Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Really Strange Coincidence Involving The Bear

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Really Strange Coincidence Involving The Bear

This is a true story.

I was married to Donna for fifteen (15) years. Eventually we grew apart and we both ended-up in new marriages. My wife, Katie, and I, have been married more than ten (10) years and tough times have brought us closer together.

Back to Donna.....

As you all know, this ole' Bear draws cities. Have been doing it for many years. Since the early 1960's, in fact. All of the info about the cities I draw is in the thread named DE NOC. (Go there for info on the 2,000,000+ metro that is "greater" De Noc.)

In all of those years of drawing cities, when I was married to Donna, she was only "mildly" interested in all my maps, spread all over the rooms. She probably thought (at that time) that I had an unusual hobby.
    _____

Fast-forward to The Bear reading the local newsprint, The (Toledo) Blade. An article on the first page is about a local group, working with the University of Toledo, that is holding an invitation-only meeting this week. The topic is an offshoot of "sprawl".....looking at the problems facing Toledo's inner-ring of suburbs and how those problems are or will mimic the big-city issues that Toledo-proper faces.

The more I read on this topic the more interested I got, thinking, I wonder if this non-planning dude known as The Bear can crash this meeting and catch some education on the topic? Being a fake planner doesn't insulate me from wanting to understand the topic. FG sakes, I even have listed on my DE NOC TO-DO LIST an assignment to do some internet research on the Minneapolis Smart Growth web site.

Then.....OMG.....the University of Toledo coordinator of the whole Smart thing here in Toledo is......Donna, the ex-wife.

What a strange world we live in.

(I haven't talked to her in a couple years.....last time was at Loma Linda's, when Donna and Katie exchanged stories and barbs about another wife.)

What a strange coincidence.

Bear Baffled :-C
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    BUN, you live a truely remarkable life....it would fascinate me to sit and chat with you a few hours.

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    BUN, you live a truely remarkable life....it would fascinate me to sit and chat with you a few hours.
    It would probably be easier for me than anyone else here. I only live about 12 miles from The Bear!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Another Coincidence !!!

I just had to pry open this real old thread.....

In other thread(s) I have shared the fact that my distribution center has an astounding safety record. Since early 2001, we have had one lost-time injury. We worked more than 1.3 million labor hours without a lost-time injury. Our safety program is a true group (team) effort, involving personnel from all areas of the company. Because of our great stats, we have been presented a number of awards from the State of Ohio.

The State of Ohio's Bureau of Worker's Compensation has a 4% premium discount program for all companies in the state. To get this discount (which totals thousands of dollars for even smaller companies) there are a number of safety-related functions that a company representative has to attend. The requirements also call for the CEO of the company to attend at least ONE "CEO Event" during a fiscal year. (The Safety Council holds two such events.)

Because of our great safety program, our CEO (with a little help from your's truly) is tentatively scheduled to be the keynote speaker at the scheduled March "CEO Event". The Safety Council feels that there will be a ton of safety "buy-in" if a group of corporate CEO's here a safety success story.
    _____

Today I attended the first (of the two) "CEO Events". It was a luncheon with about 200 people, held in suburban Maumee, OH. Guess what the keynote talked about?

PLANNING.

The Keynote Speaker was an official of the Toledo Metropolitan Council of Governments. His speech focused on the relationship of good community planning and safety.

I was amazed at the coincidence of having a "wannabe" planner at one "CEO Event" and a "real" planner.....talking "real" planning issues.....at the other "CEO Event".

Bear The Wannabe
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 26
    Last post: 03 Sep 2010, 3:57 PM
  2. Involving kids in the planning proccess
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 25 Sep 2009, 10:26 AM
  3. Vacation protocol involving co-workers
    Career Development and Advice