Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: To tell or not to tell, that is the question

Registered
    Sep 2001

To tell or not to tell, that is the question

At my last job this was an easy one, I told them I was job hunting, and even told them when I was going on interviews. Of course I had been there for 5 years and had a tonne of vacation days, overtime and general good will built up. With this new job, I've just passed 6 months and have none of the above. In the next 2 weeks I have 2 interviews, one I'll take from lieu time, the other not sure how I'll swing the time off, call in sick that day?

Anyone or everyone out there have any suggestions as to whether I should tell my Director or not? We've already had the talk about how this place/job is not for me and how what I see on the plate is all I'll get to eat for a long time coming.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 1998
    That is always hard, but if you have had the discussion with the director already he/she probably has a feeling you are looking. I don't think you need to tell them you are interviewing. It's your time off, use it how you wish.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It sounds like you already gave them the heads up in a way... so if you were to leave, it won't come as a big surprise. Also, it depends on the type of person your boss is. My last job, I didn't tell my boss at the time that I was applying here... because she was psycho and who knows what she would have done. I have decided to apply to another job in the area recently, and I have already told my current boss. I told him that I'm not actively looking, but that this job seemed too good to not at least try. He understands and supports me. So it all depends on your situation.

Since you have already kind of told him in a way, I say just let it lie until they start to get more serious (like a second interview or if they call you and ask for references).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I would hesitate to tell, given the short time you have been there. This would be especially true if you were in some probabationary period.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    I would hesitate to tell, given the short time you have been there. This would be especially true if you were in some probabationary period.
    Just passed my probation date yesterday, still waiting for the review and the "talk".

In some way getting fired, as long as I could collect POGIE, would not be the worst thing that could happen to me.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    In some way getting fired, as long as I could collect POGIE, would not be the worst thing that could happen to me.
    What is this "POGIE" you speak of?
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SGB
    What is this "POGIE" you speak of?
    EI, UI, the dole...

Employment Insurance is the correct name, it replaced UI (Unemployment insurance), POGIE is just another slang word for any number of gov't programs you may be eligible for if you are laid off, but not necessarily fired.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Geez... I don't think I would say anything...and I would call in sick to go to the interview.
    8-|
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    My last job, my co-workers and my supervisor knew I was looking, but my "boss" and the people above him had no idea.

(but then again, my "boss" was never in the office)

My first interview was a phone one, so I did it on my break (plus some) on the roof of City Hall, then I used comp time...
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Its none of the bossman's business.

1) I wouldn't tell your current employers that you are interviewing. If they feel betrayed, they might bite you for it. The exception being if you were to be assigned some task that would harm your current employer if you were to accept another position.

2) I hope your are not serious about getting fired. Trust me, both my former boss and my wife were oustanding at their respective employers and were unjustly fired. It left them with very low self-esteem and a lot of worries about how to answer when asked about it in their next interviews. Sure, being on the dole for a while is one thing, but it carries baggage.

3) Knock 'em dead on the next job interview and get the hell out of there to someplace you like. Best wishes!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I agree completely with Gedunker.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Keep to yourself

The less interaction you have with your current employer about this topic, the better. They may sing your praises to your face, but when they get a call for referrence, all bets are off.....

I would conduct myself in a professional way until time to leave...
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 2002

tell/notell

I wouldn't tell, especially since you're new. Also, I'd be leery about using sick time. Your prospective employer will likely ask for permission from you to contact your present employer. If it is leaked that you took sick time for the interview, that could give your current employer the right to use disciplinary action and you prospective employer will likely not appreciate hiring somebody who has a history of mis-using sick time. Get ready to explain why you're considering leaving you current job. You don't want to come accross as a job hopper.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Sep 2001
    The sick days vs non sick days is a contributing factor to me wanting to leave this place. I was sent home because I was sick, then docked the pay. This is after selling me this place as a small place that has rules, but understands there is a need for flexibility. The law here allows for 10 sick days per year without pay, if they dock me again so be it. I also think that doing job interviews is a health issue, primarily my mental health.

If they ask if they can contact my current employer I will respectfully request that they don't. Here is the reason, that due to the type and quantity of work I have on the go, I don't think that it reflects my abilities or interests in an appropriate manner.

On job hopping, the place I am working for has a really bad rep about being a place to work so jumping ship here is no big deal. Considering I stayed at my first job for almost 3 years and my second over 5, I think people will understand my reasons for leaving so quickly.

Thanks for the advice.

Registered
    Jul 2002

job

Sounds like "heaven" . Good luck.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Jul 2004

don't tell

I would keep it to myself, regardless of my relationship w/my boss. It's just not professional to advertise the fact that you're looking for something else IMHO.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 22 Jun 2012, 10:37 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 06 Aug 2010, 12:05 PM
  3. GRE question
    Student Commons
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 12 Jul 2007, 8:41 AM
  4. Question
    Make No Small Plans