Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Wine Thread

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Yellow Tail - what specificly? Their Shiraz is pretty good - according to my red wine drinking Hubby - but their whites are a bit blah.
    I think we have one Shiraz. Maybe a Cabernet. And some others. I'm not exactly sure.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

I had a bottle of Yellow Tail Shiraz "Reserve" at a fine hotel in El Paso last weekend, cost $27.00................same wine at the local 7-11................$6.99.............but no "Reserve" on it.............does that make it better? It was pretty good..............

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by johnelsden View post
    I had a bottle of Yellow Tail Shiraz "Reserve" at a fine hotel in El Paso last weekend, cost $27.00................same wine at the local 7-11................$6.99.............but no "Reserve" on it.............does that make it better? It was pretty good..............
    Yes, a bit. I would guess you had the 2005/2006/2007 Reserve, which would retail around $14. The reserve is the better brand by Yellow Tail which picks its grapes more carefully. Yellow Tail is known for being a better "mass" brand, so I would imagine the gap isn't all that big. I have not tried the Shiraz reserve though, only the Merlot reserve, which was better than the merlot.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Penfolds shiraz-cabernet. One of my favorite reds right now... and reasonable too (unless you buy it in Aspen...)

My wife is loving the Smoking Loon whites, particularly the Sauvignon Blanc.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2005
    (unless you buy it in Aspen...)
    Aspen...

Oh, I don't know, Lloyd. The French are assholes.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Aspen...

Oh, I don't know, Lloyd. The French are assholes.
    Yeah, I don't know about buying wine there...

after all it is only the beer that flows like wine...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    .....yes synthetic corks will age a wine MUCH faster as they have been shown to allow more oxygen into the bottle over time than natural cork.....
    How did I miss this comment? I've always been taught that oxygen is the mortal enemy of wine in the bottle. Here's a test you can perform at home: open a bottle, pour a glass, re-cork the bottle, and leave the poured glass of wine uncovered for 24-hours on your counter. The next day, pour a second glass for the bottle. Taste the two and compare. You be the judge. I rest my case.

Unless convinced otherwise by reputable sources, I will defer to the winery owners and wine makers that I have spoken to concerning this topic. Again, oxygen is the mortal enemy of wine.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    How did I miss this comment? I've always been taught that oxygen is the mortal enemy of wine in the bottle. Here's a test you can perform at home: open a bottle, pour a glass, re-cork the bottle, and leave the poured glass of wine uncovered for 24-hours on your counter. The next day, pour a second glass for the bottle. Taste the two and compare. You be the judge. I rest my case.

Unless convinced otherwise by reputable sources, I will defer to the winery owners and wine makers that I have spoken to concerning this topic. Again, oxygen is the mortal enemy of wine.
    Yes, my point exactly. I am not disagreeing with you on that. Oxygen causes the wine to age. Temperature causes the wine to age. UV light causes the wine to age. Wine loss, caused by faulty corks and humidity cause a wine to age. If you put a bottle of wine in a vacuum at 55 degrees, the wine would probably taste similar to what it does today in 10 years. I do not know any wine makers or wine owners who have built themselves a vacuum. Why is this? (Other than the pure inability and cost of doing it....)

Aging is what makes the wine more complex. Oxygen, temperature, humidity are part of that equation.

While synthetic corks may help a wine not evaporate, it does nothing to stop oxydation. It has been shown that synthetic corks actually let in MORE oxygen than natural corks over time.

Aging is not for every wine. But for those wines that have the right stuff, I would bottle them with a natural cork. Again, for the short term, I have no issues with synthetic or screwcap. There are plenty of good wines with each enclosure. But for aging, natural cork is best.

What I said was that if you want to keep a bottle of wine longer use a natural cork. Maiser asked if a wine would get more complex with a synthetic cork. My answer still stands and is supported by most enologists. The wine will age faster- go bad faster- and not last as long with a synthetic cork. Therefore the wine will not have the opportunity to get more complex. Sure it might get more complex than it was originally, but studies have shown that synthetic corks are not as good at aging (and therefore making wine more complex) than natural corks.

I rest my case

Also a good read by some scientist guy, about aging wine.
    Here

I am not sure why you thought I didn't agree with you that oxygen is bad for wine? I just was comparing the synthetic cork to the natural cork.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Nov 2008
    Blog entries

I just bought two great bottles --

I usually buy wine by picking out labels I like...it's a fun and random way to enjoy the fruit of the vine...

I just bought a bottle of chardonnay that had a big chicken on it -- and it was great stuff.

Also bought a bottle of pinot grigio (sp?) that had three moose on it and they were wearing sunglasses -- it too was a great bottle of wine...
    "Sometimes you have to get medieval with it...hammer, sparks, sweat, the whole nine yards...so don't forget your asbestos suit."
    Aphorisms on Public Hearings, Planning Guild Handbook (2001).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    AnvilP, please tell me you're pulling our legs.

Last night, we drank a 2005, petite sirah, old vine, Lodi (CA) by Trinitas. I know, Lodi is not the hot bed where you'd expect some good wines. But it wasn't bad. I recommend it.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by AnvilPartners View post
    I
    Also bought a bottle of pinot grigio (sp?) that had three moose on it and they were wearing sunglasses -- it too was a great bottle of wine...
    Three Blind Moose: http://www.3blindmoose.com/wine/index.asp
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2008
    Blog entries

I wasn't kidding!

find the chicken here -- good stuff

http://antiwinesnob.com/2008/10/07/r...ooster-merlot/

RES
    "Sometimes you have to get medieval with it...hammer, sparks, sweat, the whole nine yards...so don't forget your asbestos suit."

Registered
    Nov 2008
    Blog entries

saw another cool label at the grocery store last night

I think I'm going to try it...it's a chardonnay and has 5 surfboards on the beach -- looks cool...it'd go well with the Big Chicken chardonnay label and the 3 Moose label.

I saw a cool label a while back I've been looking for again...it was called Cardinal Zen...and it had a cool cartoon of a catholic cardinal, done in the style that the cartoonist did Bill The Cat in Opus...

It's hard to find cool wine lables AND good wine under $9 a bottle, but that's been my challenge! It's turning into a fun hobby...

By the way, I lived just south of Lodi a couple of years ago, back when they arrested that terrorist cell there...Big news in Stockton...anyway, I lived really close to te Delicatto winery, they process grapes for some 30 vintners there...

RES

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Try a Malbec....very nice

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Ravenswood makes a good Lodi - hard to find up here, i had it at their vineyard a few years ago...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Ravenswood makes a good Lodi - hard to find up here, i had it at their vineyard a few years ago...
    Sweetie, you're going to have to do a little better than that. Here, take my hand and walk this way: see the map? Lodi is a city in the San Joaquin Valley of California and not a wine varietal. I'm assuming you left out the term "zinfandel." If that's the case, I agree. Ravenswood produces some good "zinfandels" that happen to be made in Lodi.

For your edification:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lodi,_California
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Sep 2001
    for RJ, I think I'll be cracking a bottle of rare duckhorn I've been saving in the next few days. 2004 rector creek block 8.

I only hope it has not gone bad. I have been pretty careful about storing it since I got it on my trip to napa.

I'll let you khow it is, I'll probably compare it to a 2004 duckhorn merlot to see if their is a difference in flavour.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    donk - I'm assuming the Rector Creek is also a merlot. As a 2004, the wine should not have experienced any deterioration provided there were no extremes in temperatures over a short period of time and the wine stayed on the cork.

I'm interested to hear your review as I have not tasted that wine.

EDIT: I received a shipment from Dry Creek Vineyard and The Bottle Barn today. Two bottles of red from each. On-line reviews look good especially the zins from Dry Creek.

EDIT 2: You wine buyers in San Francisco: there is a great retailer south of Market. I can't remember its name. It's either on Harrison or Mission. I forget. Up near the Financial District. I helped pay their electric bills for awhile. Best selection and prices ever.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 20 Feb 2009 at 9:03 PM. Reason: shipment
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Nov 2008
    Blog entries

Cardinal Zin

Registered
    Sep 2001
    AnvilPartners, if this is the wine with the label done by ralph steadman, I would be willing to send you some cash to mail me the empty bottle if the label is in good shape.

RJ, sorry to raise your hopes, it looks like the bottle is going back into storage.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001

Cardinal Zin

I have a big problem with this one. Not the wine, but Randall Grahm and Bonny Doon Vineyards. Don't get me started, because it's a long and irritating story that didn't make the media.

donk, I'll check the cellar and see if I have one left. If so, I'll send you the (empty) bottle with the label intact.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 21 Feb 2009 at 10:28 AM. Reason: it's big
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Sep 2001

donk, I'll check the cellar and see if I have one left. If so, I'll send you the (empty) bottle with the label intact.
    Thanks, if you have the shirah it would also be appreciated.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sorry donk, none of that in our cellar.

Tonight we're drinking a 2006 Mirassou, riesling out of Monterey County. Went well with the home-cooked Chinese meal. Yummy.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Sorry donk, none of that in our cellar.

Tonight we're drinking a 2006 Mirassou, riesling out of Monterey County. Went well with the home-cooked Chinese meal. Yummy.
    Thanks for looking, if you ever do, let me know.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Panhandle Art

It was a slow day this afternoon on the panhandle. I finally finished the cork trivet. It only took me two years. What's the rush? (Actually, it takes lots of corks to finish these things. It's like a jigsaw puzzle that you make-up as you go along--if that makes any sense.)

If not art, this could also be described as "adaptive re-use".

Annoyingly insensitive

+ Reply to thread
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 9:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 8:40 PM