Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: (un)Attractive Job Titles

Registered
    Aug 2001

(un)Attractive Job Titles

OK...most job titles are relatively mild and standard...
    But not in Buffalo. Looking for that ideal job? How about being the next Supervisor of Slum and Blight?
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Zoning Enforcement Officer, Houston Texas
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Great job title! Sure to win you some street cred.

I always thought "head planner" was an interesting title. I wonder what you would encounter when you enter his/her office ...

(from http://www.lenola.com)
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I was promoted to Senior Planner in June. The "senior" part doesn't bother me now. But ten or so years from now when I am looking more "senior" I might feel differently.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Transportation Demand Management Coordinator for the City of Las Angeles.
    Job description: develop a public education effort, conduct outreach to area employers, and promote other strategies that reduce single-occupancy vehicles. Hah! :-S

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Planner, County of current employer.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Sep 1998
    For me, I ofen refer to myself in a tounge and cheek manner as follows:

"Chief cook and bottle washer" - I've seen more than a few folks give a "double take" when I use the preceeding moniker.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Me, why I am a Tribal Planning Director. Tell me that isn't one you don't have to explain over and over again.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Principal Coordinator. It says nothing. If anything, it makes people think I assign school principals. Normally I just describe myself as a "Trails planner" or "urban planner".

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    WTF?!?!...$15 to apply of a job? Did I read that right? Must be associated with the AICP.

BTW, Code Compliance is still an unattractive title to me (sorry, CC folks).

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Hmmm, always wanted a job where I could spread slum and blight everywhere I could....wait, that's not the goal of the job?

My job title is 'Economist'. Talk about title inflation.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    Me, why I am a Tribal Planning Director.....
    Tell 'em you're on "Survivor."

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I always felt sorry for all the Navy officers who had the title 'Commodore' changed to 'Rear Admirial'. Someone in the Pentagon visited the "head planner" the day they came up with that change.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle
    I always felt sorry for all the Navy officers who had the title 'Commodore' changed to 'Rear Admiral'.
    Actual they are "Rear Admiral (lower half)".
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    WTF?!?!...$15 to apply of a job? Did I read that right? Must be associated with the AICP.

BTW, Code Compliance is still an unattractive title to me (sorry, CC folks).

Ah... must be NYS Civil Service....there is a fee to sit for the exam.... fees range by county.... but $15 is normal. We have to pay for promotional exams too.... of which I am scheduled to take in a couple months...
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    Me, why I am a Tribal Planning Director.
    This is interesting. Do you work on a reservation? If so, how large of an area do you plan? How much interaction do you have with the feds (BIA, etc), if any at all?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by tsc
    Ah... must be NYS Civil Service....there is a fee to sit for the exam.... fees range by county.... but $15 is normal. We have to pay for promotional exams too.... of which I am scheduled to take in a couple months...
    My county waive's teh $12.50 fee for county emps.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Paid $10 for the county exam here. Took a state exam for free. Depends on the position.

If this position (Supervisor of Slum and Blight) wasn't promotional, I would have applied for that as well. They really need somebody to clean up this city .
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 13 Mar 2013, 9:20 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Sep 2012, 10:37 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 19 Apr 2007, 8:22 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 27 Feb 2007, 3:29 PM
  5. Replies: 89