Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Walking in Los Angeles

Walking in Los Angeles

The L.A Times has a front page story(9-16-04) on a guy who has a passion for walking the streets of L.A. He's an "urban adventurer" with a lot of time on his hands. His website http://www.walkinginla.com/ is great for those of us who love L.A. and those that may want to lurk at the lifeless city streets. Make sure to browse the 2002 & 2003 archives.

His website introduction
    "This is my contribution to all the useless information on the Internet some maps and photographic byproducts of my obsession with experiencing the greater Los Angeles area up close and personal. "

The L.A. Times story,He Has His Walking Points, is pretty good,

registration is required http://www.latimes.com/news/local/

In addition check out the very interesting Art Deco story:

Miracle Mile Was a Stretch of the Imagination
    Not many thought A.W. Ross could turn farmland into a premier shopping and business center. But he did.
    Last edited by The Irish One; 17 Sep 2004 at 2:50 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Amazing....

Amazing that anyone who walks LA so much hasn't been shot, run over or otherwise dismantled in similar ways.... The guy must be in great shape though, its a huge area.
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Amazing that anyone who walks LA so much hasn't been shot, run over or otherwise dismantled in similar ways.... The guy must be in great shape though, its a huge area.
    Great site! I love browsing through sites like this; street-level images of ordinary neighborhoods.

Could it be that the smog's playing tricks on my eyes
    Or is it a roller skater in some kind of headphone disguise
    Maybe somebody who just ran out of gas
    Making his way back to the pumps the best way he can

Walkin' in LA
    Walkin' in LA, nobody walks in LA
    Walkin' in LA
    Walkin' in LA
    Walkin' in LA
    Walkin' in LA, only a nobody walks in LA

-- Missing Persons, Walking in LA
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Hey. I'm not so strange after all. Long walks through obscure neighborhoods remain one of my favorite things to do. I'm now bringing my camera along, so you all can see something besides Fisherman's Wharf and the downtown skyline.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    WALKABILITY

Someone on one of these forums said Charlotte was walkable, and by some definitions it is. Pedestrians include exercisers (weight in each hand, grim expression, athletic garb mandatory), people with empty gas tanks (grim expression), the homeless (the only ones who look at home), newly-arrived Mexicans (got tired of waiting for the bus; expressionless); teenagers (often on skateboards, usually mad at their soccer-moms for not having taken them in their SUVs); license revokees (see comments under Mexicans). Have I missed anyone?

So Los Angeles is walkable too? I knew it was in the designated walking zones, like the Miracle Mile.

By some definitions, Mt. Everest is walkable, too. These days, several hundred annually walk to its summit.
    Last edited by ablarc; 19 Sep 2004 at 3:46 PM.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ablarc
    WALKABILITY

exercisers (weight in each hand, grim expression, athletic garb mandatory), people with empty gas tanks (grim expression), the homeless (the only ones who look at home), newly-arrived Mexicans (got tired of waiting for the bus; expressionless); teenagers (often on skateboards, usually mad at their soccer-moms for not having taken them in their SUVs); license revokees (see comments under Mexicans). Have I missed anyone?.
    Hey, you've just described to a tee Fairfield's and Vacaville's pedestrian and bicycling population. Add "unemployed parolee" as a descriptor to many of these categories and you've got it nailed (sorry, parolees)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I was a little disappointed with the site... mostly because the photos that are posted don't really give a good sense of what most of those neighbourhoods and areas are like. One of my favourite areas is the Siver Lake /Echo Park area. Echo Park (at least when I lived in L.A.) had a high hispanic population and some gang problems, but the community always drew me in and the landmarks and streetscapes always made me want to walk around and explore more. Silver Lake is very hilly, with some staircases that serve as streets... meaning no vehicular access to houses in L.A. Can you believe it? But the guy doesn't show any of that stuff... so like I said, it's an interesting site... but not a good representation of L.A. or even of the neighbourhoods where that guy walked.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    I was a little disappointed with the site... mostly because the photos that are posted don't really give a good sense of what most of those neighbourhoods and areas are like.
    Ditto. I wish he took more pictures along the way. Either that or he doesn't have time to because somebody is chasing him.

When I went to visit a friend in L.A. we walked to a few places, but man that was pretty boring (scenery) and it took forever to get there. Plus crossing at intersections is like playing Frogger.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    When I went to visit a friend in L.A. we walked to a few places, but man that was pretty boring (scenery) and it took forever to get there. Plus crossing at intersections is like playing Frogger.
    LOL... good analogy. Maybe the next time I go to L.A., I'll pick one of his routes and re-do it just to make a point. But you are right... it does take a long time to get places and for the most part the arterial streets are pretty lackluster (except for the occasional really nice grafitti tag). The good part about L.A. though is that if you get off of the main arterials, side streets are pretty much car-free (traffic wise I mean) and have really good tree canopies, detached sidewalks and a lot of cultural/architectural variation from neighbourhood to neighbourhood.

I do have to hand it to this guy though.. he at least tried some of the nastier little neighbourhoods (Pacoima for example). I know I wouldn't want to walk around in Pacoima if I didn't have to.

     
    Registered
    Jul 2004
    Hey, he has a picture of my street!!!

Click on the Silverlake/Echo Park section (last one) and look at Fargo street. That house he shows is across the street from my house and you can actually see my driveway in the picture from the top of the street (second one on the left)

Fargo is the steepest street in California...even beats the steepest street in San Francisco by about .2 degrees. The pictures don't even do it justice. It is CRAZY steep.

Very cool. It really is a wonderful neighborhood. Amazing views, eclectic architecture and really great people. Thanks for the link.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    This is my favorite quote,

"Like many cities, Alhambra has a soulless "new" downtown designed with the hope of luring yuppies away from the malls."

It just goes to show you that you really can't win.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by H
    This is my favorite quote,

"Like many cities, Alhambra has a soulless "new" downtown designed with the hope of luring yuppies away from the malls."

It just goes to show you that you really can't win.
    He forgets that "soul" takes time. And, how soulful are the malls?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    If someone here has not discoverred it, check out www.urbanphoto.net. The site owners do lengthy walks all the time. Chris mostly does Montreal (he is a college student at McGIll) and the other site editors post interesting news stories from NYT and photos from elsewhere. If you like this kind of stuff, Chris and most of them have a great eye (a better eye, to be honest).

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    If someone here has not discoverred it, check out www.urbanphoto.net.
    Seconded. We can learn a lot from them. The photography and commentary are excellent. Chris does a fantastic job at candid images of people, something I'm still a bit shy about. It's not just another skyscraper site.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Walking about; where have you been?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 13 Jun 2013, 1:49 PM
  2. Walking survey
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 04 Jan 2010, 12:28 PM
  3. Dangerous Walking
    Friday Afternoon Club