Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Wine Thread

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'm not a big wine drinker- my stomach doesn't appreciate it so much however the two I enjoy the most are Davis Bynum- Merlot and La Crema (Kendall Jackson) Pinot. I'm really a Guiness girl

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Nor Cal Planner Girl
    ... Davis Bynum...
    Did you ever get a chance to taste when 'Manny' was there before they expanded the tasting room? The guy was great. And just down the road was Hop Kiln, another of my favorites.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I must not have had a very good time last night.....there was some of the St. Clement 1996 Oroppas left in the bottle this morning. I declare that it compliments the Pop Tarts for breakfast.

Mr AP and I drink wine every night during dinner. I really don't know much about it, I just drink what tastes good to me. I find that I really like Chardonnay and Cabernet (but if it is Cabernet, it has to be a really good one). I also like the Cabernet-Shiraz mix (Yellow Tail). We have been buying Black Box wine a lot lately, too. We belong to the wine of the month club, which has been helpful to me in learning what flavors I can taste in the wine.

Registered
    Mar 2005

Thirsty for some wine

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/scotus_wine_shipments

any other Cyburbia wine -o's out there? I am already trying to contact my favorites to make sure they are up to speed with the decision and ready to ship absurd amounts of wine to my house. My Honig and ZD without ever having set foot in a retail store or worry if they have the right vinatge.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    So you like wine.... Want to import some fine Chilean wine? (Why must I sell out my country in such a blatant way....)

Now, really, they're quite good, enough to compete against French and Californian wines...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This is wonderful news; I'm about to cry.....

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Moderator note:
    Threads merged.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Our local gorcery chain has a first rate wine department. Bought a couple of bottles of a hobby producer's Cabernet Sauvignon-"Hart's Desire." Yum!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    eG's Wine related facts:

Ms. G. and I watched Sideways the other night and throughly enjoyed it. Especially the "walet" scenes.

I just put up 6 gallons of a kit Raspberry Merlot. Yes, I said kit wine. In year it should be drinkable.

We bought another kit. It is a shiraz.

I'm still not a wine snob. Although I can appriciate those with the pallet and nose a little more these days.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    Ms. G. and I watched Sideways the other night and throughly enjoyed it.
    Mrs. Tranplanner and I did the same. I just need to restock the wine cellar now.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    What are the driest types of red wines available?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Dehydrated

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Katie has been drinking Sutter Home White Merlot (California 2004). As indicated in a previous poste in this thread, this Bear is not a "wine snob", so I would not know a good vine from a bad vine. My question for RJ (who will certainly give an honest answer) or anybody else browsing this thread.....is Katie's choice a good one (1)? My rule? If she is drinking it she must like it.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Katie has been drinking Sutter Home White Merlot (California 2004). As indicated in a previous poste in this thread, this Bear is not a "wine snob", so I would not know a good vine from a bad vine. My question for RJ (who will certainly give an honest answer) or anybody else browsing this thread.....is Katie's choice a good one (1)? My rule? If she is drinking it she must like it.

Bear
    I've not had this wine. But as I mentioned early in this thread, drink what you like and don't fall into trends and snob appeal.

I've never understood why a winery would make a white wine from red grapes. My guess is that it has something to do with adding the varietal term to the label for marketing purposes and getting rid of grapes that do not achieve the standards the winemaker is searching for in that particular varietal.

BTW, on tonights menu at the home of ZG: glazed ham with 2003 Schug, pinot noir (Carneros region).

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Shiraz seems to have picked up quite a following the past few years. I've got to admit, I haven't had a bad one yet but I'm not exactly the most fussy or knowledgable wine drinker either.

I've been pretty happy with the Australian wines I've tried, though I've got to admit I'm a bit nervous about the bottle I got playing Dirty Santa since it is from the vineyards of Olvia-Newton John. Will it be Xanadu in a bottle?

We have a vineyard here in Georgia that makes me laugh because it's located in the exurbs right next to a major interstate. I'm sure the daily dose of automobile exhust does wonders for the flavor of the grapes. There is also a restaurant/wine bar intown that grows its own grapes on the premises for their house wine. They just started this year so I haven't had a chance to try the local wine. I'm not expecting much so it is lucky that the place has a full selection of wines from around the world (and great food too).
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

I've been drinking BV Coastal Cabernet Sauv. it's mid range price and pleasent for a simpie like me.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The biscuit family has lately been enjoying the Mark West Pinot Noir. It's a fairly rich, but not too dry, California red and ordinarily is not very expensive too boot.The only problem is that our state owned liqueur stores won't carry it without me ordering an entire case.

Oh well, the sacrifices we have to make.
    Last edited by biscuit; 27 Dec 2005 at 10:09 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I love red wines, and in particular I am a big fan of European wines....chianti, medoc, saint emilion, beaujolais.

Just about every wine I've had from Baron Phillipe Rothchild is excellent. One of my favorites is Escudo Rojo, a Chilean wine.

Some California wines make it to our dinners as well. I like Francis Coppola wines. I've had a few other excellent wines, but I am not familar with the names.

I rarely spend more than $20 on a bottle. For table wine at home, we spend under $10.

The most interesting wine I ever had was "ice wine" in Germany. It was amazing! I've tried ice wine made up near Traverse City, but it wasnt the same.

I once had wine from Indiana. It tasted like
    urbanchik

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Christmas Eve I had a Pinot Noir from a Medocino County vineyard.

Christmas Day I was served a 1981 Bordeaux that was magnificent, as well as an Oregon Pinot Noir, and a bottle of Tokaj Hungarian dessert wine.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    zman, I have a 1989 Tokaj sitting in my cellar. It is one of the best in my collection. I have really developed a taste for desert wines in recent years, and have a handful of late harvest reislinegs, semillions and muscatos. The best is a bottle of Grgtch Violetta, waiting for a very special occassion.

Aubie - If you like zinfandel (red) then you will enjoy shiraz. It has many similar characteristics, with lush fruit and spicy notes.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    This fall I finally went to what NY Times has ranked before as the best liquor store in NY metro region... Suburban Wines in Yorktown Heights. The store highlights a listing of best wines under 10 bucks, perfect for a planning salary. I have been so impressed...all have been really good.

Some of my recent favorites:

Candido Salice Salentino, Italian Red... love this one!!
    Bodegas Nieto Senetiner, a Malbec from Argentina
    2004 Pileta 39 Malbec Mendoza, Argentina

The prices are good too...I highly recommend this store if you live near upper Westchester.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister

If you want dry...I would go with a Cabernet.. aged in US oak.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Anybody ever been to one of those places where you can make your own wine. We just had a place open up in "My fair city" called Vitner's Cellars. It is kinda neat, Mrs. PBD, myself and 3 other couples did it back in early november.

For between $110 and $200 +you can make 30 bottles of wine.

You start by tasting wine. We did it for about 2 hours before we decided what we wanted. We selected a Pear Reisling, Black Current Merlot, Cabernet Shiraz and a Chardonay (sp) for a total of 120 bottles of wine. We chose these different wine because we were going to split the different varieties among the 4 couples and everyone had different taste.

After you taste the wine you go in the back room and mix the grape juices, add wood chips for the "oaky" flavor, fruit, yeast and what ever else they tell you to.

About 6 weeks later you go back to bottle it.

We tried the Pear Reisling and Black Current Merlot over the Christmas holiday and it was pretty good, sweet, but drinkable. They tell you the other two wines need to age in the bottle for between 3 and 6 months before you can drink them.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Has anyone tried Cats Pee on a Gooseberry Bush?

No...seriously...it's good. Honest.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 9:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 8:40 PM