Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Baseball All Star Game

Baseball All Star Game

Any baseball fans want to coment on Bud Selig stopping the All Star game after 11 innings?

Personally I think it was a huge mistake. Here you have fans that have paid anywhere from $150 to $1,500 for a ticket to see a complete baseball game and they call it because the managers are worried about having a player getting hurt. My gosh, you could just tell your pitcher to go out there a throw easy pitches to give up a homer to end the tie. Instead you have the two managers whine to Bud that they don't have any more pitchers, so the game ends in a tie. No winner, No MVP, nothing but angry fans.

Again the players and the Commish demonstrate that they don't give a crap about the fans!

This is why the NFL is king!

:angry
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001

I agree it was CRAP

Bud must go! Bud must go! Bud must go! Bud must go!

It was a disgusting decision - the potential injury arguement doesn't hold water in my book! This of the 40,000 + fans from across the country that will be leaving Milwaukee with a bad last impression.

Fortunately (?!) I was spared the misery of watching, since I had 3 public hearings and a common council meeting last night.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

Who (other than those in attendance) cares?

It's a meaningless exhibition game, all the players had been used up, no one was left on the bench.

Ask a fan in Seattle if he's upset that Freddy Garcia didn't pich longer. The right decision was made to end the game. There could have been a better way of handling it other than announcing during the middle of the inning...but I'd rather all the players be playing for their teams in ames that mean something than in a meaningless exhibition.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Technically, it is a meaningless exhibition, but is it really meaningless? Would it be meaningless to a family that shelled out over $1000 - $2000 for tickets, hotel, and travel to go to the game? Just because the managers mis-managed their rosters, doesn't mean that MLB has to screw over the fans once again. Like I said before, the fans wouldn't have cared if the pitchers went out there and served up some easy pitches to end the game.

Here you have a great all star game, precluded by 4 days of activities like the Fan Fest, the futures game, and the Home Run derby, and all everyone is talking about is how they cancelled the game. Nobody is talking about how great it was up until the end.

As for Garcia, even he said he could have gone longer.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    As the subject line of my last post states, I agree that it was unfair to those that were in Milwaukee for the game. It was poorly handled, and the decision to end the game whe they were out of players should have come up sooner.

In terms of what people spent, I personally could never justify that kind of expenditure for an exhibition game. The whole facade of the all-star game is simply a huge display of individual talent, not a real baseball game. None of the players care about winning or losing. I haven't followed baseball closely since 1986, when the Red Sox tore my bleeding heart from my chest when Mookie Wilson's bouncer went through Buckner's legs. Like you, I'll take the NFL anyday!

By the way, I didn't watch the game, and my comments are a rehash of what I heard on sports radio during my lunch hour.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 28
    Last post: 18 Nov 2011, 6:42 PM
  2. Replies: 45
    Last post: 07 Apr 2010, 8:48 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 16 Jul 2008, 7:19 PM
  4. Replies: 36
    Last post: 05 Aug 2005, 3:24 PM