Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Obesity and sprawl?

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Lee Nellis
    In the digression to dating behavior that accompanies this thread, I haven't noted anyone questioning a basic, but unstated premise. The premise is that women or men who look hot, are hot. Is that really true? I am not questioning the premise that people who think they look good, have more confidence. But is looking good the only source of self-confidence? I think not. And is looking good always a sign of self-confidence? I think not.
    Thank you, thank you. I have to say that I am extremely self confident. Part of this is due to the fact that I'm a cute girl. But even at my heaviest, I still had confidence and felt good about myself, because I'm smart, and have friends that love me, and a great family, and because I'm almost always right about things.

As Dr. Phil says (stop groaning) there is a difference between body image and self esteem.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    Again, this is still tough to take seriously. Mediocrity is such a relativistic idea. Nevertheless, if it were me and mediocrity was not an option, I would not be wasting away my time here on Cyburbia. And further, if mediocrity was not an option, I certainly would not let someone else defend my actions. Of course, this just illustrates the relativity of mediocrity.
    You're right, of course in that 'mediocrity' is a very relative concept. The goals he has set for himself professionally are way higher than what anyone else in the office would openly subscribe to with a straight face - yet he does so and his actions in terms of work bely his dedication to these goals. He does not seem to be very content with what the majority of folks are. Now does he pursue the highest goals in EVERYTHING? No. I suspect he hasn't risen above the pack in terms of the study of grammar (which it could be argued is potentially an impediment to his other goals) or, I don't know, dental hygiene or whatever, but in terms of large goals, that is with issues which occupy the greatest amount of human attention (job, realtionship, self improvement, etc.), I can honestly say that he stands out in a crowd with regards to both the intensity of pursuit and height of goals he has set. He is no saint. He possesses what I would consider to be only marginally above-average gifts in terms of innate talents. He just does more with what he's got than what the majority of people you encounter. I don't know how else to explain it other than to say its an attitude he exudes and unless you've seen it it's hard to believe it or buy it. And it's not that he's always beaming positive about everything and everyone. But he is ALWAYS positive about himself. No one who has ever spent any appreciable time around him could possibly dispute this.

Wanigas, I know this is a tough one to swallow. I probably wouldn't believe it if someone else told me, but Michaelskis is the Donald Trump of self confidence. You and i might not buy what he says always, but there can be no doubt he is completely committed to his own convictions.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally posted by Lee Nellis
    But is looking good the only source of self-confidence? I think not. And is looking good always a sign of self-confidence? I think not.
    I have known some people that I consider extremely attractive that were among some of the most seriously screwed up people you might ever encounter. It was truly a facade that hid extreme self-doubt and destructive behaviors.

In my college years, I would have considered myself a 7 perhaps 7.5, at best. I dated a girl, a swimmer and Homecoming Queen candidate (she was second runnerup), that I (and others) thought was a 9 to 9.25. While I pursued her, and even after we were dating exclusively, my friends would tell me I was in over my head, that she was too good looking for me and I'd end up heart broken. I worked my butt off to have FUN and be HAPPY with her because it is contagious. And it worked: we dated for nearly three years and talked seriously of marriage.

I did end up with a broken heart, but in all honestly, it was much more my doing than hers (with a little does of *help* from her mother the beyotch). So, Dan and all of you single guys out there: looks aren't everything.

Now I'm an old, slightly overweight, semi-sedentary, happily married, father of two living the Urban Planner's dream
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Wanigas, I know this is a tough one to swallow. I probably wouldn't believe it if someone else told me, but Michaelskis is the Donald Trump of self confidence. You and i might not buy what he says always, but there can be no doubt he is completely committed to his own convictions.
    Then what's with the "whoa was me" girl problems? He should just figure that he's too good for all of them anyway. It can be lonely at the top. Or maybe we are just in a fishbowl.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    No. I suspect he hasn't risen above the pack in terms of .... I don't know, dental hygiene or whatever....
    You mean he doesn't brush his teeth??? JUST KIDDING.

I don't know how else to explain it other than to say its an attitude he exudes and unless you've seen it it's hard to believe it or buy it.
    Well, I think that's what some of us have a problem with. I'm referring to life in general here, but there is nothing wrong with being self confident - there *is* something wrong with coming across with the attitude that you are better than everyone else.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Off-topic:

As a person who was recently dumped for among other reasons "accepting mediocrity in my life" I have been reflecting on this question quite a bit.

While accepting mediocrity for everything is probably not a healthy personality trait, prioritizing what items are important and not accepting anything less that the best is healthy. For example, i am willing and relatively happy driving an older car so that I can have the funds to buy bike parts, books, travel, buy clothes etc. On personality items and othe rthings I am the same, I know things I can tolerate and things that have to be there.

Demanding that others meet or live up to your expectations will only lead to hurt and the demise of relationships and lead to second guessing that something better is out there, while what you have or could have would be great.

I am with wanigas? and Dan that MS's statements are a funny/ironic. I also appreciate maister's input and descriptions of MS in real life. Remember folks we only know eachother by what we choose to show one another.

I won't even get into looks/appearances, and how that can impact a relationship.

From what I know, I think I'd probably kill MS if we had to work together, but I find the issues he chooses to share with us somewhat funny.

Maybe this should be split off into its own thread about now?

Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Personally, the pile-on to generally criticize MS strikes me as "Crabs ripping the arms off of one trying to escape the trap".

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I think this thread has run it's course, and is turning into something other than the intended initial post.....start a new thread if you want to continue discussion....this one is now......

[mod hat]

CLOSED

[/mod hat]
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Closed thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 24
    Last post: 07 Jan 2013, 2:51 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 13 Apr 2011, 6:07 PM
  3. Sprawl
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Oct 2009, 3:35 PM
  4. Obesity comparison