Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: your alma mater

Registered
    Jul 2002

your alma mater

U.S. News & World Report has published its "America's Best Colleges" Report for
    2005 College Report
    Where does your alma mater fits in?

Mine (University of Oklahoma -- go Sooners!) is ranked 127 out of 130.

I'm not sure I completely understand the Tier system, though.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    University of Michigan - Ann Arbor: Top schools - #22(tied), Top public schools - #2(tied)
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Alas... I did not see the University of Northern Colorado on there. Any rankings for teaching/nursing schools. I may find it there.

Oh well, I think I did okay for coming from there.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Wait, it's in Tier 4. But what does that mean?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Sep 1999
    University of Florida #51

Registered
    Mar 2004

Don't ask.....

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Wait, it's in Tier 4. But what does that mean?
    It doesn't mean much of anything.....those of us with brains that went to the University of Northern Colorado are doing just fine.....oh and it happens to be one of the best values in all of higher education today (certainly for teachers and nurses and this planner ). zmanPlan, our next football game is against Montana.....Montana will be beat by 3 TD's minimum
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Ball State is a Tier 3 school. I personally feel I got out of BSU what I put in (and I became a Hoosier public servant, so I think the state got something for its investment in me).
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    It doesn't mean much of anything.....those of us with brains that went to the University of Northern Colorado are doing just fine.....oh and it happens to be one of the best values in all of higher education today (certainly for teachers and nurses and this planner ). zmanPlan, our next football game is against Montana.....Montana will be beat by 3 TD's minimum
    I agree that those of us with brains are doing just fine. Greeley can suck you in if you're not careful or at least creative Good value, yes and I thought I got a fine education (And a fine job) as a student there. The GIS program is coming into the fold too. Budgets may kill some stuff now, but overall it is a good experience.

-Peart

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Ball State is a Tier 3 school. I personally feel I got out of BSU what I put in (and I became a Hoosier public servant, so I think the state got something for its investment in me).
    I think BSU overall is a tier 3 school.....CAP, on the other hand, at least during my time there, is among the better Architecture, Planning, and LA schools out there.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Undergrad - USU - Tier 3
    Grad - UCD - Tier 4

Rankings of schools is for snob name dropping appeal and willing spend $$$$.
    AIB a previous thread does the ranking/name of which school you attended/graduate from really make you a better planner ?
    I think not IMHO.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2002
    For whatever it means...
    Boston College - #37
    University of Wisconsin-Madison - #32

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Undergrad = University of Maryland (2nd. Tier)
    Grad = Georgia Institute of Technology (1st. Tier)

Considering I get considerable aid/scholarship for my undergrad and had an assistantship my entire three years of grad school I can't complain. My student loan balance is manageable

Registered
    Aug 2001
    That was funny!

I got a pop-up for Phoenix University... but they didn't have a link for top-rated online colleges.

WTF?

Registered
    May 1997
    graduate: U of Wisconsin-Madison #34, as I read the chart
    undergrad: U of Wyoming, in the third tier

Registered
    Jan 2003
    A second "Go Sooners"!!!

David Boren has worked hard to get OU in the second group....I never felt so snobby to be "second"...but 127 out of hundreds ain't bad at all

Indiana University-#71

Registered
    Oct 2001
    My undergraduate, Bypass High (Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne) wasn't even on the Tier Four list. But, you know, I had some great teachers and some interesting classes there, so these "rankings" are pretty worthless to me.

Grad School: University of Virginia: 22-right ahead of UC Berkeley.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    That was funny!

I got a pop-up for Phoenix University... but they didn't have a link for top-rated online colleges.

WTF?
    Nah. Its probably under "Top-rated secretarial training schools."

Registered
    Jul 1998
    tied for 58
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Texas State shows up in first tier

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Floridays
    .....Where does your alma mater fits in?.....
    Mine is not listed...too small, I guess.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Univ. of Tenn at 96
    Surprised to see FSU at 111 but can understand that since it maintains its status of number 1 party school in the nation
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Mine is not listed...too small, I guess.
    I am not even looking on the assumption that I either don't REALLY have an "alma mater" or that it won't be listed.

I have taken classes at something like 9 different schools but I still do not have my Bachelor's (yup, you guessed it: I have a classic case of "Military Wife Syndrome" ). I have an associate of arts from Barstow Community College and a certificate in GIS from UC-Riverside. In another zillion years, if all goes my way, I will have a Bachelor's from CSU-Bakersfield. If I am not utterly burned out on college, life, the universe, and everything, theoretically I will thereafter attend USC (a small satellite campus they have in Sacto) for my master's.

So I was going to just keep my mouth shut and refrain from humiliating myself but then you had to go and fess up.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    UC Davis ranks #42... It was an okay school... good access to profs, which is something that I liked. Coming from a magnet school in L.A. with lots of teacher to student time, it was nice to have access to profs for clarification and further discussion.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Also not listed. I'm not surprised.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Famous alumni from your alma mater
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 19 Nov 2012, 4:10 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Nov 2010, 9:59 PM