Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 28 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Wine Thread

Registered
    Nov 2002

The NEVERENDING Wine Thread

This one's for you RJ

This is the chance for Cyburban wine drinkers, aficionados and booze hounds alike, to discus wine. Tell us about your favorites, relay the news of a good wine find or just tell wine related stories. This is our new place in the urban web for all things relating to the fruit of the vine. That is, if the mods think it’s appropriate.

AIB:
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake
    This trend, too, will pass, IMHO. Cabernet and chardonnay only for this planner (but I never rule out a spicy sauvignon blanc).
    And all of you stay safe, but keep us posted (so that we may post pad )
    To tell you the truth it's a cabernet-siraz blend.Traditionally we have consumed merlots, but we’ve found this to be a good bit smoother without tasting too grapey and sweet. As far as chardonnays are concerned, they're usually either a little too sweet or buttery for my taste. That’s why I usually prefer a pinot when it comes to the whites.

Now, I’m no wine expert by any means. I just drink what I think taste good. That’s why the cab-shiraz in question is made by Yellowtail. I realize that they are probably the Budweiser of Australian wines but they have been consistently adequate to good and for usually less than $10 a bottle, they can’t be beat. I wonder what kind of rep they have n their native land? REM or any other Aussie care to comment?
    Last edited by biscuit; 17 Sep 2004 at 10:46 PM. Reason: the better the wine, the worse the grammer

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I was a huge hit when I took this wine for dinner.

Who'd a thunk that there would be a market for kosher wine in Newfoundland?

http://www.rodrigueswinery.com

I like the taste of wine, but have not yet developed enough of a palette to be able to effectively order it or explain it. I just know I like drier whites. Most embarrassing experience ever was on a date and I was given the wine list and my brain froze (5 minutes) until I was asked if I'd prefer a beer.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    This one's for you RJ....I just drink what I think taste good.
    You hit the nail on the head, biscuit ...drink what you like. As your taste's mature (poor term, sorry), so will your selection of types. In fact, I've had Greg Norman's cab-shiraz and thought it was a wonderful wine in its price category. I could go on with my favorites, but it would bore you all to tears (as I sit here suckign on a Michelob as the bbq warms up). For instance, tonignt I'll be drinking a Liberty School, 2001, cabernat second label from another major winery (paid about $12 for it here in Florida). I've liked the winery for a long time and I trust their product.

Again, drink what you like and don't fall into trends and snob appeal.

Registered
    Oct 2001

This box of wine pictured above is my friend and special helper. And I never touch a drop...wink wink nudge nudge...know what I mean...know what I mean...

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'm not too discerning, just like a dry white or red. But I do not get the "zinfandel" thing; arf. My sister-in-law won't drink anything else. Sometimes in a restaurant I'll ask for the "house white" and they bring that dang zinfandel. It's usually very raw tasting. Well, other than that, I don't have a clue about wines.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Ah...fall is approaching...and time to start back with red wine....I love a good bottle of wine....

favorite standard:

Rosemont Diamond Label Shiraz

other good ones of late
    Rosemont Grenache Shiraz or Merlot
    Pepperwood Merlot
    Galo Sanoma Reserve Cabernet
    Sonoma Valley "Lodi" Cabernet.... same name as my crazy foster dog
    Frank Copola Red Zinfandel
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I'm not too discerning, just like a dry white or red. But I do not get the "zinfandel" thing; arf. My sister-in-law won't drink anything else. Sometimes in a restaurant I'll ask for the "house white" and they bring that dang zinfandel. It's usually very raw tasting. Well, other than that, I don't have a clue about wines.
    Zinfändel is the German colloquial for cat piss in a glass.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo

pink zinfandel is the worst.....
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Feb 2003

the southern cone

I am a big fan of the Chilean and Argentine wines. They are on the less expense side, but can be very high in quality and taste.

Concho y Toro: Casillero del Diablo is a good one.

The Gato wines are not so high in quality, but even lower in price, so over all not a bad buy.

From the other side, the Mendoza Valley produces quality ‘vino’, also for cheap.

What do you know about the Chilean wines, SkeL? I might be a silly gringo, but cheap prices, and good quality so I am sold

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Zing... Good one!
    In my book white zinfandel equals blech. Can’t stand it… Way too sweet for me. Not that there aren’t any good white zins out there, but it’s just not for me. On the same note, I also don’t like ports and other dessert wins.

I really like this new wine I found. Relatively inexpensive and a wide variety of flavors are available. My favorite is Banana Red. I think its called MD 20/20.

I don't like many white wines. I have had some Chardonnays that are ok and I like Muscato in the summer, but I tend to gravitate towards reds. I really like Merlot, Cabrnet, Shiraz, and Zinfindels, like Renwood (real robust red zin, not white cat piss zin). 7 deadly Zins is also great. When I want inexpensive yet good wine I buy Yellow Tail. A lot of times I will just look at the ratings and reviews that the wine shop pastes next to the bottle.

Two Buck Chuck is also decent wine when you just want some regular old wine with dinner.

I love Port wine too. My favorite is Clocktower, which is good because it is inexpensive when compared with some of the other ports.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    so very wrong....I suggest you try a Sausal or Rosemblum zin....I should have included them on my list...i'm off to bed

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Hardly an expert, but here are some I've enjoyed over the years living out here in Northern California

Rochiolli (sp?)-a small, cult winery in the Russian River/Dry Creek area of Sonoma County produces an incredible Pinot Noir that is strong, peppery, and probably my favorite.

Atlas Peak-Sangiovese-very nice.

My newest favorite, although its too expensive to be anything but a special occasion wine: Clayton (Lodi) Old Vine Petite Syrah 1999. Amazing stuff. Absolutely inky in color, and THICK in flavor and character.

Just tonight, I enjoyed a new one at a big dinner we had: Niebaum-Coppola Claret (a cab mix): awesome, rich flavor. Too bad the meal was just "meh"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    On port, I like it, but never have the occasion to drink it. When i've been out for dinner it seems pretentious to order it.

As with all things alcoholic, I have a funny story about port. I was at the World Cup Mountain Bike Race in Quebec, I was at a VIP function sponsored by the Liquor Commission. There were bottles of port being served, somehow my table got a few and started drinking it out of bordeaux glasses. I probably drank a bottle and a half my elf. I go up to get another bottle and to find out what we are drinking, the sever drops the bomb that the stuff we were drinking like swill were actually a $80-$125 bottles of port. Fortunately it was an open bar. We had killed 5 or 6 bottles at our table. We were soon cut off.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    ...Rochiolli (sp?)-a small, cult winery in the Russian River/Dry Creek area of Sonoma County produces an incredible Pinot Noir that is strong, peppery, and probably my favorite.....
    Yes, good call. And their neighbor, Hop Kiln is also worthy of attention. Additionally, Dry Creek Vineyards makes some of my favorites.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    If you get a chance, try Tabor Hill. It is from Benton Harbor Michigan, and it was served at the White House during the Bush Sr. administration.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by H
    I am a big fan of the Chilean and Argentine wines. They are on the less expense side, but can be very high in quality and taste.

Concho y Toro: Casillero del Diablo is a good one.

The Gato wines are not so high in quality, but even lower in price, so over all not a bad buy.

From the other side, the Mendoza Valley produces quality ‘vino’, also for cheap.

What do you know about the Chilean wines, SkeL? I might be a silly gringo, but cheap prices, and good quality so I am sold
    God forbid! sh*t I didn't even know we exported that junk labeled as "Gato" yuck!
    I don't know about all the vinyards that export but if you want a good one (but not cheap) I'd say you try to get a Montes Alpha. And if you want decent and cheap go for Ventisquero, now I don't know if those get to your regular wine shop But those are the ones I know.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    If you get a chance, try Tabor Hill. It is from Benton Harbor Michigan, and it was served at the White House during the Bush Sr. administration.
    Oh pleeeease. Leave the serious wine making to the left coast and what ever you make in Michigan to, well, Michigan. (difficult to type with a glass of Kendall Jackson chardonnay in your hand)
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Yes, good call. And their neighbor, Hop Kiln is also worthy of attention. Additionally, Dry Creek Vineyards makes some of my favorites.
    Too bad I've only seen it on one restaurant menu (a place that's closed-Square One near McArthur Park)

Its great cycling country. Maybe I need to make a trip up there this fall and combine three great things (cycling, Rochiolli, and a great French bakery in Healdsburgh )

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    ....Its great cycling country. Maybe I need to make a trip up there this fall and combine three great things (cycling, Rochiolli, and a great French bakery in Healdsburgh )
    So many to chose from, so little time....

http://www.wineroad.com/wineries/def...6.x=13&I16.y=4

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    God forbid! sh*t I didn't even know we exported that junk labeled as "Gato" yuck!
    I don't know about all the vinyards that export but if you want a good one (but not cheap) I'd say you try to get a Montes Alpha. And if you want decent and cheap go for Ventisquero, now I don't know if those get to your regular wine shop But those are the ones I know.

Yeah, I knew Gato was low on quality, but didnt think it was thought of as that low. I mainly buy it becasue it is cheap. real cheap. and honestly, I like it.

it was even a chilean lady who introduced me to it. It was was she drank. :-P

I will try the others you mention. what is your opinion of the Concho y Toro?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm inspired, so it's off to Publix on a mission to search, replace, and destroy before football starts. Who's with me?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'm wondering why, at least in the US, regional wines don't get as much attention as those from California's Napa Valley.There are some excellent wines that originate in Northeast Ohio, the Finger Lakes region, and the Niagara region in Ontario. I know the thought of a fine Ohio wine might resonate the same as Soviet cigarettes, but still, it's damn hard to find regionals from other parts of the country.

You can find Bully Hill at the Liquor Supermarket in Boulder, though.

A little known story: the label for Love Goat changes every year. If you save ten years of labels, and flip them like a paper movie book, you'll find that the goat's tongue flaps back and forth.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    I'm wondering why, at least in the US, regional wines don't get as much attention as those from California's Napa Valley........
    Because they suck?

Registered
    Aug 2001

This box of wine pictured above is my friend and special helper. And I never touch a drop...wink wink nudge nudge...know what I mean...know what I mean...
    I wouldn't use it to flush the toilet during a power outage.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 28 1 2 11 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 9:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 8:40 PM