Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ticket for 140mph OVER the speed limit.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Ticket for 140mph OVER the speed limit.

WABASHA, Minn. (AP) - With a State Patrol airplane overhead, a motorcyclist hit the throttle and possibly set the informal record for the fastest speeding ticket in Minnesota history: 205 mph.

On Saturday afternoon, State Patrol pilot Al Loney was flying near Wabasha, in southeastern Minnesota on the Wisconsin border, watching two motorcyclists racing along U.S. Highway 61.

When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later. The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph.

"I was in total disbelief," Loney told the St. Paul Pioneer Press for Tuesday's editions. "I had to double-check my watch because in 27 years I'd never seen anything move that fast."

Read the rest...
    http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040922/D858M7MG0.html

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    How many Gs would that motorcyclist have experienced? :-0
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    You can out run a cop car, but you can't out run the radio! You need to be smart to prevent from getting caught.

*It is sick how fast some of these bikes can go these days. Then again, I did watch a severely hopped up Eagle Talon walk away from a Dodge Viper back in the say when I would street race.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    From the Article -
    "Kathy Swanson of the state Office of Traffic Safety said unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.

"I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you crashed at 200 miles per hour," Swanson said. "But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure.""

Just the thought of such a crash and tumbling gives me the creeps
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Just the thought of such a crash and tumbling gives me the creeps
    You would be a block of cheese and the pavement would be a very sharp cheese grater.

I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Here in nothern Arizona a trucker in an 18 wheeler hit an elk and died!

Professional motorcycle protective gear keeps you from getting serious road rash, not death. Pros race on circuits (except for that one in Europe which is all streets and people do die often there) where hay bales make soft crash barriers. On highways you have manmade and natural barriers that break the body.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    You can out run a cop car, but you can't out run the radio! You need to be smart to prevent from getting caught.
    I just tested that theory with the desktop radio in my office. I outran it every time.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    OT, but, Chet, I like your moment of Zen.

Your daily moment of Zeno not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just leave me the
    hell alone.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    *It is sick how fast some of these bikes can go these days. Then again, I did watch a severely hopped up Eagle Talon walk away from a Dodge Viper back in the say when I would street race.
    Speaking of Talons . . .

I was headed south on I-95 from Fayetteville, NC on my to Charleston. I was maybe 5 miles south of the 'ville and in the left lane going about 80 in my little Mitsubishi when i looked in my rearview mirror to see the flashing headlights of what looked like a Corvette gaining on me very quickly. I moved over and three cars blasted past me like i was going backwards - the lead car was a trans am, followed by an eagle talon, followed by an MR2 twin-turbo. I was curious to see just how fast they were going so i caught up to them at 115mph - they had slowed down. As soon as the road was clear all three cars took off as if from a dead stop. I took it back down to 80 . . . long story short the Trans-Am went off the road at about 165 and plowed into the mud like a meteor. The heavy rains the two days prior had been pretty forgiving and probably prevented the car from flipping a dozen or so times. The driver and passenger were white as ghosts but unhurt.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Reminds me of the time.......

When I was driving in Europe between Antwerp and Brussells in a 2CV Citroen maxed out at 50mph and on fire....a big black mercedes passed me at about 140mph and a small porche police car passed me at about 170mph.....

Fastest I've gone is about 185mph in the TGV train from Paris to Switzerland....cool
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    205mph? Like ~330km/h?!?!?! Holy sh*t! I wonder how the guy didn't lift off! Talk about speeding!

Registered
    May 2003
    We have some motorcycle wimps around here. They buzzed by a CHP car (unwise to say the least) at high rate. The CHP gave chase at 120 mph, but the motorcycles left him behind. Estimated motorcycle speed was 150 mph.

The cyclists got caught because they exited the freeway and the CHP officer exited at the same place. Bystanders pointed the CHP to the driveway where the motorcyclists were high fiving their escape.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I've never been a big fan of mortercycle - No real reason why, I just never have. Although, I'll sometimes mention to my wife that I'd really like to buy this or that model of bike just to see her freak out about it. You know, keeps her on her toes.:p I don't understand what it is about riding a crotch rocket that makes people think they have the license to drive as fast as they possibly can and weave in and out of traffic on the interstate. Behavior like that is just makes you a pavement stain waiting to happen.

The fastest I’ve personally ever been on the road was about 120mph, in Supra I had just got, on a small straight stretch of mountain highway. I had been told that the car had a governor on it that prohibited anything over 150 but I wussed out at 120 and never found out.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 08 Jan 2013, 9:14 AM
  2. Design speed versus actual speed
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 30 Jul 2006, 2:46 AM
  3. The long forgotten 55 MPH speed limit
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 13 Jul 2005, 8:20 PM