Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Winter vacation destinations

Registered
    Nov 2004

Winter vacation destinations

What are some favorite places to escape frosty weather and get a little sunshine in January and February?

My favorite winter sunshine destination so far is the Four Corners region (Moab, UT to Flagstaff, AZ back to Gallup, NM). Arches National Park, the Painted Desert, Grand Canyon, Canyon De Chelly, Navaho Nation, Route 66, incredible rock landscapes, sunshine (although it can be cold), cool tourist towns that have their off-season in the winter (cheap accomodations). It is pretty much a driving tour.

I have been bugging Skeleton to tell me about Chile, it must be even better to cross the equator during the northern winter and enjoy some summer weather while friends endure the arctic blasts.

So what are some other good winter escape destinations?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Quote Originally posted by munibulldog
    What are some favorite places to escape frosty weather and get a little sunshine in January and February?
    Who cares about warm weather!

Mt. Bohemia (yes in the UP)

Marquette Mountain

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Try....

How about El Paso Texas.....visit the border towns of Mexico.....try to cross over into the US.....take a passport and explain that your doing research on the Gilla Monster population.....or scouting a new location for tract homes.....ha ha ha....

Or

Needles Az/Ca just because of its name......

Or

a little place called Vegas......baby (Tele Savalis? impression.....)
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Who cares about warm weather!
    I was asking about January and February. That looks more like Yooperland in June.

Everyone knows that the sun does not rise above the horizon from November to March in the arctic north.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Muni, if you don't get out and hike the Four Corners region, you are missing some amazing things. That is my favorite trekking ground, and I was just there over Thanksgiving.

Another favorite is California. Parks like Joshua Tree, Death Valley, Sequoia and Yosemite are not at all crowded, although the higher elevations of Yosemite and Sequoia are closed. The California wine country is also a great short getaway.

I have been down to Clearwater a few times. I prefer the Gulf Coast, and I go up to Crystal River to rent a canoe and snorkling gear, to swim among the manatees.

Northern Minnesota or the Upper Penninsula are great camping destinations this time of year. There are no mosquitos and the temperature generally stays below 20F. In fact, I have been camping there when the temperature hit -42F. This keeps the snow from melting and getting you wet.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    ...[snip]...The California wine country is also a great short getaway....[snip]....
    I'll be there for Christmas. I would also add the San Mateo, Santa Cruz and Monterey county's coastlines.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Northern Minnesota or the Upper Penninsula are great camping destinations this time of year. There are no mosquitos and the temperature generally stays below 20F. In fact, I have been camping there when the temperature hit -42F. This keeps the snow from melting and getting you wet.
    This Bear experienced actual 39-below while in Paradise, Upper Mivchigan. I was NOT camping. We did spend considerable time outside and would get to melt the frozen stuff off our beards and eyelashes by the warm air inside Nick's Log Cabin tavern.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Vegas. Taking the SO for the first time. I've been there 7 times prior. Should be fun enough though neither of us really are gamblers.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Come to Colorado, and ski. There are numerous small resorts that are affordable, less crowded and offer some great powder.

Got some snow in the mountains last night... BTW
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I'm with M'skis on winter destinations. All the trips I plan on taking this winter revolve around downhill skiing, cross-country skiing or snowshoeing. I try my best to take advantage of the winter and not escape it.

Registered
    May 1997
    If you want a switch from Moab as a base (I don't really ever tire of that country), I have spent Christmas at Zion N.P., and it can be nice. Bryce Canyon is a little too high if you want to be warm, but it is a great uncrowded experience in the winter months. Likewise Capitol Reef.

If you want a real switch fly into El Paso, but leave town immediately and head for Big Bend N.P. Just watch out for the skunks in the campground.

Another great place for the early winter is SE Arizona. Tucson can be fun, with both urban and outdoor attractions: hiking in Saguaro N.P. (East or West), the Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum is perhaps the best natural history museum on earth, great Mexican food, etc, (truly dedicated planners will want to go take a look at Civano). Then you can tour and hike into the Santa Ritas, Chiricahuas, etc. My advice is to avoid Phoenix.

If you do decide to look for snow, I recommend a trip to Bend, OR and Mt Bachelor as a great, but somewhat lesser known ski destination.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Last year my wife and I were offered a good (2 for 1) deal on a carribean vacation - it was the first time either of us had been and we had a great time. I don't think I'd go every year though.

Funnily enough, Mrs. Tranplanner mentioned to me last night that she thought I could use a vacation. We may look at getting away to Quebec City for Winter Carnival this year.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    What is this vacation you speak of?

I believe the next vacation I will take will be 2 years down the road
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by munibulldog
    I have been bugging Skeleton to tell me about Chile, it must be even better to cross the equator during the northern winter and enjoy some summer weather while friends endure the arctic blasts.
    Ask an ye shall recieve: The Ultimate Valdivia Thread

Registered
    Jul 2002
    What is this winter you speak of? It's summer here

Ok, so is I was going on a winter vacation in June/July, I might go 4 hours drive north to Mt Ruapehu for skiing or snowboarding.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    One of these days I'm gonna spend Christmas in Hawaii!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    I don't go on vacation in the winter (gauranteed to miss out on the best ski days of the year if you go). Although, I will be spending New Years in Tempe for the Fiesta Bowl.
    Last edited by cololi; 20 Dec 2004 at 1:49 PM.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Right now, my favorite place to escape winter is to drive an hour west to the coastal areas. Solano County has seen almost no sun for two weeks. Nothing is more dismal than Valley "Tule Fog" which just hangs over everything. Meanwhile, in San Francisco it was 60 degrees and sunny.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I am leaving for Cancun on Jan 3...may not be my first choice but it is a warm place and margaritas on the beach days after the christmas hub-bub sure sounds like heaven to me...I cannot wait!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Right now, my favorite place to escape winter is to drive an hour west to the coastal areas. Solano County has seen almost no sun for two weeks. Nothing is more dismal than Valley "Tule Fog" which just hangs over everything. Meanwhile, in San Francisco it was 60 degrees and sunny.
    Or you can go an hour east and get above the fog in the Sierras... It's pretty cool to look down and see the fog stretch out into the distance.

I flew home one Christmas out of Sacto to Burbank. It was 29F in Sacto with a thick fog. At the time I wasn't used to the cold (hell, I'd barely put a jacket on for 29F these days ), and I was all layered up with a heavy jacket, long underwear... the whole works. When we landed in Burbank it was 85F and there you exit out of the plan onto the tarmac. I had to start peeling off layers right there on the tarmac, which I'm sure looked quite funny.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 53
    Last post: 02 Jul 2013, 5:13 PM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last post: 07 Feb 2011, 10:26 AM
  3. Travel Destinations Near You
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 12 Aug 2006, 9:56 PM
  4. Replies: 19
    Last post: 11 Jul 2005, 11:08 AM