Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Wine Thread

Registered
    Aug 2004

Need advice on wine for the Hubby

My hubby prefers reds, and I can't drink them. Actually, I can drink one glass of red on a full stomach and be ok, but otherwise I get migraines.

I'd like to branch out and buy some reds for hubby, and need some advice. I'm looking for specific wines to try, preferably under $20 a bottle. Even better if it's under $15.
    Here's what I know about his preferences:

1) prefers Australian, but will try others
    2) Shiraz is the clear fave, but he also likes Cabs
    3) I know he likes Little Penguin, Rosemont, Lindberg (I think that's the name) and will occassionally come home with Yellow Tail

What are your suggestions, and why do you recommend it?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Salmissra; 04 Mar 2008 at 5:09 PM.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Sal -

my top 10 favorite reds in no particular order, all in the 10-12 buck range
    1. Louis Jadot Beaujolais
    2. Fat Bastard Shiraz
    3. Gnarly Head anything
    4. Ravenswood Lodi or Zin
    5. Clos du Bois Cabernet
    6. Camelot anything
    7. Concannon anything
    8. Villa Marie anything
    9. Husch anything
    10. Smoking Loon

on the cheap - Barefoot is fine, I get it alot, about 6 bucks a bottle - Red Truck is good too, Daily Red isn't bad

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    My hubby prefers reds, and I can't drink them....
    I'd like to branch out and buy some reds for hubby, and need some advice. I'm looking for specific wines to try, preferably under $20 a bottle. Even better if it's under $15.
    Here's what I know about his preferences:

1) prefers Australian, but will try others
    2) Shiraz is the clear fave, but he also likes Cabs
    3) I know he likes Little Penguin, Rosemont, Lindberg (I think that's the name) and will occassionally come home with Yellow Tail

What are your suggestions, and why do you recommend it?

Thanks in advance!

Try anything from R Winery. They have a great shiraz...can't think of the name off hand, but they are a winery in Southern Australia that makes some great stuff. Usually like $13-$18 depending on the store. It is strong in cherry, oak, and spice. The three things that equate to a good shiraz in my book.

Also if you are looking at Cabs the world is much bigger. For the cheap end Columbia Crest isn't a bad buy ($12) or you can move up a bit and try Kiona or anything made in Walla Walla Valley. You can get up in price, but most are reasonable at maybe $20 a bottle.

Happy drinking
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    From UPI (entire article quoted here, because it's short, and could disappear:

Sexuality can be determined by wine choice

Published: April 3, 2008 at 10:20 AM

ROME, April 3 (UPI) -- An Italian winemaker and philosopher has created three wines he claims can help a person identify his or her true sexuality or ambiguity.

This week, Franco D'Eusanio, who operates an organic vineyard in the Abruzzo region, introduced the "masculine" red wine 'Is,' the feminine white wine 'Ea' and the rose 'Id', for those with uncertain or ambiguous inclinations. Each comes with a psychological test and a questionnaire on sexual behavior, the ANSA news agency reported.

He claims the wine and material will help consumers "look within themselves and discover their true sexual identity," the report said.

D'Eusanio said he's convinced that everyone is not purely male or female.

"Taking this into account, we have sought to link the right taste to the right personality, starting with the choice of grapes used in the wine," he said.

His works are on display at Italy's most important wine trade fair, Vinitaly, which opened in Verona Wednesday and runs through Monday, the report said.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    How does the Throbbing Brain buy bulk wine? Do you buy online or by the case at your favorite local wine shop? Do you buy from specific wineries, or just what is on sale?

I am currently trying to build my cellar (I am at about 75 bottles, looking to get up to around 500-1000 at some point in the next 5 years). I am planning the design for my new cellar as well as building my wine collection. I will post the design in a month or two once it is finalized...

Any ways to get good wine in bulk (other than auctions, as I have found that to be a bit too pricey for me) or your favorite wine to drink in bulk (i.e. regularly). I am currently on a Gnarled Head Cabernet binge, and I have found it in bulk for about $9/bottle, which I think it good...any other secrets or favs would be appreciated!

ps. we need a wine bottle smiley.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It has been a while, but I would buy directly from the vineyard. Either I would make the ourchase while in California, or pick up contact information and buy it when I got home.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    ....[snip]....I am currently trying to build my cellar (I am at about 75 bottles, looking to get up to around 500-1000 at some point in the next 5 years). I am planning the design for my new cellar as well as building my wine collection. ....[snip]....
    Can I come and live with you when the cellar is complete and fully stocked?

I'm worried about the way you use the term "bulk." You don't really mean bulk wines, do you?

--------------

Over the years, I've been on up to 5 pre-release winery programs. Currently, I'm only on one due to budget constraints--that may expand. Find a winery you like and get on their release program. You typically get a % off and an additional % off if you order more. I get a shipment of reds quarterly from one of my favorite wineries.

I don't want to push any specific winery, so you can PM me for my favorites.

I buy both retail and on-line.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    No wine is truly bulk in my eyes. I drink them all. By bulk I just mean over a case at a time. I am not insinuating quality, just number. I currently have some quality older to keep over time, but am looking to buy maybe 2-4 cases of some wine that is drinkable within the next year. I have purchased from vineyards before and had it shipped with success. I was a bit worried about large retailer wine shops, just wondering if anyone had good experiences and if they knew of any deals.

Thanks all!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Did as much to bring California wines up as Ernest Gallo did to bring them down. RJ, I agree. RIP
    As much shame as E & J brought to the California industry, they also made contributions. The second generation Gallos in particular.

Gina Gallo. The female Indiana Jones?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gina gallo.jpg  

Registered
    Feb 2007

"Mmmmm...wine"

A few weeks ago, we went back to CNY to deliver some stuff and we bought a case of NYS wine. Its the first time I ever bought a case of wine ...and it was retail. We bought all Fingerlakes wines, primarily Swedish Hill and Lucas Vineyards but a Hazlet too. Unfortunaley, the Kid's Mom doesn't drink red wines so we ended up with mostly white and blush/pink.

We can't get anything other than CA or imported wines here and we are on the East Coast!

Two down right now......(may have to go back)

DLK
    "There are people in every time and every land who want to stop history in its tracks. They fear the future, mistrust the present and invoke the security of a comfortable past which, in fact, never existed." RFK

Registered
    Jan 2005
    RIP Robert Mondavi..... I don't think enough can be said about his influence on California wine....

Nevermind... didn't notice the Death Pool page....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I was sadly disappointed yhis weekend when I opened a bottle of Geysler Riesling Beernauslese. Perhaps it was because this is from a grape grown in the Rhine, whereas the best Reislings come from Mosel-Saar-Ruhr. Or perhaps it was because I did not listen to the right music, as this article suggests:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7400109.stm

Ahh... to be sipping a fine Merlot while listeneing to Marvin Gaye. That's a sound that tastes good.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

Especially for RJ

Wal-Mart announced that sometime in 2008 it will begin offering customers a new discount item: Wal-Mart's own brand of wine. The world's largest retail chain is rumored to be teaming up with Ernest & Julio Gallo Winery of California to produce the spirits at an affordable price - in the $2 to $5 range.

Wine connoisseurs may not be inclined to put a bottle of the Wal- Mart brand into their shopping carts, but, 'There is a market for inexpensive wine,' said Kathy Micken, professor of marketing at the University of Arkansas, Bentonville. 'However, branding will be very important.'

Customer surveys were conducted to determine the most attractive name for the Wal-Mart wine brand. The top surveyed names in order of popularity were:

10. Chateau Traileur Parc

9. White Trashfindel

8. Big Red Gulp

7. World Championship Riesling

6. NASCARbernet

5. Chef Boyardeaux

4. Peanut Noir

3. I Can't Believe it's not Vinegar

2. Grape Expectations

1. Nasti Spumante

The beauty of Wal-Mart wine is that it can be served with either white meat (Possum) or red meat (Squirrel).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Warning to wine buyers in Florida....do not but the wine from the St. Sebastian winery outside St. Augustine. Publix has been carrying this wine and I thought I would try it...YUCK! Disgusting! Tasted like the worst Boon Farm wine....at $9 dollars a bottle! This one is a must miss......
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    Nov 2005
    My entire office has been rolling in laughter over this post. I had to share it with everyone. Thanks for the chuckle!

Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Customer surveys were conducted to determine the most attractive name for the Wal-Mart wine brand. The top surveyed names in order of popularity were:

10. Chateau Traileur Parc

9. White Trashfindel

8. Big Red Gulp

7. World Championship Riesling

6. NASCARbernet

5. Chef Boyardeaux

4. Peanut Noir

3. I Can't Believe it's not Vinegar

2. Grape Expectations

1. Nasti Spumante
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Is that Nasti Spumante from the Slick Willie Vineyard in Hope, AR? I've heard it leaves a permanent stain on blue dresses.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ZG and I had a bottle of the Newman's Own 2006 cabernet sauvignon with grilled rib eyes tonight. The wine was just ok. Not bad but nothing to really write home about. There are better deals out there.

I would avoid it at this price.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    ZG and I had a bottle of the Newman's Own 2006 cabernet sauvignon with grilled rib eyes tonight. The wine was just ok. Not bad but nothing to really write home about. There are better deals out there.

I would avoid it at this price.
    Yeah but Paul Newman's still hot (for a really old guy...)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ZG and I drank a bottle or "Pillar Box Red" this evening with a (forgettable) pasta and beef main course.

The wine is an Australian blend of shriraz, cabernet, and merlot grapes.

In our view, worthy of attention given its price (about $10 for a 0.75 liter bottle). Tip of the hat to down under for this entry into the wine market.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I've been wondering this for awhile: Are New York State produced wines availiable outside of the state? Western and Central NY have numerous wineries and Buffalo area liquor stores would always have a decent selection of locally produced wines. Out of curiosity I checked out the selection at a large liquor store here in Chicago and couldn't find any. Granted Chicago is a bit of a ways away from NY but its alot closer than just about anything in the store (wine wise). Any reason for this? I'd imagine it has to do with the size of the winery, not quality. Wine snobs feel free to defend the supremacy of west coast wines.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Not withstanding Carolyn Mark's comments about men who drink chardonnay, I just found a great one. 20 Bees 2006 Unoaked chardonnay. It is an inexpensive VQA wine, which means the grapes are grown in Ontario and it is cellared in Ontario.

The only issue I have with it is that it contains sulphites, which i know will play havoc with my sinuses later tonight.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    Granted Chicago is a bit of a ways away from NY but its alot closer than just about anything in the store (wine wise). Any reason for this? I'd imagine it has to do with the size of the winery, not quality. Wine snobs feel free to defend the supremacy of west coast wines.
    I think the major reason for the lack of wines outside of California wines has to do with the way third party vendors ship. The wine world is backwards in terms of who can ship what where. I don't think I have ever actually bought a NY wine in a store (I am somewhat close to the finger lakes, so I try to go once a year).

I don't think California wines are better, they are just more known. They also have the advantage of being owned by a large consolidation brand. This makes marketing, distribution, and availability that much easier. I think there some amazing wines from NC, NY, Virginia, Ohio, and even fruit wines from Maine, VT, and NH. It really depends on your palette and what you are drinking it with. Big California Cabernets don't do it for everyone. If you love oak it might. But many like more subtle nuances that can be found in wines from other places.

Just my 2 cents.

----

I am also starting my second batch of homemade wine. The first was an interesting experiment. It was a cabernet sauvignon which was okay. I would not give it to friends, but it is a great second bottle wine, if you know what I mean.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I like the unoaked chardonnays too!

The best wine I've had recently was from Spain, Alicante label ~ something special about the vines, originanl to the region and survived some pest that wiped out the rest. Way out of my sphere. I stick to bottles $30 and under!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    What in holy hell is white merlot and what should I eat with it?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jan 2005
    White merlot is made from the same grapes as red merlot. The big difference is that it is fermented without contact from the skins. Not to get to technical, but when fermented almost all wine would be white if there wasn't some contact with the skins. Merlot is a Vitis Vinifera grape and I believe that all of this species would be white if there weren't any contact.

As for pairings I like to drink White Merlot with appetizers, but it is good with BBQ. I think that it is a bit lighter than say a "traditional" white. Fish works well still though. Stuart Cellars has a pretty decent one if I remember correctly. Not a huge fan, but I have a couple in the cellar at home.

+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 10:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 9:40 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread