Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Gallery

Registered
    Oct 2001

Gallery

Dan
    In the Gallery, how about having a First Amendment section where we can post photos of those great anti-planning signs? I have a few I'd like to post.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Does El Guapo have pix of a windmill erected in honor of a certain nameless zoning administrator?

Registered
    Oct 2001

El Poltroon

That was one of the many I planned to post Mike!

Where else but America can someone call you a coward for doing your job and be protected by law.

4 entries found for Poltroon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pol·troon Pronunciation Key (pl-trn)
    n.
    A base coward: “Every moment of the fashion industry's misery is richly deserved by the designers... and magazine poltroons who perpetuate this absurd creation” (Nina Totenberg).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [French poltron, from Old Italian poltrone, coward, idler, perhaps augmentative of poltro, unbroken colt (from Vulgar Latin *pulliter, from Latin pullus, young animal. See pau- in Indo-European Roots), or from poltro, bed, lazy.]
    pol·trooner·y n.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Poltroon

\Pol*troon"\, a. Base; vile; contemptible; cowardly.
    Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

Poltroon

\Pol*troon"\, n. [F. poltron, from It. poltrone an idle fellow, sluggard, coward, poltro idle, lazy, also, bed, fr. OHG. polstar, bolstar, cushion, G. polster, akin to E. bolster. See Bolster.] An arrant coward; a dastard; a craven; a mean-spirited wretch. --Shak.
    Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

Poltroon

adj : characterized by complete cowardliness n : an abject coward [syn: craven, recreant]
    Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Re: Gallery

Originally posted by El Guapo
    In the Gallery, how about having a First Amendment section where we can post photos of those great anti-planning signs? I have a few I'd like to post.
    I'd day that they probably fit well in the "worst case scenario" section. (I've got one example at http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=72 .) It's too bad such a category exists, but still ...
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001

okay

WORKS FOR ME!

+ Reply to thread