Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: The Widow Heinz

  1. #1
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061

    The Widow Heinz

    I really am not very interested in politics and this isn't particularly intended to be a "political" thread. In fact, I have refrained from posting on the topic because I don't want a political debate. But I had a long discussion a couple of weeks or so ago with my husband about John Kerry's wife and I was wondering: Has anyone else noticed that she is NOT 'Mrs. Kerry' -- she is really "The Widow Heinz"?? I guess when you are that rich, you have to be married to a senator in order to have a Kept Boy -- otherwise it would be embarrassing.

  2. #2
    Cyburbian Wannaplan?'s avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gale Crater
    Posts
    2,846
    Or maybe mediocrity is not an option for either Ms. Heinz or Mr. Kerry?



    [Do a little more digging and you may find yourself fascinated by the story of how Ms. Heinz and Mr. Kerry actually met and got married.]

  3. #3
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    I do not care how they met and married -- I do not think it is relevant to my point of view. It is my understanding that if she says "my husband" she meets the late Mr. Heinz, NOT John Kerry, whom she apparently refers to as "John", NOT 'my husband'. And if I were a Super Moderator, I would seriously consider deleting your post, which is really more personal attacks on MS even though he isn't even participating in this thread. As a minimum, you need a yellow card. Additionally, if you know the story behind how Mr. Kerry and The Widow Heinz met, feel free to post a link -- I am not interested enough to go searching for it.

  4. #4
    Cyburbian Wannaplan?'s avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gale Crater
    Posts
    2,846
    Is your query about the realization of one's identity? That is, how it is constructed, either by self, society? Or both? Perhaps Ms. Heinz wants it to be that way and the media has complied? Didn't Hillary Clinton become Hillary Rodham-Clinton at one time? Wasn't it at her request that she be referenced in that matter? I don't remember. Identity is a tricky thing.
    Last edited by Wannaplan?; 20 Sep 2004 at 9:51 PM.

  5. #5
    Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    7,584
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    And if I were a Super Moderator, I would seriously consider deleting your post, which is really more personal attacks on MS even though he isn't even participating in this thread. As a minimum, you need a yellow card.
    [mod hat]

    No direct personal attack....no yellow card warrented.

    [/mod hat]
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

  6. #6
    Cyburbian Budgie's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Sans Souci
    Posts
    5,265
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    As a minimum, you need a yellow card.
    UHHHHH, am I missing something here. This raises and interesting question, can a MOD get a yellow card? Not that MZ committed a cardable infraction, but I personally believe that if Yellow may be given to a MOD, EG would be a record holder.

    In terms of Ms. HeinZ, what is the point you are trying to make? Is it related to the true nature of their relationship, or her egoism, or the legality of remarrying, or the what? I don't know what angle of this issue is getting you worked up. Please, enlighten?

  7. #7
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    In terms of Ms. HeinZ, what is the point you are trying to make? Is it related to the true nature of their relationship, or her egoism, or the legality of remarrying, or the what? I don't know what angle of this issue is getting you worked up. Please, enlighten?
    I wouldn't exactly say I am "worked up". I just thought it might be an interesting point to bring up -- perhaps interesting from a social point of view. With the prenuptial agreement and the way she references things it just seems to me, personally, that her real husband is her late husband and John Kerry has never really replaced the guy. Granted, I think it is a lot easier to make that total commitment the first time around. I have thought a lot about such stuff. I have been married a long time and he is in the infantry and it has long been a rocky marriage. So I have oft pondered things like "what would I do if we divorced or he died?" And even with getting divorced, we are arranging for me to keep my medical benefits -- which I would lose if I remarried. So I have thought about "what kind of commitment would it take for me to stop being His Ex and remarry?" and stuff like that. I think when you have prenuptial agreements, etc, it ...um...so fundamentally changes the marriage contract as to make it something else?? It just sort of seems like "an arrangement", not a marriage.

    Gee, that was clear as mud. No?

    Oh, and let me add that the manner in which you bolded "MZ" is cute.
    Last edited by Michele Zone; 20 Sep 2004 at 10:54 PM.

  8. #8
    Cyburbian el Guapo's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Samsara
    Posts
    5,075
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    ...Not that MZ committed a cardable infraction, but I personally believe that if Yellow may be given to a MOD, EG would be a record holder...
    You Sir are correct. And I always try to accept the warning and move on in a positive manner. That is what I love about Cyburbia most...they serve as my inner monlogue and tact throttle...ah it's a good place Dan has built for us.

  9. #9
    Cyburbian Budgie's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Sans Souci
    Posts
    5,265
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    I think when you have prenuptial agreements, etc, it ...um...so fundamentally changes the marriage contract as to make it something else?? It just sort of seems like "an arrangement", not a marriage.
    I appreciate such ponderings. IMO prenuptial agreements imply either mistrust or self above the couple. Marriage with a prenuptual is either doomed to fail or not really a marriage, where the couple are devoted to eachother unconditionally.

  10. #10
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    Is your query about the realization of one's identity? That is, how it is constructed, either by self, society? Or both? Perhaps Ms. Heinz wants it to be that way and the media has complied? Didn't Hillary Clinton become Hillary Rodham-Clinton at one time? Wasn't it at her request that she be referenced in that matter? I don't remember. Identity is a tricky thing.
    I have been trying to figure out how to answer your question. I have trouble with questions like this because, to me, those inner dynamics are the seeds and the outer expression is the result -- I don't see a clear cut difference between the two and the human tendency to make such distincitions is not always accurate. We have animals like the platypus which doesn't clearly fit into one category or another because the platypus didn't ask itself "Hmmm...Which human category am I? And what characteristics does that have?" before it came into being.

    Well, now that you are going "HUH???".... I think I will shut up again. If you figure out what I am talking about, please let me know -- I would love to know what on earth I am saying.

  11. #11
    Cyburbian Rumpy Tunanator's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Intervention
    Posts
    4,475
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    You Sir are correct. And I always try to accept the warning and move on in a positive manner.
    Yellow Card el Guapo. Don't make us come over there






    MZ, what are you talking about? Her obvious reluctants to change her name from the Catsup Widow former known as Heinz (not Huntz which is Catsup not Ketchup) to Kerry? Or the fact that she is still stuck (like catsup not ketchup which is Heinz) on her late husband and John Kerry is just the rebound guy?

    Man now I'm confused.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."


    Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

  12. #12
    Cyburbian Wannaplan?'s avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gale Crater
    Posts
    2,846
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    I have been trying to figure out how to answer your question.
    As do I, hence the reason why I said, "Identity is a tricky thing."

  13. #13
    Cyburbian tsc's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Under the Table
    Posts
    1,900
    Blog entries
    6
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    I do not care how they met and married -- I do not think it is relevant to my point of view. It is my understanding that if she says "my husband" she meets the late Mr. Heinz, NOT John Kerry, whom she apparently refers to as "John", NOT 'my husband'. And if I were a Super Moderator, I would seriously consider deleting your post, which is really more personal attacks on MS even though he isn't even participating in this thread. As a minimum, you need a yellow card. Additionally, if you know the story behind how Mr. Kerry and The Widow Heinz met, feel free to post a link -- I am not interested enough to go searching for it.
    It seems like their history would be very important to understand how their relationship stands today. I saw a lengthy interview with Teresa...and she explained it all. I think you need to know where they come from before you can assume anything.

    Teresa is an interesting colorful character... and may be good for the nation. A first lady who is fluent in 5 languages (which is 5 more than than President Bushy) may be also helpful to ease tensions on the world stage.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

    Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

  14. #14
    Cyburbian Floridays's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2002
    Location
    South FL
    Posts
    766
    Personally, I give her kudos for saying exactly what's on her mind. We don't all have to agree with it, but she would definitely make an interesting first lady!
    She even made it into David Letterman's Top 10 list last night...read on, it's pretty good!

    Kerry's "Top 10 Bush Tax Proposals" are:

    10. No estate tax for families with at least two U.S. presidents.

    9. W-2 Form is now Dubya-2 Form.

    8. Under the simplified tax code, your refund check goes directly to Halliburton.

    7. The reduced earned income tax credit is so unfair, it just makes me want to tear out my lustrous, finely groomed hair.

    6. Attorney General (John) Ashcroft gets to write off the entire U.S. Constitution.

    5. Texas Rangers can take a business loss for trading Sammy Sosa.

    4. Eliminate all income taxes; just ask Teresa (Heinz Kerry) to cover the whole damn thing.

    3. Cheney can claim Bush as a dependent.

    2. Hundred-dollar penalty if you pronounce it "nuclear" instead of "nucular."

    1. George W. Bush gets a deduction for mortgaging our entire future.

  15. #15
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,552
    Blog entries
    3
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    Yellow Card el Guapo. Don't make us come over there
    Pretty lame yellow card there, Rumpy.

    I think I might have yellow carded a mod before. They're not exempt, and neither am I.

    A proper yellow card image should include either angry European soccer players, or mullets. Like this, for instance:


    (from http://www.world-cup-info.com)
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

  16. #16
    Cyburbian Rumpy Tunanator's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Intervention
    Posts
    4,475
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Off-topic:


    Pretty lame yellow card there, Rumpy.
    I know, I just wanted to throw Boy George in there
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."


    Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

  17. #17

    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Solano County, California
    Posts
    6,468
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Off-topic:


    Pretty lame yellow card there, Rumpy.

    I think I might have yellow carded a mod before. They're not exempt, and neither am I.

    A proper yellow card image should include either angry European soccer players, or mullets. Like this, for instance:


    (from http://www.world-cup-info.com)
    My God, Dan, Is there a mountain fortress somewhere that contains solely the hard drives storing your encyclopedia of images?

  18. #18
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    My God, Dan, Is there a mountain fortress somewhere that contains solely the hard drives storing your encyclopedia of images?
    [teasing] Well, being A Manly Man, Dan has a really BIG, hard.....drive.[/teasing]

    Back on topic:

    Rumpy, thank you!. I don't feel so "nutty" anymore.

    tsc: I don't agree that I have to understand their history to see something valid about where the relationship stands now.
    Last edited by Michele Zone; 22 Sep 2004 at 3:22 AM.

  19. #19
          Downtown's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Under a pile of back issue Plannings
    Posts
    3,174
    Honestly, I hated taking my husband's name. But in the end, I took the new name and now sign everything Downtown Dodderwater MacGuillicuddy (no hyphen). I'm the last person to throw hassle at anyone for how they like to be referred to.

    I can't even imagine losing my husband like she did, after they'd been together, and through so much together. I wouldn't ever begrudge anyone for wanting to honor that person and that part of their own identity.

  20. #20
    Cyburbian Plus PlannerGirl's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Va
    Posts
    4,604
    Who am I to judge a woman for how she chooses to do her name? When I was married I had both names and the next time I wed I wont take a new name at all-too damn much trouble!!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

    Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

  21. #21
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    I do not understand why every woman here seems to assume that I am "judging" and condemning the woman.

  22. #22
    Cyburbian Queen B's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2003
    Location
    "Somewhere in the middle"
    Posts
    3,160
    After thinking about it a bit, I think it is a great outward sign of how they are able to compromise and come to terms with their past history. It is an admirable thing when two people can enter into a loving relationship and be supportive enough of each other to allow the other to thrive and grow in their own way.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

  23. #23
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B
    After thinking about it a bit, I think it is a great outward sign of how they are able to compromise and come to terms with their past history. It is an admirable thing when two people can enter into a loving relationship and be supportive enough of each other to allow the other to thrive and grow in their own way.
    I think that is the most thoughtful comment I have heard so far. Thank you.

  24. #24
    Cyburbian donk's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2001
    Location
    skating on thin ice
    Posts
    6,958
    As a person with a connection to many different names (way too long and personal for here) I can totally understand her desire to use and retain a name that provides her a sense of comfort, identity and inner joy.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

  25. #25
          Downtown's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Under a pile of back issue Plannings
    Posts
    3,174
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    I do not understand why every woman here seems to assume that I am "judging" and condemning the woman.
    MZ - seriously. This isn't judgmental?

    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    she is NOT 'Mrs. Kerry' -- she is really "The Widow Heinz"?? I guess when you are that rich, you have to be married to a senator in order to have a Kept Boy -- otherwise it would be embarrassing.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Pickles: Heinz 57
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 22 Jul 2006, 9:51 AM
  2. Teresa Heinz Kerry is so dignified
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 28 Jul 2004, 12:08 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 12 Jul 2004, 11:48 PM