Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Boat level-of-service

Registered
    Feb 2003

Boat level-of-service

I thought that I would post this thread under the transportation area since technically is about a form of transportation.

I was recently tasked with determining the LOS for boats/boat launches. This "task" does not have any firm ideas except to locate the area's boat ramps (public and private), boat storage capacity, determining the demand for new boat ramps. If anyone has any ideas or good examples, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Wow, good question. I couldn't find anything on the net so I'll give you what help I could come up with.

For private launches, the marina owners could probally give you the figures, as well as any place that stores boats.

For the public sector, I guess you could contact your state's DEC to get a list of their launch sites and figures (if any), and you could contact the DMV to see how many boats and boat trailers are registered in the county or area your looking at.

I guess you could also go down to these sites and check out the parking capacity for trailers and the number of launching lanes. Then you could get some interns to spend a day out there watching the parking situation on an hourly basis to get a feel for the turnover rate and peak demand.

That's all I have. Good luck.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    This is kinda related -

The purpose of the Boat and Beach Access Report is to assess Collier County’s performance in providing beach access and boat launch facilities to County residents and visitors.
    http://www.vanderbiltbeachandbay.org...ort%202002.pdf
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    That's a hell of a question!

Living at a lake, I can tell you that capacity of boat ramps varies based on the skill of the boaters. Some people, like myself, can drop a boat in the water in under a minute from the time you put the truck in reverse. Others (damn tourists) can take as long as 20 minutes because they have no idea what the hell they are doing. Some lakes have a lot of local use while other lakes have a lot of out-of-towners that use their boat maybe once a summer.

I really think the best way to determine LOS is to send some poor little intern out to monitor your particular area's ramps. That's the only way I can think of to get accurate figures for your community.

Some items to survey:

# of parking spaces occupied (including ones where people render two spots unusable )

average time spent loading a boat onto a trailer

average time spent unloading a boat from a trailer

average wait for ramp

peak day information (probably July 4th, Memorial Day or Labor Day)

You might check with the Corps of Engineers to see if they have any info like you are looking for since they run many of the ramps on their lakes.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Thanks for some of the information. You guys have at least pointed me in a better direction than I was going.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    pardon my ignorance, but what does LOS stand for?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by roger
    pardon my ignorance, but what does LOS stand for?
    Level-of-Service. Basically, it's a measure of how well a facility handles traffic for lack of a better way to phrase it.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 02 Nov 2005, 4:32 PM
  2. Bicycle level of service
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 25 May 2005, 10:51 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Apr 2005, 4:56 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 11 Mar 2005, 10:06 PM