Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: "Big Box" Design Guidelines

"Big Box" Design Guidelines

Hi all - looking for some direction on this one.

Any of you have any examples of Big Box Design Guidelines in North America? (focus on anything in Canada first, but all will help - I know Fort Collins). Also, same thing for "Greenfield" Community Design Guidelines. Any and all links would be appreciated.

We're putting together both and looking for some good case studies.

Thanks.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Not specifically for big boxes, but drafted in response to knowing they where coming:

Parking Lot Design Criteria
    4.2.12 Where a parking lot has more than 50 spaces, 5% of the entire parking lot, excluding the access drive, shall be landscaped with trees and / or shrubs and / or vegetative ground cover. The area of the parking lot is the area of the parking spaces and aisles and interior parking lot islands, excluding access drives that do not contain either parallel or perpendicular parking spaces.
    a) Planter islands or peninsulas containing trees shall be located within the parking
    lot, such that each island or planter is surrounded on at least three sides by parking lot or an access drive to the parking lot.
    b) Planter islands and peninsulas must be at least two (2) square metres in area with a minimum width and length of at least 1.4 metres.

Screening criteria
    SCREENING
    3.1.31 Where required by this by-law screening shall be provided in accordance with the following requirements:
    a) Materials:
    i) plant materials characterized by dense growth which will form an effective year-round screen shall be planted, or a fence or a wall shall be constructed to form the screen;
    ii) screening may consist of both natural and man made materials;
    iii) where a fence is used as screening, the fence shall be constructed such that the frame work and any visible supports shall not be visible from the adjacent property;
    iv) to the extent practical, existing trees and vegetation shall be retained and
    used to satisfy the provisions of this section.
    b) Height:
    i) screening shall be at least 1.5 metres in height;
    ii) plant materials, when planted, may be less than one metre in height if of a
    species or variety which shall normally attain the required height and width
    within three years of planting;
    iii) height shall be measured from the finished grade;
    iv) height must comply with all other provisions of this by-law, specifically
    Sections 3.1.19 and 3.1.22.
    c) Width:
    i) screening shall be in a strip of landscaped open space of at least 1.5 metres
    in width.
    d) Maintenance:
    i) all required plant materials shall be maintained in a healthy condition and
    whenever necessary replaced with new plant materials to ensure continued
    compliance with screening requirements;
    ii) all required fences and walls shall be permanently maintained in good repair
    and presentable appearance and whenever necessary they shall be repaired
    or replaced.

Waste Disposal Containers criteria

WASTE DISPOSAL CONTAINERS
    3.1.30 A waste disposal container shall not be located in any front yard, side yard or rear yard, except as follows:
    a) in the R3, R4, R5, R6, RP and RR residential zone said waste disposal container;
    i) shall not displace or be placed in any required landscaped open space and /
    or parking spaces;
    ii) shall be located at least 3.0 metres from either side lot line, at least 3.0 metres from the rear lot line and at least 3.0 metres from any other lot line not specifically mentioned; and
    iii) shall be screened from adjacent properties.

b) in any industrial, commercial, community use or rural zone said waste disposal
    container:
    i) shall not displace or be placed in any required landscaped open space, parking spaces and / or loading spaces;
    ii) for a lot line that abuts another industrial, commercial, community use or rural zone shall be at least 3.0 metres from either side lot line, at least 3.0 metres from the rear lot line and at least 3.0 metres from any other lot line not specifically mentioned;
    iii) for a lot line that abuts a residential zone shall be located at least 5.0 metres from either side lot line, at least 5.0 metres from the rear lot line and at least 5.0 metres from any other lot line not specifically mentioned; and
    iv) shall be screened from adjacent properties.

We also amended the By-law to permit the creation of "outpads" properties in the Shopping Centre zone, but required that there be physical separations between the lots and that the uses on the outpads be limited in size. Unfortunately I do not think I have this amendment in my files, but I will look for you.

I'd take a look at Windsor's rules, there big box area does not seem too bad
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Plan Man
    Hi all - looking for some direction on this one.

Any of you have any examples of Big Box Design Guidelines in North America? (focus on anything in Canada first, but all will help - I know Fort Collins). Also, same thing for "Greenfield" Community Design Guidelines. Any and all links would be appreciated.

We're putting together both and looking for some good case studies.

Thanks.
    Ottawa seems to be a long way from Fort Collins, don't ya think?
    I will try to dig some regs up, BRB/
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2004
    There is a community in Metro Atlanta (Gwinnet County) that has strict guidelines on big box development. Sorry but I'm not sure on the name of the Muni-- I know tha the Mall of GA is located there -- I think that its Lawrenceville or Buford.

It was striking to see how nice it looked as compared to the surrounding areas. -- Just happened to drive-thru recently

Registered
    Nov 2002

Design Guidelines

Somerville, Mass has decent guidelines for design in the Assembly Square district- look on their web site for their zoning ordinance. The Assembly Square zoning may not be in their main zoning ordinance since its pretty new but it should be on there somewhere.

Registered
    Feb 2003

Big Box Ords.

I helped draft the Arlington, TX ordinance a few years back, and I know that the City of Dallas is currently working on theirs. I would contact Dallas for the list of ords. that they have been looking at to save on the 'leg work'. I found that the Fort Collins code was used as a model in many places. Good luck!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 Nov 2007, 3:45 PM
  2. Replies: 37
    Last post: 12 Mar 2006, 7:23 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 20 Oct 2005, 4:37 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 May 2005, 4:07 PM
  5. "Good" fast food design
    Design, Space, and Place