Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Wine Thread

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I cannot emphasize enough how worth hunting down this bottle is. If you have never tried a mourvedre, this is a great start.
    I missed this the first time around (Curtis Mourvedre), but I completely agree! We bought some to take home as well and had it for a special occasion... although now I forget what that occasion was...

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Last night a 2001, Beaulieu Vineyard, Georges De Latour, cabernet sauvignon. A spectacular wine. The tag says I spent about $55 on that one years ago. Worth every penny.

Alas, the corks on my older wines don't seem to be doing well. We had to filter this one because I broke the cork in the bottle. I blame the cross-country trip for that issue.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I opened a bottle of 2000 Peter Lehmann Shiraz the other night. Excellent. Very well balanced with rich dark cherry and plum. I did a little search online and see it is still available from some sellers/cellars at about $90 per bottle. With most of my collection pre-dating 2004, I wonder how much of a nest egg I have in wine.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Bonny Doon

Vintner Randall Grahm, the owner and operator of Bonny Doon vinyard, is in Toledo today for a wine-tasting event. His flagship wine is Le Cagare Volant. Is this really a good wine?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We had a second bottle of 2008 Benzier Family, cabernet sauvignon, Sonoma County over the past weekend. Good stuff. We're paying about $16 a bottle. I recommend it.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Only the finest California grapes. Highly recommended.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Only the finest California grapes. Highly recommended.

We had a similar bottle in Naples last week, at the only Trader Joes in FL; except RJ won't touch the merlot.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    When ZG moved the wine and wine rack yesterday so the old refrigerator could get moved out and the new one in, I remembered a double-magnum (3.0 L) bottle of Kenwood, 1988, cabernet sauvignon, Artist Series. The on-line reviews are not looking good. I may have held it too long.

For that reason, I'll be opening it Sunday. Anybody interested in coming to the panhandle for a sample?

My report will posted next week.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The double magnum is currently vertical to settle any sediments.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post

I didn't know that Mongomery Ward sold wine.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005

How on Earth are you going to drink that before it goes bad? That is party wine...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Yeah, gramps, everything was better in the old days. Including the wine. Yup.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    2007, Geyser Peak, Block Collection, Walking Tree, Alexander Valley, cabernet sauvignon. This is worth attention and will age well.
    Just my opinion.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/08/tech...html?iid=HP_LN

Amazon has officially entered the wine business. Should be interesting.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/08/tech...html?iid=HP_LN

Amazon has officially entered the wine business. Should be interesting.
    Hooray!!! Gotta go. See you at Amazon searching the offerings.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Recent wines...

Trattore Wines, 2009, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley, zinfandel. Usually Dry Creek Valley produces exceptional zinfandel. Not this one. The taste has no resemblance to the true varietal. I blame the winemaker.

Eric K. James, 2007, Carneros (Calif.), pinot noir. Bone dry. Delicious. Excellent effort. Look for this one.

Conundrum, 2011, California white wine meritage. A very nice compliment to yesterday's turkey. Don't let the screw top turn you off. I've always liked this group of wines. They never disappoint.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    2000 St. Clement Napa Valley Merlot. Yes, I did say Merlot. This is really a very good wine, with much more complexity than normal.

"In the glass, this wine opens up beautifully to offer rich, dense and intensely flavored qualities. There are complex aromas of blueberry, spice, pepper and sweet toasted oak. On the mid-palate, the spice and cereal grain flavors from the new oak and the rich, dense blueberry/black fruit characters of fully mature fruit make this wine shine. Rich berry, cassis and black fruit flavors persist through the finish, highlighting the dense and complex character of this vintage."
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I watched the movie Bottle Shock the other night. I'd give it a 3.8 out of 5. Great story, filmed on location in California, and it has Alan Rickman in it.

It would be fun to have a double-feature with Sideways. Cardinal's post reminded me of a great line from that movie: "If anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any f****-ing Merlot!"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I watched the movie Bottle Shock the other night. I'd give it a 3.8 out of 5. Great story, filmed on location in California, and it has Alan Rickman in it.

It would be fun to have a double-feature with Sideways. Cardinal's post reminded me of a great line from that movie: "If anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any f****-ing Merlot!"
    As a collector of random junk... I have an original copy of the June 7, 1976 Time Magazine that has the Judgement of Paris in it... I liked Bottle Shock.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    As a collector of random junk... I have an original copy of the June 7, 1976 Time Magazine that has the Judgement of Paris in it... ...
    You have aroused the sleeping giant in me. What's its condition? Interested in parting with this rare mag? I got .

Registered
    Jan 2005
    You have aroused the sleeping giant in me. What's its condition? Interested in parting with this rare mag? I got .
    Great Condition. I have owned maybe 5 copies over time. I keep moving "up". I'm not selling this one. You can find one on Ebay every now and again... maybe $20 or so if someone doesn't know what they have. If they do you will find it more in the $80 range.

If I see one, I will surely let you know.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Just in time for the holidays....

Delivered today: a case of 2009, Sausal Winery, family old vine estate, Alexander Valley (Sonoma County CA), estate grown, zinfandel. Got a great price and free shipping.

Already sold six bottles to The Man.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Kenwood, 1989, cabernet sauvignon, artist series for my birthday dinner. Excellent condition. Great wine. At its plateau. Gets nice scores from the critics. Drink it if you got it.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Delivered today: a case of 2009, Sausal Winery, family old vine estate, Alexander Valley (Sonoma County CA), estate grown, zinfandel. Got a great price and free shipping.

Already sold six bottles to The Man.
    When you purchase do you do so by the case always? Unless I have tried it, I am very hesitant to spend hundreds of dollars.... do you find a bottle around your parts first then buy the case, or just go off of reviews? I am fairly sure I am going to be getting another 60 bottle rack for my cellar for Christmas, and I am already trying to figure out how to fill it

Registered
    Aug 2001
    When you purchase do you do so by the case always? Unless I have tried it, I am very hesitant to spend hundreds of dollars.... do you find a bottle around your parts first then buy the case, or just go off of reviews? I am fairly sure I am going to be getting another 60 bottle rack for my cellar for Christmas, and I am already trying to figure out how to fill it
    I've purchased by the half case. Usually by the case. I also have subscriptions that provide periodic shipments: one from a favorite winery the other from a trusted California retailer. I relay on the recommendations of my sister and younger brother who live in Sonoma and Napa counties, respectively, who are bigger wine geeks than me. I also trust reviews from SFGate.com, other sources, and my past experiences with wineries.

A new 60-bottle rack? I'm impressed.

+ Reply to thread
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 10:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 9:40 PM