8 80.00%
  • I have entirely different explanation

1 10.00%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Nextel : Godsend or Satan Spawn

Registered
    Aug 2001

Nextel : Godsend or Satan Spawn

I'm sitting in my office hammering out next week's Plan Commission supplements and some Yahoo-Mullet-Head-Wanna-Be-A-Big-Hot-Shot-Developer-But-I-Only-Stick-Build-Eight-Homes-A-Year-Contractor is at our permitting counter 10 yards away yabbering away on his Nextel to his Office Bimbo. I hate those blasted things.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Grrrr ... don't get me started on Nextel.

Just to restate an earlier rant -- I live in a demographic anomaly zone where a large plurality is employed in the construction industry or building trades. It's impossible to see a movie, eat dinner out, or otherwise enjoy a few minutes in a public place without being barraged with bleeps, squaks, and tinny streams of profanity eminiating from Nextel phones. It's all tolerated, too, because prolific use of Direct Connect is as much a part of the culture out here as ... oh, breathing.

There's a reason why the phones are called "West Orange County passports."
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001

Rude Bastards

You may find this hard to believe but I am now actively rude to people that insist on having a cell phone conversation in place where it impacts others. I'm to the point now where I interupt them and ask them to take it outside. I know it is a matter of time until someone kicks my ass for doing so, but I have had my ass kicked before and I lived.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    They're slowly moving our public works and planning departments over to the nextel phones. Our head of the water dept has one that he surfs the net on, which is kind of cool, but mostly I find them annoying. Especially when my husband and his contractor best friend spend our drive home from work pretending they're truckers on a CB. Christ, men can be such children sometimes.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I hate Next-Hell Not only are they rude and loud but they reception on them SUCKS! Seems you dont see/hear many of the in the DC area. Not sure if the coverage sucks or if they are all rushing to get the tiny phones that the yuppies have.

Everyone is on the cell phone here 24/7 but ive not had the "rude" folks in the movies etc here that i had in NC. Just the shock of seeing someone on the darn things on the metro is kinda odd.

*ok ill admit i have a cell and its oh my head from the time i walk out of work till i go to sleep* but im not RUDE

D

NEXTEL SUCKS!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    i dunno...nextels are kinda neat...i love radio gizmos...hate the man not the machine...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Sep 2001
    They can come in handy. When I went to Marti Gras last year I stayed with a friend of a friend who worked for Nextel, and he gave everybody in our group (15 people) one to use for the weekend. I got lost from everybody else several times, so being able to call them on the two-way was great. Plus, it was cool to sound like a big important developer for a weekend.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    doncha love playin' developer?

Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I prefer to hang mine on my belt loop so that everybody knows how cool I am.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    More like ...

BRRRREEP BRRRREEP!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. satan
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 05 Nov 2003, 5:13 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 26 Dec 2002, 1:03 PM
  3. development/satan
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Mar 2002, 12:16 PM