Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Philly->Center City->Logan Square

Registered
    Apr 2003

Philly->Center City->Logan Square

If you’re on foot you’re going to Logan Square. If you’re driving you’re going past Logan Circle.

The original Northwest Square provided burial plots, pasturage, and a for public executions - a gallows stood here until 1823. In 1825, the square was renamed for James Logan, who had served as secretary to William Penn and chief justice to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.

The Ben Franklin Parkway cuts a strong diagonal across the grid of Center City from City Hall to the Art Museum. The need to carry 10 lanes of traffic between City Hall . . .

. . . and the then yet to be built Art Museum

the need must’ve been intense back in the 1930’s because it trumped everything in its path. Logan Square was no exception and was dissected into 5 parts.

The Circle in the Square: Logan Square entered the 20th century as a pleasant but modest area of trees, flowers, and walkways. But its size and appearance changed dramatically with the adoption of Jacques Griber's Parkway plan of 1919. Griber, a French architect, created the final design for the city's great diagonal boulevard, the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, and like a jewel at its center he placed a remodeled Logan Square. Basing his concepts on the Place de la Concorde, Griber designed a large traffic circle in the square with space for a monument and formal gardens in the middle. The square's western boundary, originally close to 19th street, was extended to 20th. As the square became a link between Center City and the green belt of the upper Parkway, the surrounding area changed predominantly residential neighborhood to a local for major cultural institutions such as the Franklin Institute and the Free Library.

The Franklin Institute

The Free Library – people take it for granted the association between “Library” and “Free” but it wasn’t always that way. Franklin started it here in Philly as “the Free Library of Philadelphia” and so it remains.

The Museum of Natural Sciences

Swan Fountain

There was apparently a building boom of those round hotel buildings in the early 80’s. They had a quite an impact on the development of the lower Parkway.

The concentration of hotels is much closer to downtown than the rest of the Parkway. Most out-of-towners think Center City is synonymous with “downtown.” When people here say “downtown” they usually mean a more specific area within Center City. That being the area between Chestnut and Arch from 15th to 22nd St with its large concentration of modern office towers.

Unfortunately, suburban do-gooders who are on a mission to save the souls of city heathens set up shop every evening (with their grease trucks) along the shoulders of the Parkway and serve free hot meals to anyone in need. The result: You don’t just wind up with a lot of homeless – you wind up with an encampment. This is guy is “traveling lightly” it’s not rare that you see cots and mosquito netting.

So that’s Logan “Square” and a bit of the Parkway.

Coming up - the last in the series - Center Square/City Hall
    Last edited by jresta; 28 Sep 2004 at 11:23 AM.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Philadelphia sure has a sense of grandeur-yet remains intimate at the same time. Still one of my favorite cities-I need to explore it in more detail.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Those pictures remind me of the wonderful time I had in Philly last year. JFK Plaza is a sight to behold, with the Museum of Art in the background. You find other drags like the Parkway in other cities, but seldom done so well.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I love the the Art Museum district of Philly. Do you have any pictures of the Lincoln Drive/Wissahickon area? My wife's best friend used to live in a castle looking apt. building on the top of the hill. It's an absolutely gorgeous building.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I probably won't get up towards Lincoln Drive for quite a while but it's def. on my list.

Philly is grand - or could easily be with a little bit of pressure washing and some elbow grease. One thing that's hard to convey is that, in all of the center city neighborhoods i've photographed i've never been more than a 1/2 mile from City Hall.

The way i've always experienced it by bike is that you can be in Colonial Williamsburg and three minutes later you could be in New York or Chicago.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 15 Oct 2004, 4:57 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Oct 2004, 3:46 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 27 Sep 2004, 1:58 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 21 Sep 2004, 12:50 PM
  5. Center City Philly->Chinatown
    Cities and Places