Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Running afoul of ethics?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Running afoul of ethics?

Last week I was directed and completed a proposed amendment to our code that is intended to prohibit the placement of a certain land use in a specific portion of a barrier island. While writing it, I decided to include the entire island foreseeing that due to the political art of compromise, I’ll probably end up with what I really want: that original specific portion. You know how it goes: ask for more then “settle” for what you really want. Give a little to get a little. I ran the strategy past my supervisor and we both thought it was good idea. Then I got to thinking…

Does the Throbbing Brian see any ethical problems with this tactic?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Nope. Sounds like a sound plan. And smart politics.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Yeah, I used the same tactic to get my dad to buy me a TransAm in '82.... hehehehe....

You are doing the same thing the developers do every day!

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Sounds like a good plan to me. No ethical problems.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Yeah, I used the same tactic to get my dad to buy me a TransAm in '82.... hehehehe....
    Off-topic:
    AKA, Drama Queen.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I guess the only tough part would be if you happen to get all that you are asking for... Would that be something that you would be okay with?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by CJC View post
    I guess the only tough part would be if you happen to get all that you are asking for... Would that be something that you would be okay with?
    That is the crux of this question, does the reccomended solution apply equally and equitably to all effected parties and is it "good planning". If is not "good planning" then it is unethical.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    That is the crux of this question, does the reccomended solution apply equally and equitably to all effected parties and is it "good planning". If is not "good planning" then it is unethical.
    Sorry, had to mention... 'bad planning' does not equate into 'unethical'. If that were the case, then we would have more unethical planners than just bad planners...or something like that.
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    sounds like another day at work for me!

I wish I knew ZG in 82 because I wanted a bitchin' Camaro then but got a 78 Rabbit

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Flying Monkeys View post
    Sorry, had to mention... 'bad planning' does not equate into 'unethical'. If that were the case, then we would have more unethical planners than just bad planners...or something like that.
    i agree, but knowingly and purposefully imposing a planning solution that you believe as a professional is inappropriate for an area is unethical.

The opposite of good planning is not bad planning, but rather planning that is done without adequate forethought and consideration for site conditions and regulations. Bad planning can occur, even with these things and if done in an appropriate manner that follows generally accepted processes and principles is not unethical, just bad.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2004

Well.....

This sounds a lot like someone on the political side trying to keep "someone" from developing some use in a specific area. If this is the case, it is a wise decision to broaden the area in which this use will not be allowed, so as not to be seen as trying to exclude an individual. For instance, if there is only one place in that portion of the barrier island suitable for that "use," and you go and exclude that one use from that specific area......that could be seen as singling out someone....ah....er.....a political enemy maybe?? As long as there is some other part of the county/city in which the use can be conducted (the more sites the better)....no problem. It would help to know what the use is.....boobie bar? tattoo shop? pawn shop? Is your barrier island included in an overlay zone?
    Skilled Adoxographer
    I have two emotions....Silence and Rage

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I guess my question is, and like Donk has noted - are you making the recommendation because there is some justification and planning rationale to support the recommendation, or is your only motive the "bargaining"?

If it is just the bargaining component and there is no justification, it may call into question the whole decision making process, and how ethical your department is and make things worse in the end.
    "your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Running government like a business
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 56
    Last post: 02 Aug 2012, 1:37 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 07 Aug 2009, 11:18 AM
  3. Running a planning department
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 21