Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Advise the ZMan PLEASE

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Advise the ZMan PLEASE

Cyburbia: I seem to be in a bit of a quandry and want to hear what others would do. My girlfriend wants to return to where she grew up or somewhere near there to live. We recently graduated college and I began a Planner I position 4 months ago near where I grew up and near our college. Like I said, she wishes to return home to live her adult life, and also at least to be near an ailing relative. I have also hinted about living in this area too.
    Yesterday i see job up there that i would love to do. It is about three hours from where she grew up and we're both kind of excited about it.
    But I have started my current job only 4 months ago, and our apartment lease doesn;t end until May. But that is nothing. My office is short staffed and two planners have left. I don't want to hurt my workplace, b/c I like it here, but this opportunity seems good for both of us.

What should I do?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Sep 2001
    From my recent expereince, do what is best for you now and in the long run.

Unless they have treated you very well(moving expenses, etc), you really need to have no loyalty to an employer of such a short time. Just try doing something in the "grey" of the OPM and see how loyal they are to you.

If there is someplace you'd rather be and is better for you then do it and don't look back.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If it's going to move your life in the direction you want, then at least apply. It never hurts to apply (and interview experience from time to time is good, if only to keep your interview skills fresh). If you guys are that strapped for staff there, salary savings can be used for a contract planner for awhile. I would say 'don't feel guilty', but that is easier said than done, I know.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Apply. It is your current employer's problem to find replacements. Do what you want and don't stay somewhere out of some feeling of obligation.

That being said, if you apply for the job and manage to get it, see if they can delay your start date and explain the situation with your current city. Most of them understand you need time to relocate anyway so you may not have to mention it. Try to leave the city you work at on the best terms as possible since they are in a bad situation and you need positive references. If you have any friends in the area looking for jobs, let them know that your current city is hiring, etc. Basically, do everything you can to help your current city transition. I may be totally off-base with this, but I'm just a nice guy that doesn't like to leave on bad terms.

Also, if you apply expect a question about why you want to leave your current job after only four months.

I say go for it!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    If it's going to move your life in the direction you want, then at least apply. It never hurts to apply (and interview experience from time to time is good, if only to keep your interview skills fresh). If you guys are that strapped for staff there, salary savings can be used for a contract planner for awhile. I would say 'don't feel guilty', but that is easier said than done, I know.
    Ditto, returning to your old stomping grounds provided a good job is to be had is a good move, IMO.

Registered
    Nov 2002

No Clean Answer

My first job after grad school I left after 7 months because a good opportunity came along and the place I was working wasn't living up to its end of the bargain. That was a great move and I don't regret it one bit.

I have also had a situation where I left one job to go to what I thought was going to be a better one, only to sober up and end up back at my old job after four weeks. I am still grateful to that place for letting me come back, since I stayed there for six years.

So this is a long way of saying, think about how this will look on your resume (you will probably end up leaving your current job off your resume since it was such a short time, if you leave) and make sure that you really want to make this move. In terms of whether you owe your current workplace something, the default answer is no, unless they have taken a chance on you or given you an unusual opportunity. At the early end of a planning career these kinds of changes are more common than you think.

Sometimes a move after a short time is the right thing, and sometimes it ain't. How's that for plannerspeak equivocating? Good luck.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    Apply. It is your current employer's problem to find replacements. Do what you want and don't stay somewhere out of some feeling of obligation....I say go for it!
    Ditto. Especially if this is where you and your girlfriend plan to live for a long period of time. At the very least, APPLY for the position. That does not obligate you to anything. If you are offered the job, THEN you can deal with your current position. Also, you said that you were "excited." That's always a good thing to be said about your job!

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yes, give it a shot....

Being fresh out of school, don't worry about the 4 month thing, as long as you can get a good reference from your boss or someone else where you work. Later in your career, I would suggest a minimum of one+ year in a position prior to moving, but it sounds like this move may be your last.

I wouldn't tell your new employer that your "girlfriend" was the reason you moved. Now if she were your fiancé.....now that's a different story (hint hint.... :-C )

Don't worry about your office and their staff problems. Make application then consider specific's after you get the job.....anyway, if it's a government job, it will take eon's to interview and get a decision, by then it may be May already....ha ha ha..... Good Luck.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Cyburbia:
    I appreciate the feedback I recieved. I slept on it and I am a little more doubtful than before. I do not feel that I owe my current city, but I feel they took a chance on me and I have a good job (considering job market, my age/experience). As for the job opportunity, there are many things to consider, like fewer people/jobs in the area, fewer rentals, and the cost to move there. I don;t know whether they would move me or not, and I don;t feel like risking it. Plus it would take $2100 to get out of my lease here in CO.
    All in all, I think I will apply and then see what happens. If all the pieces fit, then I'll go, if not, then I'll stay, get my experience and AICP and then where the world takes me.
    Also, my mother told me last night on the phone, that I've been living with my GF for four months also. Maybe I should see where that takes us before we move to a totally different place.

Once again, Thanks Cyburbia!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich
    My first job after grad school I left after 7 months because a good opportunity came along and the place I was working wasn't living up to its end of the bargain. That was a great move and I don't regret it one bit.

I have also had a situation where I left one job to go to what I thought was going to be a better one, only to sober up and end up back at my old job after four weeks.
    The job hoping thing for me was more about self discovery and coming to an understanding about who I am and the type of work environment that I could florish in. When I left my second job, I had been there for 5 years and really couldn't think of a reason to leave it. The job I went to paid better and was more "prestigious". Well, about a year into it, I realized that it wasn't for me. I missed being part of a community and working for the City I lived in. I was miserable. Then this job appeared and the honeymoon isn't over after 10 months. I'll be here for quite awhile.

Bottomline, some will work out, some won't, but you will eventually find where you can thrive.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hello, need advise.
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 May 2009, 7:35 PM
  2. GISers, please advise.
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 13 Feb 2007, 6:20 PM
  3. Zman, this one's for you
    Friday Afternoon Club