Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Toronto - Cabbagetown Phototour

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

Toronto - Cabbagetown Phototour

Last Saturday, Mrs. Tranplanner and I headed down to the Cabbagetown area of Toronto to take in the annual Cabbagetown Arts Festival. Cabbagetown is a neighbourhood on the eastern edge of downtown Toronto - the name comes from the cabbages which used to proliferate in the front gardens of this mostly Irish immigrant community. Today Cabbagetown is one of the strongest communities in the city, and home to an ecclectic mix of housing styles. Cabbagetown was one of the first neighbourhoods in Toronto to undergo gentrification, and today most of the housing stock has been refurbished.

Cabbagetown is home to Riverdale Farm, site of the original Toronto zoo and now a model farm used primarily to give inner-city children (and adults!) a taste of farm sounds, sights and smells.

Coming up the path from the Don Valley

Do Not Feed the Animals!

Horsies!

The old farmstead

Adjoining Riverdale Farm is Riverdale Park (West), site of the Cabbagetown Arts Festival

Scenes from the festival

Hey, what's this guy doing here? (That's Donk, helping his mommy sell her homemade knitwear - what a sweet boy!)

I guess I didn't take any pictures of individual stalls - there must have been at least a hundred or so artists/crafters flogging everything from pottery to jams to "kinetic" sculpture...

Leaving the Park

Moving into the residential streets. The house on the left is flying the "official" Cabbagetown Flag...

I love the old-school street signage on corner houses

No laneways here...

but the house sure are pretty

Doorway closeups

Traffic doesn't move very fast through Cabbagetown, and most streets have some form of traffic calming. By the way, that's 30 km/h, not mp/h!

Neighbourhood convenience retail has remained viable

Laneway housing - oldschool. Wellesley Cottages:

A typical laneway view. To the east of Wellesley Cottages

Modern Infill:

Gotta have that parking pad!

Looming on the horizon, one of the factors which created modern-day Cabbagetown: The high-rise towers of St. Jamestown, on the other side of Parliament Street. These 1960s towers obliterated a similar neighbourhood to Cabbagetown and militarized the surrounding residents

Closer to Parliament Street (Cabbagetown's retail strip), some old housing stock has been converted to retail use

[Transit Geek]New Toronto Transit Commission Orion 7 bus in service. One butt ugly bus IMHO [/Transit Geek]

The main retail street (Parliament) was closed down as a part of the Cabbagetown Festival...

Hmm...looks like someone's being a good corporate citizen!

Looking northwest at Carlton Street

A Toronto landmark (for boozers anyway) - The Winchester Hotel

Three Kids in the Fountain...

And that concludes our tour for today.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Man, what a dump. No wonder they call Toronto Lake Ontario's "the mistake on the lake"

Seriously, nice pics.

Haven't been to Toronto in a while. Maybe when they build that highspeed mono-rail from Buffalo to Toronto I'll be able to visit
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    very nice pics Tran. Makes me want to go back and visit TO again!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Cabbagetown was one of the places I lived when I lived in TO. My parent's where part of the first generation of "urban pioneers".

One thing I clearly remember, and the store is still there, just moved up three doors is a pet shop with a cursing parrot. He hated drafts and when the door stayed open for too long he let you have it. Wonder if the parrot is still there?

It was fun selling stuff for my mother and the responses that got from the people who visited our booth. Her product is funny hats and sweaters.

There were 1675 or so booths. To learn more about the festival visit. http://www.cabbagetownartsandcrafts.org/

One of the best things about the show was how well the City's bike path network works. I rode 9 km from a friend's place and spent less than 2 blocks on the street. The climb out of the valley was not pleasant, but that is what you get for not riding enough and being out of shape.

For those looking for guides to the City, I am available (will work for beer). But be warned you must put up with stories and references that are going on 20 years old.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Nice pics. Nice 'hood. I was surprised to see that the leaves were still green.

>These 1960s towers obliterated a similar neighbourhood to Cabbagetown and militarized the surrounding residents<

This gave me a mental image of empty nesters running from house to house in camo and balaclavas training for the high-rise apocolypse.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Nice pictures. I must have missed the attractive parts of Toronto when I visited. :/

I love the brick houses! One thing I miss is real brick.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hello from Toronto
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 10 Oct 2008, 3:03 AM
  2. Hello from Toronto
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 26 Sep 2007, 7:51 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 27 Sep 2005, 11:20 PM