Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: But Wait! My Beer is only 14oz...Liquor Commission..Help

Registered
    Jul 2002

But Wait! My Beer is only 14oz...Liquor Commission..Help

OH I'm not a happy beer drinker. Last night I went to one of my favorite watering holes, bellied up to the bar and ordered a "pint" of local brew on the handpulled tap. My beer arrived and my pains eased....... but only temporaily. As I wrapped my hand around the "pint glass" I hoisted it to my mouth took a sip and set the beer down.

At this point I noticed 3 things:
    1) I had just drank nearly 1/3 of my beer on my first sip
    2) My routine 16oz curls were easier then usual and I havent worked out in nearly 2 weeks
    3) When I picked up my glass the tips of my fingers wrapped around my glass and touched.

I found this odd, turned to my buddy and he said "I don't think this is a 16 oz glass"

He was right it was only 14oz's. I asked the bartender
    PBD: "Hey is this a Pint"
    Bartender "Yup, that is what you ordered right"
    PBD: "But this seems small for a pint"
    Bartender: "Well we got new glasses, they're 14oz glasses"
    PBD: :-C "SO, it is not a Pint, isn't a pint 16oz. Is this the same price as your old pints"
    Bartender: "The Arcadia IPA is $4.75"
    PBD: "You mean it is $0.50 more and 2 oz less"

By this time my 14oz pint is gone

Bartender: "Hey I'm just pouring the beer, would you like another one"

PBD: 8ol "How much are you Miller Lite bottles?"
    Bartender: "$2.75"
    PBD: "If it is a 12 oz bottle and you don't pour out 2oz I take that."

SO I get my bill and on the bill it says "pint" By this time I told my self I will not support the place anymore. It is a shame because I had a relationship with this bar. It was a great little/dark/smokefree Irish bar in a old neighborhood with cool people .

SO Do I report them to the State Liquor Commission? Help

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    He was right it was only 14oz's.
    . . .

I would check up on the laws, call the owner on it (explain to him that you're a long-time loyal patron), if you get nowhere and you have a case call the State.

You don't mess with a man's beer.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Talk to me PBD. We'll wrap those mofo's around a tree by the time we're done....by chance was this watering hole in downtown BC?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Talk to me PBD. We'll wrap those mofo's around a tree by the time we're done....by chance was this watering hole in downtown BC?
    Kalamazoo's Vine Neighborhood

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Kalamazoo's Vine Neighborhood
    O'Duffys.....I both love and hate that place. What a great location - the interior of a neighborhood. Great ambiance - a huge wooden bar circa 1890. Unfortunately also located downstairs from a vegan, womyns, organic coop restaurant and frequented by yuppie scum all too aften.
    I say never go there again.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 1998
    OMG... Call John Stossel !
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Feb 2002

Awww Griffins

((i'm assuming))

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by giff57
    OMG... Call John Stossel !
    GIVE ME A BREAK !!!

(whatever)
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Maybe you could enlist the aid of this crusader for the fair pint.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    O'Duffys.....I both love and hate that place. What a great location - the interior of a neighborhood. Great ambiance - a huge wooden bar circa 1890. I say never go there again.
    NOOOOO don't tell me that. I love that place. (when I can get a seat)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    NOOOOO don't tell me that. I love that place. (when I can get a seat)

Why did you omit all the negative references to that place from my post copy? You must face reality. O'Duffy's is for yuppie pond scum. The sooner you come to this realization the sooner you will start doing your beerdrinking at Kraftbrau.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    The sooner you come to this realization the sooner you will start doing your beerdrinking at Kraftbrau.
    I like Kraftbrau although I often forget about it. Kraftbrau is what Bells used to be 5 years ago and I miss that.

I gotta get back there again, soon.

Quote Originally posted by donk
    Maybe you could enlist the aid of this crusader for the fair pint.
    I can't belive that, this is more common than I thought. If I wasn't addicted to beer like Michaelskis is to caffeine, I'd give it up.
    Last edited by nerudite; 06 Oct 2004 at 2:11 PM.

I would be pissed. When you order a pint, you expect a pint. If I went to the store and bought a bunch of grapes and it said "1-pound" on the bag and I went home and weighed them and it was only 14 oz, I would call the Better Business Bureau. Why should a beer ripoff be treated any different?

However, just to play devil's advocate what happends if you go into a bar and order a pint of beer and you get an imperial pint, which is 20 oz. Do you then give the bartender more money or ask them to dump out 4oz?
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I say check the with the liquor board and the department of weights and measures. I am not sure what the legal definition of pint is and how that would relate to beer since there is foam.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Repo Man
    However, just to play devil's advocate what happends if you go into a bar and order a pint of beer and you get an imperial pint, which is 20 oz. Do you then give the bartender more money or ask them to dump out 4oz?

If I had a 16 oz glass with 1oz worth of foam I would be okay with that, and I have been for some time. If the bartender gave me a 20oz beer when I asked for a 16 oz beer I would tell them I ordered a 16 oz beer, because I didn't want a larger beer and I don't want to pay for a larger beer.

But when you have a 14oz glass and 1oz worth of foam and the price is $.50 more. That my beer drinking friend is one of the problems I have.
    Last edited by PlannerByDay; 06 Oct 2004 at 3:52 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    No law broken because the pint they are refering to is the "name" of the glass.

I agree with you, it sucks they both made the beer glass smaller AND increased the price.

The thing to remember about pubs is that you go for the atmosphere, and not the price of the drinks. If that were the case, we would all be at home drinking on our sofa.

Just be careful when the owner says "beer is expensive and I have to cover my costs". I have the most inexpensive prices on good tap beer in Green Bay and intend to keep it that way. If you are paying $4.50 to $5.00 for a pint of guinness or wiess beer, you are getting raked over. Especially if it is an old dive like place or under the same management/ownership for over 4 or 5 years. If you go to a trendy redevelopment area or place of new construction/renovation it may not be a bad price.

Talk to the owner if you are familiar with him. Enough of you together will get him to listen. If not, vote with your wallet. Good Luck.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    No law broken because the pint they are refering to is the "name" of the glass.
    DoD, I know you must have just been through all this quite recently, but are you sure this applies nationally? I'll bet this issue has been litigated and there is probably quite a bit of case law out there. I'm not sure I'd give up on the State Department of Weights and Measures route just yet - unless this really is something federal.

Registered
    May 2003
    Wouldn't it depend on how you order it. Like if you order a "pint of beer" and the bartender hands you a fake pint and tries to claim it's a pint, then that's false advertising. But if you said "a pint-glass of beer" then you'd be referring to a glass named a "pint glass."

This seems to be totally out of the realm of federal jurisdiction, so I imagine it's a state thing. Maybe nock back a few pints and head off to your state law library?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Breyers recently did the same thing with their "1/2-gallon" of ice cream.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    DoD, I know you must have just been through all this quite recently, but are you sure this applies nationally? I'll bet this issue has been litigated and there is probably quite a bit of case law out there. I'm not sure I'd give up on the State Department of Weights and Measures route just yet - unless this really is something federal.
    OK, for the sake of argument. PlannerByDay makes a big stink about 2 ounces of beer and and ends up calling the beurau of weights and measurements. He manages to get the bar owner into a big hassle over the 14 ounce glass.

1st, the wights and measures people could concievably say to this pub owner

W&M "you are shorting the customers 2 ounces of beer, you can't do that".

PO "The state Alcahol Regs (we have them in WI) does not specify the volume or the price we charge for our product".

W&M "Your customers feel cheated by you calling it a pint when its not".

PO "OK, I will call it a glass rather than a pint"

W&M "ok, problem solved".

Later, when they find out who bitched, and they will, it goes like this.

PO "OK, that jackass who caused the ruckuss with the state NEVER gets a beer on us here again. If he is going to bitch about 2 ounces, he will turn us in for anything else on a whim. We got to try to freeze him out of the place".

PlannerByDay is now a social pariah. His main gripe is not the raising of the price of beer, it is the mislabeling of a "pint shaped glass" sold as a "pint".

In the end, what does PlannerByDay gain from this excercise other than being the dark sphincter muscle?

My solution is to bitch to the owner and vote with his wallet, at least he won't be the posterrior of hoofed animal for 2 ounces of beer and 50 cents. Seems a bit much to get excited about.

No offense PlannerByDay, but forcing him to compete with his competition for your business is a better way to go than just being spiteful. I do feel for you, as I have been resisting peer pressure from other bar owners to increase my prices so they can to. I just don't see the point in getting crazy over it.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    ..and I think the argument is... a pint is a pint is a pint. Just as gas stations are yearly calibrated to ensure they are dispensing what we all know and agree to be a gallon...all measures of anything should be based upon an agreed upon quanitity label.

Frankly, I'd be pissed off if milk gallons became 60 ounces instead of 64 and I will vote with my wallet and not drink at an establishment that advertises a pint and serves 14 ounces.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by boiker

Frankly, I'd be pissed off if milk gallons became 60 ounces instead of 64 and I will vote with my wallet and not drink at an establishment that advertises a pint and serves 14 ounces.
    Exactly, and I would agree. But is it really worth the hassle if you can manage to find a solution other than scuttling to your local government official to solve what you can do through choice.

Litterally, the only change that will happen after making waves like that is they will call it a 14 oz glass rather than a pint. He won't be able to drink in comfort there again.

So what would he gain? But hey, drive that finishing nail with a sledge hammer.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    Exactly, and I would agree. But is it really worth the hassle if you can manage to find a solution other than scuttling to your local government official to solve what you can do through choice.

Litterally, the only change that will happen after making waves like that is they will call it a 14 oz glass rather than a pint. He won't be able to drink in comfort there again.

So what would he gain? But hey, drive that finishing nail with a sledge hammer.
    I guess it comes down to implicit and explicit truth in advertising. It's not worth the hassle to go and call a bar owner on the 2 ounce shorting. However, local media often sees it their duty to be the whistle blower and would jump all over something like this....especially in a Green Bay/Peoria sized TV/radio/print market.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Most places around here solve this problem by calling a "pint" a large draft. I'll still ask for a pint, but know what I get is what I get.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2004

Not cool

Talk to the owner and the manager by phone (tele?) and explain your concern. Also, start bad mouthing this place to everyone you know as a rip off joint and yuppie establishment .......

Don't they put people that operate like this in jail in that country???? Maybe that is just a rumor...
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Hard Liquor Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 80
    Last post: 10 Oct 2013, 11:50 PM
  2. Beer, wine, and liquor consumption
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 15 Feb 2013, 2:47 PM