or a car that does not run? (and will never be a “Classic”)

Pack Rats drive me crazy.
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I might win the worst case of hording here. I have 800 sq feet of hardwood flooring sitting in my parent drive shed. Do I own a house that it could go into? No, will I likely ever use it, no, but i own it.

My step father was bad until they had a fire, he lost 35 years of electronics transistors, capacitors, tubes, amps and other things, that he knew he'd need, but never used.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    I might win the worst case of hording here. I have 800 sq feet of hardwood flooring sitting in my parent drive shed. Do I own a house that it could go into? No, will I likely ever use it, no, but i own it.
    You never know... and that is something that you could resell pretty easily with the way second-hand hardwood planks are going these days.

For me, I have a low grade pack rat fever. Not too bad, but when I do find unique items I do acquire them for future projects. I have two table bases in the garage that are waiting to be made into tables. And it will get done... eventually.

Speaking of future projects... anyone know a good place to buy copper (or something similar) mesh?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I want to learn how to knit so I could have unfinished projects.

Right now the only thing unfinished is part of the backyard (won't plant anything until monsoon season is over) and I need to touch up some of the edging from painting this weekend.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    Speaking of future projects... anyone know a good place to buy copper (or something similar) mesh?
    Depending on teh guage you need, try a good hardware store/ building supply store. Look for the wire mesh sheets they use for foundations. It is usually steel though.

If not a good garden supply place, one that does or knows about topiary would also be a safe bet
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    well... I am in the process of rehabing a house...so we have lots of spare lumber...which I continually tap into. I do have a mission rocker and chair waiting to be refinished in the basement as well. I love fixing things up.... just hard to do everything when I work all day for someone else...

and... I have an outdoor fireplace...... burn up the excess
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    A large rubbermaid storage container full of a lifetime of photos that I've been meaning to sort, purge, and get into new albums. That has been a work in progress since last December or so. I think I've got one album done, many more to go.

Other than that, just some bags of mulch, topsoil, etc that were going to be a new planting bed by my front walk. Hurricane season has that on hold.
    Oh god. I don't even want to think about my back log of scrapbooking.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by tsc
    I do have a mission rocker and chair waiting to be refinished in the basement as well.
    That reminds me... I bought a cushioned rocking chair about a month ago that I am planning on reupholstering some time in the next year (sometime after the reconstruction and then after the wedding)... I guess I have projects lined up for a long, long time.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero
    I want to learn how to knit so I could have unfinished projects.

Right now the only thing unfinished is part of the backyard (won't plant anything until monsoon season is over) and I need to touch up some of the edging from painting this weekend.
    I saw on the news the other night that it is technically over so get cracking!

I think if you own a home, you have unfinished projects. I have too many.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    **Unfinished knitting projects.

**For the past year, I've been hoarding various things to be used for wedding decorations, favors, etc.

**A candle-making kit that I NEVER took out of the shrinkwrap.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Sep 2013, 5:00 PM
  2. Cyburbia upgrade progress: October 2011
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 17 Jan 2012, 2:13 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Sep 2006, 1:00 PM
  4. WPA - Works Progress Administration