Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyburbia's "Planner's Choice" Ranking of the Best Cities - Nomination Thread

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Collingwood, ON
    Madison, IN
    Bloomington, IN
    I don't dream. I plan.

Pittsburgh, PA
    Madison, WI
    Portland, OR

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Traverse City, Michigan

Chicago, IL
    Quebec City
    Marquette MI
    Louisville, KY

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Can I veto Boulder? Nice urban design, but a planning disaster!

Anyway, I nominate:
    Washington, DC
    Arlington, VA
    Toronto, ONT

... PlannerGirl is on vacation in Florida, but I will speak for her and second my nomination for Arlington
    Last edited by Cirrus; 15 Sep 2004 at 4:02 PM.

Toronto, Ontario
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Boulder, Colorado

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Denver, Colorado
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Nelson, British Columbia
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2003

seeing through the rain......

Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    Port Townsend, WA; Astoria, OR; Missoula, MT
    I like these selections so well that I must second two of them:

Astoria, OR
    Pt. Townsend, WA

And, my last vote goes to:
    Hood River, OR

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

(W)rong

Quote Originally posted by Cirrus

Anyway, I nominate:
    Washington, DC
    Arlington, VA
    Philadelphia, PA

... PlannerGirl is on vacation in Florida, but I will speak for her and second my nomination for Arlington
    (W)rong, (W)rong, (W)rong......Boulder is many things, but not a planning disaster....maybe transportation planning disaster....but the surrounding communities have done everything they can, to destroy Boulder's unique freestanding qualities....Louisville, Lafayette, Erie and above all SUPERIOR, largely with the help of home rule and limited (none) Boulder county involvement in local planning at those municipal levels. (Thank goodness for the open space movement in Boulder and the backing it up with $$$ to keep the little wanabes at bay) Don't forget the lack of teeth from DRCOG to help control the madness.

As the saying goes: Boulder is Boulder, Superior wants to be Boulder, Lafayette wants to be Louisville, Louisville wants to be Boulder, Broomfield became its own county and Weld County wants to be Arkansas .........ha ha ha ha....I made some of that last part up for my Weld County friends....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Nov 2002
    So what kind of living standard are we talking about here? I mean, if I'm pulling in loads of money then I'd say Georgetown or in Beacon Hill in Boston would be my favorite places, but if I'm a middle income city planner I'd have to stick with some place like Pittsburgh. I'll give it a shot anyway....

Washington, DC / Arlington, VA (what's the difference?)
    Pittsburgh (no boosterism intended because it's a pretty nice place to live)
    Charleston, SC

Can you tell I'm kind of partial to the East Coast?

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    Houston, Texas (just kidding, I had to screw around with ya'll a little)
    Hey!!! Some of us have to live here, ya know!!

My nominations:

Coppell, TX
    Alexandria, VA
    Reno/Sparks, NV
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Please, you can't be serious....?

Having seen some of the responses, maybe I should change my nominations to:

Gary Indiana
    Butte (aka BUTT) Montana
    El Paso (El Crapo) Texas

(just kidding, I really do like El Paso....ooozzzes with character...)

Bwha ha ha ha......Bwha ha ha ha......
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Oh, don't get me started. I actually lived in Boulder for four years and know many of the movers and shakers professionally, if not personally.

FACT: Boulder planning has succeeded in drastically increasing the rate of sprawl by limiting growth and density in the urban core while offering no suitable alternatives for a rapidly growing population. The people have to go somewhere!

FACT: Boulder's open space programs have succeeded in drastically increasing the distance sprawl is forced to leap frog, increasing pollution, congestion and ultimately eating up more open space.

FACT: Boulder's growth policies have succeeded in gutting the city's retail tax base to the point where keeping the essential services (police and fire) operating at adequate levels required a special tax increase.

FACT: Boulder's extreme-exclusionary planning practices have succeeded in making it more expensive than any other place in Colorado except Denver's most exclusive neighborhood, Cherry Creek. Progressive affordable housing programs barely make a dent compared to the market forces created by bad planning.

FACT: Boulder proper looks like the embodiment of Smart Growth (due to really good urban design), but statistically it is less dense than many suburbs.

FACT: Boulder leadership is completely, utterly, 100% apathetic about what happens outside the greenbelt. The rest of the universe may as well not exist.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yup....

Oh, don't get me started. I actually lived in Boulder for four years and know many of the movers and shakers professionally, if not personally.

FACT: Boulder planning has succeeded in drastically increasing the rate of sprawl by limiting growth and density in the urban core while offering no suitable alternatives for a rapidly growing population. The people have to go somewhere!

FACT: Boulder's open space programs have succeeded in drastically increasing the distance sprawl is forced to leap frog, increasing pollution, congestion and ultimately eating up more open space.

FACT: Boulder's growth policies have succeeded in gutting the city's retail tax base to the point where keeping the essential services (police and fire) operating at adequate levels required a special tax increase.

FACT: Boulder's extreme-exclusionary planning practices have succeeded in making it more expensive than any other place in Colorado except Denver's most exclusive neighborhood, Cherry Creek. Progressive affordable housing programs barely make a dent compared to the market forces created by bad planning.

FACT: Boulder proper looks like the embodiment of Smart Growth (due to really good urban design), but statistically it is less dense than many suburbs.

FACT: Boulder leadership is completely, utterly, 100% apathetic about what happens outside the greenbelt. The rest of the universe may as well not exist.
    All good points.... but the alternative, under the "Colorado" system is sprawl anyway...and out into those currently protected farmland acquistion areas. Not to mention the annexation wars that would surely take place...leading to even faster un-planned growth....At least the way it is now, Boulder could allow itself to redevelop with density in the correct locations (if they wake up and decide to let the rest of the world in their City )
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Honestly...Miami, FL is my fav. city on this earth. It is urban, yet you can play in the environ. (ocean, keys, everglades...).

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Hceux
    Donk, what's so great about Saint John, NB. When I first came across this city, I was like :-0 and couldn't pick up my jaw bones because they splintered so hard and into many pieces from shock! And perhaps my eyes popped out too much!
    It is a place that you have to spend time in, but it will grow on you.

Some of the good things about Saint John

Cheap to live in

Good places to eat

Good bars

Rockwood Park

The Bay of Fundy in the City limits

4-5 hours to Boston, depending on how you drive.

Relatively good weather in the winter, ok weather in the summer, 20 minutes to awesome weather in teh summer.

University with a good MBA program.

if there was a job there I'd be ther in a minute.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner
    Chicago, IL
    Quebec City
    Marquette MI
    Louisville, KY
    Marquette MI????? You know you might be onto something...

Lets see, it has Northern Michigan University and Marquette General Hospital. It also has places like Up Front and Company, The Land Mark Inn and Marquette Mountain Ski Area.

All of this surrounded by beautiful Marquette County on the coast of Lake Superior.

The best part about it is that Marquette has a historic, and semi urban feel in the downtown, surrounded by a natural paradise. The cultural options of the area in working with NMU, and other cultural venues rival many other cities of two to three times itís size. It is home to things such as the Superior Dome (worlds largest wooden dome), St. Peterís Cathedral, the Marquette County Court House (used in the movie anatomy of a Murder with Jimmy Stewart, and Presque Isle Park. Also it is not on the record, Fredrick Law Olmsted visited a patch of wilderness out on a stone peninsula, and after he started to recover from his mental break down, wrote a letter with suggestions to Peter White. All of which are now in full effect. (letter can be found in several records and books)

The best part is the snow and the fog makes it look like a post card.

All of this for a city of around 22,000 people, reasonable housing prices, and strong middle class work ethic. Yep!!! Your right, it is one of the greatest cities in the US.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Don't they also have a lot of "Limousine Liberals?"

Registered
    Feb 2003
    St. Augustine, FL
    Philadelphia, PA
    Orlando, FL
    What can I say, I am a Florida girl.

Zurich, Switzerland - non-US vote and non-lived in place

For this vote, should we consider places we have visited or just visited because the two are very different?

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Burlington, VT
    Ithaca, NY
    Boston, MA
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Pure opinion, 3 based on places I have been-

1-Barcelona Spain

2-Coppenhagen Denmark

3-Chicago IL (though the cubbies would have to leave to make the place perfect)

Honorable Mentions, pretty diverse group, based on certian aspects of the built enviroment that I happened to like

Berlin Germany
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Stockholm Sweden
    Vancouver Canada
    Munich Germany
    Paris France
    Calgary Canada
    Minneapolis Mn
    Boulder Co.
    Columbus In.
    St. Louis Mo. (current residence)

There are probably a dozen other cities that would join the honorable list after a visit. But, it does not feel right commenting on them if I have not been there.
    She has been a bad girl, she is like a chemical, though you try and stop it she is like a narcotic.

     
    Registered
    May 2004
    I'll nominate my own town to get it in under the wire.

Halifax
    Toronto
    Vancouver

Despite living 2 hours from New Brunswick, I hardly ever go there, and I've never been to Saint John. I would like to visit for a bit.. it must have some great architecture. I bet that few people here realise just how big it was for most of the 19th century, at least in Canadian terms. It was hit so hard by Canadian trade policies and changing technology though that even in the 1880's it lost people. Not too many North American cities that were well-established at the time can claim that!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I would love to nominate De Noc, Northern Michigan.....but since it is a big fake.....I will refrain from pulling the lever. (Oh those hanging chads have returned.)

Bear's nominations are:

Marquette, Michigan
    Toronto, Ontario
    Chicago, Illinois

Bear In Da Booth
    Occupy Cyburbia!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Had to give it some thought...

Toronto, ON
    Ottawa, ON
    Edinborough, UK

Registered
    May 1997
    I haven't entered the "contest" here because I can't pick just three: it depends oon the mood of the moment.

Having lived in Logan for three years and kept in touch over the years, including an occasional professional visit, I do not agree. The setting is beautiful and USU is a good place to go to school for anybody who likes to hike, ski, etc. while getting a respectable education in any of several fields, but the unremitting, unapologetic sprawl, on the north end (mostly), the hostility between much of the local populace and the university, and the conservative politics in which Logan and the entire state of Utah are so deeply immersed would keep it well down on my list. I do see some improvement in Logan, but its not moving up my list that fast. There are also some competing places in Utah: if you can withstand intense summer heat, Moab is a lot of fun. Cedar City is a real sleeper for "best places" lists. It offers great access to a combination of desert and mountain scenery and recreation, along with a healthy downtown and a small university.

I want to also to take a stand, along with others, against the Boulder bashing. The only result of Boulder having failed to adopt its growth control policies would be one more formerly pleasant little city destroyed by poor, sprawling development. Yes, one of the consequences has been to divert growth to places that didn't handle it so well, but that is most definitely not Boulder's fault. The smaller cities could also have created greenbelts and that slice of the Front Range would, given sufficient investment in rapid transit between the 'burbs, be an outstanding place to live. But while Boulder is more expensive, I do not think housing is truly affordable for most working people anywhere along the urban Front Range any more. Fort Collins has tried, and with quite a bit of success, to take a moderate approach to managing growth, but housing is still very expensive there.

Places that others have mentioned that clearly belong on the list in my experience: Burlington, VT; Traverse City, MI; Hood River, OR; Port Townsend, WA; Portland, OR; Madison, WI (although redevelopment removed my favorite bar, leaving me with something of a bone to pick with Madison); San Francisco, for those who like big cities, and as BKM notes, it has high quality 'burbs.
    Last edited by Lee Nellis; 17 Sep 2004 at 8:43 AM. Reason: complete list

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 28 Sep 2007, 10:45 AM
  2. Replies: 41
    Last post: 14 Oct 2004, 10:38 AM