Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Long-Range Listening To AM Radio

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I listened to KDKA, 1020, from Pittsburgh from southeastern North Carolina. It was comforting to hear after a tiring day of driving.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    As much as this Bear has liked Toyota trucks (owning a number of Tacomas and now sliding around in a rugged Tundra) the radios in these vehicles suck. Long-range listening to AM radio is difficult.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Got a Panasonic RF-2800 coming in from eBay.

6" ferrite, which might need some modding for great DX.

Enough radios for now. I'm probably going to flip the RF-1150. It cleaned up real nicely. All it needs is a new antenna, and it's good to go back on eBay. I also have an American Electrola DXC-100 radio in nearly perfect shape that I might put up for sale. Made in the USA, believe it or not.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I also have an American Electrola DXC-100 radio in nearly perfect shape that I might put up for sale. Made in the USA, believe it or not.
    What are you asking for it?

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Driving home from a party tonight, I picked up WCBS 880 in New York. I tuned in right as they were doing the traffic reports. At first, I thought I thought it was a story about 9/11, because they mentioned the World Trade, but as I continued listening, I realized they were using it as a reference point when reporting on conditions on the subway system. Then they mentioned the PATH train in New Jersey, the tunnels and bridges, traffic conditions on the L.I.E., traffic conditions in Connecticut. Cool stuff.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Driving home from a party tonight, I picked up WCBS 880 in New York. I tuned in right as they were doing the traffic reports. At first, I thought I thought it was a story about 9/11, because they mentioned the World Trade, but as I continued listening, I realized they were using it as a reference point when reporting on conditions on the subway system. Then they mentioned the PATH train in New Jersey, the tunnels and bridges, traffic conditions on the L.I.E., traffic conditions in Connecticut. Cool stuff.
    On the way home after watching the last few innings of the Brewers' BIG win last night - it was being shown on the stadium scoreboard of their Class 'A' Minor League affiliate team here in Appleton - I had my choice of where to listen to the Cardinals @ Phillies game as both KMOX (1120 AM in Saint Louis, MO), the Cardinals' flagship, and WPHT (1210 AM in Philadelphia, PA), the Phillies' flagship, were coming in loud and clear on my car radio.

Mike

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Revisiting this one..

So lately on my late night meetings I have come across the usual suspects for AM radio in my area.

740 KCBS -San Francisco (CBS)
    1140-KHTK Sacramento (Sports Talk)
    KNX 1070 LA (CBS)
    810 KGO San Francisco (ABC)

but lately have been treated with some gems like KSAL out of Salt Lake City, I listened to the world series on ESPN on XEPE from Baja California (the tip was listening to PSA's in spanish about mexico..hilarious) some radio station out of Montana, and a KOMO out of seattle. Good stuff.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Mar 2004
    When conditions are right I can get Philly's news station! I can also get WBBZ(?) out of Chicago.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'm sounding like a geek here.

If I go to Iceland in February, I'd like to pack a small multiband radio, to scan around the bands one night and what kind of DX I can find. It's got to have a large ferrite for AM, and it should have longwave coverage.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Actually heard a faint broadcast signal on longwave (171 KHz).on my little Grundig Yacht Boy 400 yesterday night. Odds are it was Radio Mediterranee International from Morocco. It was the first time I ever received a longwave station here in the US. I'm also discovering a lot of Asian Indian music stations on the AM band late at night with the Yacht Boy. There seems to be more stations playing Bollywood than Mexican or Caribbean music. Toronto, perhaps? I'm also regularly hearing KXEL (1540) from Waterloo, Iowa clearly on most nights; probably the most distant AMer I can get without an external antenna.

I love that llittle YB400. Bought it on eBay as a travel/camping/DX-in-bed radio, and plan on taking it to Iceland just to see if I can receive North American AM stations from there. Very sensitive on all bands, selective, and terrific sound quality for its size. If there's no interference on the AM band, it'll lock in a station at every frequency at night. You can still find them on Amazon, sold as the Grundig G4000A.

I have too many radios now, especially for someone who's not really a radio geek. I think I'm going to eBay the American Electrola and Eton G3500. Probably keeping the Panasonic RF-1150 (my downstairs bathroom/morning NPR radio). I don't now what to do with the mint-condition Sears Com-Trek IX I picked up at an estate sale a while back. It's a gorgeous, solid late 1960s-early 1970s radio in the Zenith Transoceanic vein, but I can't find a place for it in the house. I'd consider selling the Panasonic RF-2800 and Com-Trek for a shot at a Panasonic RF-2200 or Grundig Satellit 500.

That's not to mention the clock radios; a Proton 320 clock radio in the upstairs bethroom, a Boston Acoustics Duo-I by my bedside, Boston Acoustics Solo in the kitchen, and Boston Acoustics Recepter HD awaiting a guest bedroom.

Anyone here own a radio from Tivoli?

I've got a Boston Acoustics Solo II on my night table and it's the best piece of audio equipment I've ever owned. I'd like to score a nice Bang & Olufsen stereo some time, but resources are currently unavailable.
    Je suis Charlie

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Long range planning department
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 07 May 2007, 8:50 AM
  2. Current or long range planning?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 24 Sep 2005, 11:07 PM