Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fox News is not bad for your health?

Registered
    Nov 2002

Fox News is not bad for your health?

As I think we've discussed on here before, a recent study by the RAND corp. found a link , although not directly causal, between poor health and sprawl. The basic conclusion of the study was that urban dwellers generally have fewer health problems than suburbanites. Well that's just a bunch of tree-hugging dirty hippy crap. Well at least according to an op-ed piece from none other than those non-partisans at Fox News and the Cato Intitute.

Read it right here.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Fox News is always good for some Comic Relief anytime. Plus, my blood pressure is always high while watching Fox News making IT hazardous to my health.

It seems they have to put down everything that goes against what one side calls the "American Way" and instill fear and false information about what the original argument is trying to convey.

*From the article "Subsequent media reports, unfortunately, skipped right over this crucial point."

-I'm glad the almighty Fox is here to help....
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2003
    From the article...

"The other study funder is the Robert Woods Johnson Foundation (search), perhaps the largest private sponsor of the lifestyle nanny researchers who continually lecture the public about its smoking, drinking, eating and exercise habits."

Yeah, shame on RWJF for not encouraging the public to smoke, drink and eat too much, and lay on the couch. Pay no attention to the ever-increasing numbers of obese people. It's not a problem.

"I suspect that both organizations have been influenced by environmental activists who oppose suburban expansion."

And who funds the Cato Institute? Anyone know, or care to take a guess? I don't know, but I suspect they have their own source of like-minded deep pockets.
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Dec 2003

And while we're on the subject of Fox News...

Check this out...

Link
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    May 2003
    Well I sure am glad those tree-hugging communists at The RAND Corporation were finally put in their place.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by nuovorecord
    From the article...

"The other study funder is the Robert Woods Johnson Foundation (search), perhaps the largest private sponsor of the lifestyle nanny researchers who continually lecture the public about its smoking, drinking, eating and exercise habits."

Yeah, shame on RWJF for not encouraging the public to smoke, drink and eat too much, and lay on the couch. Pay no attention to the ever-increasing numbers of obese people. It's not a problem.

"I suspect that both organizations have been influenced by environmental activists who oppose suburban expansion."

And who funds the Cato Institute? Anyone know, or care to take a guess? I don't know, but I suspect they have their own source of like-minded deep pockets.
    As a card-carrying Libertarian and a regular reader of REASON magazine, I have seen plenty of articles mentioning the Cato Institute or references to same.

Cato "stuff" doesn't taste at all like the propoganda that emits from Fox.

Bear In The Cato Pen
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Good news: Bad news
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Apr 2012, 12:56 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last post: 20 Aug 2010, 2:06 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 Dec 2009, 3:39 PM