Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Kudos to the Log Cabin Republicans

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Kudos to the Log Cabin Republicans

I'm not gay, nor am I Republican.

Stioll, I can't help but respect the difficult decision made by the Log Cabin Republicans Board of Directors.
    Log Cabin Republicans Vote to Withhold Endorsement from President Bush

National Board Announces Log Cabin Will Focus on Supporting Inclusive Republican Candidates for U.S. House and Senate

(Washington, DC)óLog Cabin Republicans are withholding their endorsement from President Bush for 2004. "Log Cabin's National Board has voted to withhold a Presidential endorsement and shift our financial and political resources to defeating the radical right and supporting inclusive Republican candidates for the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives," said Log Cabin Board Chairman William Brownson of Ohio. The Log Cabin Board of Directors voted 22 to 2 not to endorse the President's re-election.

"Certain moments in history require that a belief in fairness and equality not be sacrificed in the name of partisan politics; this is one of those moments. The national board's vote empowers Log Cabin to maintain its integrity while furthering our goal of building a more inclusive Republican Party. Log Cabin is more committed than ever to its core mission to build a stronger and more inclusive Republican Party. There is a battle for the heart and soul of the Republican Party, and that fight is bigger than one platform, one convention, or even one President," said Log Cabin Republicans Executive Director Patrick Guerriero. [snip]
    The best quote from the article:
    "Every victory by fair-minded Republicans is a victory for the future of our party. We have made it clear that we can either be the party of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Rudy Giuliani or we can be the party of Alan Keyes and Rick Santorum," continued Guerriero.
    I couldn't have said it better. Historically, I voted for the man or woman, and not the party. With the Republican Party shifting to the hard right, taking a strong, exclusinve ideological bent, I'm turning into a single-column voter. Many liberals who would have otherwise considered voting for qualified Republicans probably feel the same.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Nothing like a post that mentions Santorum and the Log Cabin Republicans! Do a Google search that includes these three words: santorum savage frothy.
    Last edited by Wannaplan?; 23 Sep 2004 at 9:04 AM.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    Do a Google search that includes these three words: santorum savage frothy.
    If you're familiar with Dan Savage, I wouldn't advise the search from work. NSFW.

Santorum is deserving of the meaning of his name. I just feel bad for anyone else with that name.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2003
    I am surprised that any Republicans have stuck with Bush this far. He's a big-government conservative who is fiscally irresponsible. He has mis-used the military and started un-needed foreign wars. I think the Republicans are so enamored by control of all three branches of the government that they have forgotten their core values. It pains me to see people I respect, like Colin Powell and John McCain, spout talking points, rather than following their very moral inner compasses.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    The whole concept of a "Log Cabin Republican" is worthy of ridicule. I mean, so your taxes are a little high. Because of that, you're going to throw your lot in with a Party that basically, in its base, believes that you are subhuman and whose more virulent members want to Taliban you? (I know, I am vastly simplifying things, but...)

Amazing.

Quote Originally posted by Wulf9
    I am surprised that any Republicans have stuck with Bush this far. He's a big-government conservative who is fiscally irresponsible. He has mis-used the military and started un-needed foreign wars. I think the Republicans are so enamored by control of all three branches of the government that they have forgotten their core values. It pains me to see people I respect, like Colin Powell and John McCain, spout talking points, rather than following their very moral inner compasses.
    Go to the alternative press and read a little bit more about Colin Powell. His entire career has been spent toadying to radical right policy and questionable militarism.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 23 Sep 2004 at 1:01 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    I know a Log Cabin Republican. He is very right wing, pro-Bush on almost everything except the Defense of Marriage act. But like any other group, most gays are not single issue voters.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Some pretty sharp points in this thread. Totally agree with Dan on the comment about people turning into single-column voters.

I would think that single ISSUE voters are along the lines of.....

>>I hate Bush. I will vote all Demoncratic. (SIC)
    >>I hate Kerry. I will vote all Bushmaster.
    >>I'm against abortions. I will vote....blah blah

Etc.

Bear Planning To Vote Absentee & Still Planning To Vote Libertarian
    (But his vote can be bought, dial 1-800-BuyBearsVote OR buy me a beer)
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by roger
    I know a Log Cabin Republican. He is very right wing, pro-Bush on almost everything except the Defense of Marriage act. But like any other group, most gays are not single issue voters.
    Absolutely true. But, if you listen to some of the rightish fringes of the Republican Party (no, not the mainstream)

NOTE: EXTREMELY RHETORICAL EXAGERATION AHEAD:

I can almost hear the explanation: (CUE GODWIN'S LAW) He may be Jewish, but he believes in a strong Germany, his businessmen friends support the guy, and he wants the trains to run on time...so

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 16 Mar 2007, 5:11 PM
  2. Republicans eat their own
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 06 Feb 2007, 11:34 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 26 Jan 2006, 12:16 PM
  4. I Miss Republicans
    Friday Afternoon Club