Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Great British children's television shows

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Great British children's television shows

Rainbow was a real children's television show that appeared on British television in the 1970s and 1980s.

However, I don't think this episode was written for the kiddies.
    The sketch opens with Zippy peeling a banana...
    Zippy: "One skin, two skin, three skin, four.... "
    George: "Zippy, where is Bungle?"
    Zippy: "I think Geoffrey is trying to get him up"
    We see a view of the door and hear Bungle moaning from behind it.
    Bungle: "Geoffrey, I can't get it in"
    Geoffrey: "You managed it last night"
    Bungle: "I know, let's try it round the other way around. Ooooooh, I've got it in"
    [snip]
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2003
    :-C

Ummm, where do you find this stuff Dan ?
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Just say "NO!"
    This has got to be the most useless children's program going. When my sister-in-law had her children, I made her promise me that she wouldn't let them watch this mindless crap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tubbies.jpg  

This is exactly why the experts tell us to monitor what our children are watching on tv: because if it's good Limey telly, we'll start our mornings off with some great double entendres
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jul 2002
    The best (worst?) double entendre I've ever seen on a kids show was on Animaniacs. The shows was famous for them and other subtle bits of adults humor. In fact, the show even had it's own catch phrase as a wink to the parents in the audience. After each 'in' joke Yakko would look shocked, turn to the camera and say "Goodnight everybody!"

In the skit in question the Warners were dressed up as Sherlock Holmes types. They enter a room looking for clues to some mystery they were trying to solve.
    Yakko: "Ok, everybody! Look for prints!"
    The Warners starts searching the room with magnifying glasses. Dot reaches into the couch and pull out...Prince (The singer)
    Dot: "I've found him!"
    Yakko: "No, Dot! Finger prints! Finger prints!"
    Dot (looks at Prince, then looks at camera): "EEEEWWWW!!"
    Yakko: "Goodnight everybody!"
    Last edited by statler; 23 Sep 2004 at 1:30 PM.
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Rainbow was a real children's television show that appeared on British television in the 1970s and 1980s.

However, I don't think this episode was written for the kiddies.

Of course these are the same people who gave the childern of the UK "Bagpuss" the stuffed cat that would only come alive when no one was around.
    She has been a bad girl, she is like a chemical, though you try and stop it she is like a narcotic.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

Don't get me started...

My childhood was defined in part by such great little shows as The Wombles, Simon and the land of Chalk Drawings, Paddington Bear, and Noddy. These high-quality productions usually only ran for about 5-10 minutes per episode.

How about this one:

Hello, Children, hello. Here is this morning's story. Are you ready? Then we'll begin. 'One day Ricky the magic Pixie went to visit Daisy Bumble in her tumbledown cottage. He found her in the bedroom. Roughly he gabbed her heavy shoulders pulling her down on to the bed and ripping off her...
    Alright, not really a children's show - but any thread about anything British must eventually involve Monty Python, eh?

Registered
    Feb 2000
    When I was 10, I remember watching "Blue Peter" and there was a show on Saturday mornings that had a puppet dog named "Spit" that had a habit of hocking up loogies in response to every question he was asked. This show had teams of kids from different schools in obstacle course competitions at a theme park. Can anyone from the other side of the pond help with the name of that show?

I remember "Rainbow". The big brown bear had a lot of homosexual tendencies.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Anybody remember the Thunderbirds ?
    http://www.thunderbirdsonline.co.uk/
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2006

Anyone know this show?

I have been trying to find the name of a British children's show that aired here in the US on Showtime (or maybe HBO) back in the eighties. It was about these brothers whose widowed father was sent overseas (India, I think) and he left them in the care of their aunt. The kids had other plans and ran off to the forest where they took up residence in a hollow tree. It's been awhile since I've seen it so my memory is a bit hazy, but these are the essential details. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by greatwazoo View post
    I have been trying to find the name of a British children's show that aired here in the US on Showtime (or maybe HBO) back in the eighties. It was about these brothers whose widowed father was sent overseas (India, I think) and he left them in the care of their aunt. The kids had other plans and ran off to the forest where they took up residence in a hollow tree. It's been awhile since I've seen it so my memory is a bit hazy, but these are the essential details. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful.
    Have you tried wikipedia's children's t.v. show list by country?

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Anyone who watches Sprout with their kids realizes that about 50% of the shows are British, Kipper the Dog, Angelina Ballerina, teletubbies, etc. So far, I haven't see any double entrede on these shows. However, they are aimed at the real young crowd.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Yeah, the PBS shows don't have a double meaning and they are geared towards the real youngin's. I watch Sprout and PBS everyday.

Registered
    Mar 2004

No....but....

How about

Banana's in Pyjamas?? An Australian Show that my oldest daughter loved.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bananas_in_Pyjamas
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    My two favorites were Blue Peter and Wacaday..My sister and I used to play Mallet's Mallet with a pillow...ah the good ole days...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 31 Oct 2008, 9:56 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 29 Jan 2008, 8:38 PM
  3. Children's input into a comp plan
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 09 Dec 2005, 10:27 AM
  4. children's history
    Friday Afternoon Club