Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Names, Names, Names

     
    Registered
    Sep 2004

Names, Names, Names

Hello All,
    I am messing around, but I started a project... I'm planning a small to midsized municipality. But I am really having trouble with names. I just cant seem to pick a good name for it so I can list it in the designs. Currently it is called "King's City", it is of a maritime theme. All the buildings, etc. are of maritime architecture motif. Can some people please help me? I would appreciate the help. Or can someone at least tell me what they think of the current name.

JW

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Just one question... is this a REAL city or municipality or are you talking about a Sim city (or Amish Sim City) style city? If it's the 1st case you're A -Ok here... else, you should probably go so some SC forum (although there are a few SC fans and Amish sim city fans around here)

     
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    No,
    I don't like SC. I am using Arcview. It's an older version, i'm still learning a bit on it. A couple other people are helping me out on this. I am not doing this to be playing around. I am actually planning something that I think has some potential. It's for a project i'm doing in one of my classes i'm taking.

Registered
    Jul 2003

Total Ego Trip

When I play SimCity, I usually name my towns after me: San Michel is my favorite town name and another favorite is Michele Falls (especially if there is a waterfall somewhere). :-P

Historically, a lot of places really are named after people or are given descriptive names or named for something else that the founder was fond of. Fairfield California is named after Fairfield Connecticut, I believe because it was the founder's beloved hometown back east. "Columbus" (ohio, georgia, etc) is named after a historical figure. Vacaville is Spanish for "Cowtown". Virginia was supposedly named for whoever that Virgin Queen was (Elizabeth?) back in England (the one who kept the thrown and ruled her whole life by not taking a husband!). We have an emerging town here called Cordelia -- which is the name of, um, the founder of Fairfield's daughter? Kennewick is some word in some Indian language -- like "land of ill winds" or some such because of the high rates of asthma et al in that region due to the climate. Montana means "mountain". Bellevue means "beautiful view" in French and Bellavista is the same expression in Spanish or maybe Italian (or both??). Mariposa (county in California and common street name out here) is Spanish for "butterfly".

That is just stuff I can think of off the top of my head. With a little research, you could turn up lots more name origins -- most of which are really very ordinary once you know the translation and/or thing it references. I am assuming you are American. "King" has little meaning in this culture, these days -- although "the king's highway" or "royal road" (" el camino real" in Spanish, I think) has historical roots back in Europe and the European settlers brought that meaning with them to the new world, so you do find roads with such names here. (Which isn't to say you can't or shouldn't use King in the name -- just giving you a little feedback. It is your creation -- name it whatever you want. )

HTH.

PS: "Wendy's" was named after the founder's daughter too.
    Last edited by Michele Zone; 02 Oct 2004 at 3:52 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Suggest "Fairwinds" for a name.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    More suggestions from the "king" (er, I mean, The Bear) of Amish city planning.....

Anchor Pointe
    Starboard Estates
    Seaside (might have already been used, heh heh heh)
    Trade Winds Place
    Schoonerville (kidding of course)
    Knots Landing (hmmmm, sounds familiar.....)

Bear Bear By The Sea,By The Sea, By The Beautiful Sea.....
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    For nautical themed parks what about

cunard
    princess
    stuebing
    isaac
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    breezy sands

It fits for the beach/ harbor idea

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Little + after names
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Sep 2010, 7:50 AM
  2. Go for the big names?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 07 Jun 2007, 5:16 PM